General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What color and Fabric are my seats? '72 Vista Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by tcolt
It looks like these are the same as those that I was going to order from Auto-Interiors. I might add the Olds Rocket embroidery. Fusik has correct repros, but they don't really look nice. I'd probably buy blue ones for the rainy season though.
I didn't know Auto Interiors sold them, I do know they sell the correct carpeting for your VC though. (Medium Blue 9-009). I'll look up the interior trim colors for you later, they are part of the Cutlass Assembly Manual. I bought the repro Oldsmobile mats from Parts Place when they were on sale for 99.00 / set of 4. They only come in black, but as luck has it, my interior is black too! I do have a set of rubber floor mats like the ones Eric posted, for when the weather gets wet. My carpet is original and shows really well, so I don't need new carpeting.

Allan, any idea if the nice seat fabric in Eric's Autotrader picture is period correct Olds, at least? My VC only came with vinyl, but I don't see myself living with vinyl in the hot summer months.
Yes, it's correct and best of all it's available from SMS. Here's a link to their home page. You can request samples from them, which is cool beans and make your decision based on that. Use the 'search feature' and then go to page 6 of the offerings. There are 2 for CS. I don't know if SMS does the seat covers and ships them, or you just buy the cloth and have it done locally? Something to ask. Also - if they build the seat covers? Ask them to use the 2 cloth blue option you choose, and build the VC seat covers with that instead of gold.

I know what you mean about the "vinyl". Actually, contrary to popular belief it's not really vinyl. It's Naugahyde (an artificial material designed to resemble leather, made from fabric coated with rubber or vinyl resin). More durable than straight vinyl too.
Old March 24th, 2016, 01:54 PM

Talking

[QUOTE=Allan R;906357]I didn't know Auto Interiors sold them, I do know they sell the correct carpeting for your VC though. (Medium Blue 9-009). I'll look up the interior trim colors for you later, they are part of the Cutlass Assembly Manual. I bought the repro Oldsmobile mats from Parts Place when they were on sale for 99.00 / set of 4. They only come in black, but as luck has it, my interior is black too! I do have a set of rubber floor mats like the ones Eric posted, for when the weather gets wet. My carpet is original and shows really well, so I don't need new carpeting.

Yes. All the aftermarket carpets and floor mats seem to be made by Auto Custom Carpet and sold by Auto Interiors and Stock Interiors at slightly better prices ($75, plus extra for the Rocket embroidery.). They use the same carpet material as the molded carpet but come with rubber nibbed backing for better friction. By the way, where did you get medium blue for my Vista Cruiser. Didn't we agree that bright blue was correct?

Where did you get the blue rubber floor mats?

I ordered all the other materials, including headliner, correct cargo area and tail gate vinyl from SMS and will ask them about the blue seats for my VC when I finish all my other little projects. Right now, I'm feverishly working on welding and grinding new roof patches, then putting on lead, before April, so I can get the headliner and carpet in for a family road trip in late April. That's assuming that I did everything right on my 200-4R transmission rebuild and installation...

Last edited by tcolt; June 11th, 2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old October 27th, 2017, 10:27 PM

I am getting serious about having my 1972 VC bench seats reupholstered in a two-tone blue cloth 43 option code, but I want to make sure order the right cloth from SMS.

Eric posted a very nice picture of the front split bench seats on a 1972 Cutlass, presumably with the 43 code, but I noticed that that Blue fabric doesn't match the Covert Gold pattern on some 1970 VC seats that I saw in the parts-for-sale section. In the pictures below you can see that the blue pattern has a random-looking floral look and the gold seems more organized and symmetrical. I've tried searching for other pictures or threads of blue two-tone cloth seats for 1970 to 72 Cutlasses but maybe I'm not searching right. I can't believe that other people on this site wouldn't have restored a Cutlass with that seat code 43, but I don't know that I've searched the right models, years or sub-forums (major builds, Interiors?)... I got some cloth samples from SMS, but I also have some more coming because the first ones don't look the same as I saw on the gold seats.
Does anyone have any ideas which fabrics I should be looking for to mimic that Covert Gold in blue? Or is it possible that the Gold 44 code and the Blue 43 code had a different pattern? How can I find out for sure?

Thanks, Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1970VCSeat15.JPG (895.3 KB, 17 views)
BlueCloth1.JPG (105.6 KB, 16 views)
SeatFabric1.jpg (2.20 MB, 11 views)
SeatFabric3.jpg (1.38 MB, 16 views)
Old October 28th, 2017, 03:10 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Hi Tom. This is NOT something that I know much about personally, but I will offer some guidelines that may help.

First, as I or someone else may have pointed out earlier, according to the SPECS Guide, the cloth interior does not appear to have been available on the VC, only on bench seats in the Cutlass Town Sedan, Cutlass S, and Cutlass Supreme. I mention this only because you may need to ask for Supreme bench seat cloth, rather than VC bench seat cloth, in order to get what you want.

Second, the same interior code, 43, applies to the full size cars, but looking at the brochure, it appears that there are at least three different cloth patterns, one linear-appearing pattern for the Toronado, one quatrefoil pattern for the fullsize cars, and one "random leaf" pattern for the Cutlii, so the interior code number does not tell the whole story.

Third, cloth seat patterns were usually slightly different every year, so the 1970 seats would not make for a good comparison.

