General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Does anyone have access the 1970 Olds Color and Fabric Album or Dealer Trim Books?

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2017, 03:25 PM

Does anyone have access the 1970 Olds Color and Fabric Album or Dealer Trim Books?

I've finally figured out that I would like to upholster my seats with the two cloth fabrics pictured below. But I will also need the blue vinyl (or possibly called Marroceen in the trim brochure) that matches those two cloth materials as seen on the head rests and the sides of the seats of the 1970 Cutlass Supreme picture below. Does anybody know what that vinyl color was called? As far as I can tell it has a slightly metallic look to it and it's a lighter blue than the vinyl used on my 1972 Vista Cruiser (like the one shown below). I think it would go well with my bright blue carpet and I'll probably eventually redo my blue vinyl door panels to match the seats in the same fabric, just like the Cutlass Supreme. Or did Olds maybe use the same color blue vinyl after all, as with the all vinyl seat trim option and it simply looks much lighter in the Cutlass Supreme picture?

Does anybody have any comments, warnings, suggestions before I commit to buying a few yards of the expensive fabrics on Monday? For that matter, would any of you know how many yards are required to do three VC bench seats? I calculated 4 yards of the patterned blue cloth...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1970BlueCloth1.jpg (249.2 KB, 38 views)
1970BlueCloth4.jpg (1.82 MB, 27 views)
1970BlueCloth3.jpg (1.83 MB, 26 views)
1972VCBlueVinyl2.jpg (106.5 KB, 30 views)
Old November 11th, 2017, 04:19 PM

You are correct it is a lighter metallic looking color, but the fabric book only lists it as blue. The name Morocceen refers to a brand of material that is used, for several colors. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. Let me know if I can be of more assistance, I have all the color and fabric books, and product selling books, for 65-72.

Aaron
Old November 11th, 2017, 04:55 PM

That's great! Thanks Aaron. Is there any way you could take a picture how the color appears in the books? Ideally, even along with one of the 1972 blue vinyl so I have a better idea what I'm looking for since colors sometimes show up differently in a picture, depending on flash, no flash, etc. Similar to this picture I got from Oldsfan for the 1972 fabrics?...

I'd love to see how the blue Oscada fabrics look in the 1970 book, that I showed above...

Thanks, Tom
Attached Images
1972SeatTrim1.jpg (437.4 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by tcolt; November 11th, 2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old November 12th, 2017, 08:16 AM

Hope this works I have never posted pictures before.
Old November 12th, 2017, 08:26 AM

Wow I did it without my son trying to show me! Not very good with tech, I know this stuff is simple to most, but it’s foriegn to me.
Old November 12th, 2017, 09:26 AM

You did great! Thanks very much. It helps that this web-site is fairly well laid out and user friendly. I just wish we could attach pictures to private messages or emails from the site.

This will definitely help me find the right materials and hopefully get my seats done in time for a family road trip starting December 9th! Yikes!...

I just saw one problem though Aaron. When you look at these blue sample swatches and the picture I posted above of the 1970 Cutlass Supreme blue interior, I can't say that it definitely looks the same. I also noticed that your fabric brochure calls the blue cloth Oberlin and not Oscada. Is it possible that there is another page that covers the Cutlass Supreme interiors? I had no idea that Olds offered that many different fabrics!...

Last edited by tcolt; November 13th, 2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:14 AM

Here are the Supreme pages
Attached Images
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:53 AM

Thanks Aaron. I'm sorry for all the trouble. I still can't see from the small sample swatch, whether that Oscada fabric is the same as on that front bench seat on the Cutlass Supreme. Can you see it when you look at your swatch in person? At least, now we've confirmed that there also was a fabric called Oscada. Hopefully there are not two different cloths in 1970 that were both named Oscada...

Last edited by tcolt; November 12th, 2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:07 PM

Oscoda and Fame cloths were used on the Cutlass Supreme sedan (in black, blue and gold) and the Vista Cruiser (in gold only). All the same patterns, just different colors.

The Cutlass Supreme coupe used the Fame cloth with vinyl, if the bench seat was specified. Buckets could be had in blue vinyl for the coupe and convertible. The side-panel vinyl used for the blue buckets is probably what you want for your side-panel vinyl. SMS should be able to supply that if you tell them the usage. I think it is called Madrid grain. And interior trim code from a coupe or convertible with vinyl buckets might be helpful.

The Oberlin cloth that other guy showed was used for the Cutlass (not Supreme) hardtop sedan, town sedan and station wagon. Different pattern - ignore it.
Old November 13th, 2017, 09:27 PM

Thanks Oldsfan

I'm really confused now, after I was going to buy the materials from SMS today. They've been pretty difficult to deal with and I am reconsidering whether I should go with the 1970 Oscada fabric or maybe a 1972 fabric that I can get from Original Auto Interiors. From what I've learned from you, Eric and Aaron, it seems like there might be another 1971 or '72 blue fabric that I've missed, aside from the floral Orleans cloth shown in Eric's and Oldsfan's pictures, that would capture the symmetrical pattern that I like in the 1970 Oscada, but in a darker blue that's more practical and matches the rest of my Vista Cruiser better.

It hasn't been easy to envision what a small sample like those below, would look like on a bench seat so I'm hoping that one of you has more pictures of other 1971 / '72 Olds models that might fit that description. Also, is any of the samples shown below that Oscada fabric that was used in those years? These are three samples from two suppliers and if you look closely all three of them are a little different. I would love to see either one of these patterns in a picture of an Oldsmobile brochure or any picture :-)
Attached Images
20171104_205956.jpg (1.92 MB, 22 views)
20171113_210742.jpg (1.41 MB, 19 views)
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:57 AM

Your very first picture at the top of this thread shows the correct-for-1970 Oscoda and Fame cloth samples. If I am understanding correctly, you like the pattern, but feel the color is too light.

In your above photos, the larger sample in the left photo appears to match all three samples in the right photo. Not all the samples in the right photo are facing the same direction, so the pattern may look a bit different, but they all have the same diamond in the pattern. I believe the sample in the upper right corner may be face down and we are actually looking at the back of the fabric. That doesn't help. This pattern seems to be similar, but not the same as the '70 Oscoda cloth.

I am assuming the smaller sample in the left photo is the '72 Orleans cloth that the Supreme coupe used.

I do not have upholstery books for 1970 or 1971.
Old November 14th, 2017, 12:05 PM

I think your darker blue samples that all match each other might be the Oakwood cloth that they used in the '72 Delta 88...

Old November 14th, 2017, 01:16 PM

Excellent. I think you found it. I'm really unhapppy that SMS has been trying to sell me this material as the correct match for the Oscada for several months now at almost %100 a yard. All the samples in the right photo are right side up and do match up. The pattern is also symmetrical in both axes, but it may not be easy to see in the photos and the pattern may be "out of phase". Even looking at your photo of the Delta88, I recognize that it must be the same fabric (Oakwood) as my samples above, but I lose it beyond when I continue on down the patttern...

So as far as you can see, was this Oakwood material never used in a pleated two fabric combination on the mid-size cars? I'll ask Aaron if he would check his 1971 and 1970 books again to see if he can find the Orleans fabric. I have tried to find sources up and down the country who have the Detroit Books and who might be able to positively identify what these fabrics are that I can get from SMS and Original. You and Aaron have been the most helpful. Thank you!
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:28 PM

I think I found some more important information from a local fabric supplier who looked in his 1972 Detroit Books for me and found that the Blue fabric in my photos above is, in fact correct for a 1972 Cutlass, which as far as I can judge should mean that I could use that fabric with the same pleating design as the floral pattern in Eric's picture below, but with my blue fabric instead. The fabric doesn't have a name in the Detroit Books, but it has a number which matches the number with Original Auto Interiors #2610, used in Cutlass vehicles. It's also very similar, if not an exact match to the green fabric in Oldsfan's photo above.

Maybe Aaron could confirm this from the 1971 Dealer Trim Book? It still would be great to see the actual #2610 in the pleated Cutlass (or Cutlass Supreme / Holiday?) two fabric design, together with the Fame material if you wouldn't mind having one more look around. Even though I really liked the look of the 1970 fabrics, now I think that the darker blue, while not as striking as the 1970 Oscada, won't get dirty as easily, will match the rest of my 1972 Vista Cruiser better and it will be the correct year fabric. Possibly this more subtle look is a little more fitting for the VC anyway. What do you guys think?!...
Attached Images
imagejpeg_0(1).jpg (249.4 KB, 16 views)
1972BlueCloth1.JPG (105.6 KB, 18 views)
Old November 15th, 2017, 02:14 PM

Is this what your looking for? This is from the 71 book, and is shown for Delta 88 Royale Hardtop.
Old November 15th, 2017, 02:16 PM

There was no photo attached, but it should be from some type of Cutlass? Maybe there is a photo of a Blue or Green Cutlass seat with that pleated pattern?...

Last edited by tcolt; November 15th, 2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old November 15th, 2017, 02:24 PM

Here is the pic

Sorry tech problems!
Attached Images
Old November 15th, 2017, 02:37 PM

71 supreme hardtop sedan sample

It’s green, but another example
Attached Images
Old November 15th, 2017, 03:12 PM

Thanks Aaron. The blue seems to be the floral pattern again, Orleans, I think and the green seems to be a completely new pattern... I have no idea how Oldsmobile even kept all these fabrics straight.
Old November 15th, 2017, 05:29 PM

Yes, the green sample above is called Eden. It was used in the '71 Delta 88.

I am confused by your photo from the '72 Detroit Book showing samples 269, 2610 and 2611 as Cutlass only. My '72 dealer album clearly shows that pattern as matching Oakwood, which was only available on the base Delta 88. Oakwood was not used on Cutlass models at all. The Supreme used Orleans, paired with vinyl in the coupe and paired with Prima cloth in the sedan (and the Vista Cruiser), as we previously discussed. The Cutlass S, Cutlass and F-85 models used Orion cloth paired with vinyl.

Attached is the best photo of Oakwood in blue that I have access to.

At any rate, if 2610 is the fabric that you like most, that is what you should use.

Old November 15th, 2017, 05:34 PM

Old November 15th, 2017, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
I am confused by your photo from the '72 Detroit Book showing samples 269, 2610 and 2611 as Cutlass only. My '72 dealer album clearly shows that pattern as matching Oakwood, which was only available on the base Delta 88. Oakwood was not used on Cutlass models at all. The Supreme used Orleans, paired with vinyl in the coupe and paired with Prima cloth in the sedan (and the Vista Cruiser), as we previously discussed. The Cutlass S, Cutlass and F-85 models used Orion cloth paired with vinyl.5
Yes. Clearly one of them has to be wrong, but at this point I agree with you that I shouldn't care anymore what was used where or whether Oakwood was even ever combined with Prima cloth on the same seat.

I was also very surprised that none of the fabrics are listed as being compatible with my exterior color of Viking Blue 26. One would think at least the Blue fabric should match up to a blue exterior, but it's also possible that the Delta 88 never was available in Viking Blue...

Last edited by tcolt; November 15th, 2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old January 20th, 2018, 12:30 PM

Does anyone have some pictures of a Vista Cruiser third row forward facing bench seat with the Gold cloth design? I was just about to start the design lay-out with my upholsterer. I showed him a picture of what I am pretty sure is the third row seat in a Vista Cruiser (below), but after looking at my actual seat, it is only a two-seater and only 35" long. The seat in this picture looks longer and the fact that it has 7 cloth pleats on each side of the seat back also tell me that this has to be a 3 person seat (maybe a rear facing third row bench?) In any case. There is no way we could fit that many pleats on my 35" bench without making them very narrow. Can anybody measure he width of the pleats on their A-body Cutlass, F-85,, VC, etc. It seems like the width of those pleats should be the same on the front seats and all the others, is that right?

Thanks, Tom
Attached Images
1970VC3rdRow4.jpg (195.8 KB, 19 views)
Old June 20th, 2019, 11:51 AM

There was a '72 Supreme 4 door hardtop at the NAOC/NTOC meet in Addison, Texas earlier this month. I took some photos of the center armrest, but nothing else, because I thought this had been put to bed. But I do now know who the owner is...