Fourth, what you really need to get your hands on is a 1972 dealer's trim book, or complete information book. I do not have one, though I do have one for my 1970 Chevelle (cost a whole $20 at a flea market in 1981). This book has not only a spiral-bound brochure with photos and info for all models, but also a separate spiral-bound bit containing paint chips, and another containing fabric swatches. This will allow you to compare and get just the right fabric.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but another member may have the book you need, and may be able to photograph the pattern you want (from a few different angles, to clearly show the pattern), so that you can properly compare it.

Good luck!

- Eric
Attached Files
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:50 AM

Thank a lot Eric. That information does help. I did some research on what Covert Gold even means and I'm beginning to think that since the name was only available in the gold 44 code, maybe the pattern was too and that the blue cloth (code 43), unfortunately was possibly only available with the pattern in your picture and in my sample? I'd still have to figure out if the whole design of the seat with it's two tone configuration and the piping design on the seat backs would have been the same as on the Covert Gold VC pictures. Are there any Cutlass owners out here that have a 944 (or maybe 942 green) trim code? I'll post another thread.

Thanks again,, Tom
Old October 31st, 2017, 11:47 AM

The brocade cloth used in Cutlass Supreme coupes and sedans was called "Orleans" and it was available in three colors - covert-gold, blue and green.

Vista Cruisers only had cloth available in one color - covert gold. The Vista Cruiser interior used Orleans cloth in the pleated areas and Prima cloth in the unpleated areas on the back rest. In order to do it like factory, you'll have to use both types of cloth. Both should be available in blue.

Last edited by Oldsfan; November 1st, 2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old November 1st, 2017, 06:34 PM

I edited my above post. Missed something in the brochure and posted the wrong information.

Attached is a scan of the Cutlass Supreme sedan page from my '72 Color and Fabric album, showing both types of cloth used on the Cutlass Supreme hardtop sedan.

Notice that Orleans brocade was also used on the door panels.

Last edited by Oldsfan; November 1st, 2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old November 1st, 2017, 06:49 PM

This is a scan of the Vista Cruiser page from the same album. Notice that in addition to the lack of a center armrest, there are 5 pleated sections and 4 buttons where the Supreme hardtop sedan had 4 pleated sections and 3 buttons. Pleated sections on the back and the bottom cushion would have been Orleans brocade. Non-pleated sections on the back would have been Prima cloth.

Old November 1st, 2017, 06:56 PM

The Cutlass Supreme hardtop coupe from the same book. Same Orleans brocade, but paired with vinyl, and a different stitching layout. Also different door panels.

Old November 1st, 2017, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the great information. I don't know if I'm more or less confused now though. The fabric you show seems to match the sample I got from SMS and Eric's picture of the Blue Cutlass above, but it doesn't match the pictures of the 1970 Vista Cruiser Seats that Olds442RedBeret has for sale. Note the different pattern compared to the more floral pattern of the 1972 Prima blue and gold cloths. You wouldn't happen to have the info on the 1970 fabrics too, to verify if they changed their Covert Gold seats from 70 to 72? So far, I've been able to find the floral pattern cloth from two suppliers (SMS and Original Auto Interiors). OAI is also sending me blue samples that are either the same, but likely, just similar to the Gold VC seats. It's not that easy to tell. I have attached a picture of the sample that they emailed me.

Thanks, Tom
Attached Images
1970VCSeat3.JPG (607.5 KB, 9 views)
1970VCSeat14.JPG (840.0 KB, 10 views)
Image (99).jpg (280.3 KB, 11 views)
Old November 1st, 2017, 09:43 PM

I have another question. I thought the vinyl used on the Vista Cruisers used a grain that was called Madrid. This is called Marocceen. Is this still the same vinyl? The Madrid sample I have below seems to have a slightly finer grain structure than the Marroceen pictured above.
Attached Images
20171101_214015.jpg (1.38 MB, 12 views)
Old November 2nd, 2017, 07:35 AM

Back in the day, it was typical for manufacturers to change materials from year to year. It's not like today where they use the same materials for years. 1970 used different material than 1972. The materials used in 1970 were called Oscoda for the brocade portion and Fame for the plain portion, according to the '70 showroom brochure.

I sold my '70 upholstery album a while back.

Morocceen is Oldsmobile's fancy name for vinyl. They used that name for years. Pontiac called it Morrokide.

Morocceen came in different patterns. Madrid was one of the patterns. The other, "broader" pattern was Elk. Elk was like naughahyde.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 08:53 AM

This is the '70 Supreme sedan interior in blue. Brocade cloth matches that which are on the Covert Gold VC seats you have pictured.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/var/a...g?m=1482061952
Old November 2nd, 2017, 06:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
...... what you really need to get your hands on is a 1972 dealer's trim book, or complete information book.
Unfortunately the Dealer Selling Guide for 72 does not include the VC in the picture layouts. That also presents a bit of a challenge on the stitching pattern and door panels. According to the Assembly Manual, Covert Gold was the only choice that was offered in cloth. This information matches information posted in the SPECS document.

I have another question. I thought the vinyl used on the Vista Cruisers used a grain that was called Madrid. This is called Marocceen. Is this still the same vinyl? The Madrid sample I have below seems to have a slightly finer grain structure than the Marroceen pictured above.
That sample looks remarkably like the Elk grain pattern used for the vinyl tops. All the 72 cars have labels that say 'vinyl', but they really mean 'naughahyde'. It's a higher grade material with cloth woven in that makes it less brittle and feel like leather.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
This is the '70 Supreme sedan interior in blue. Brocade cloth matches that which are on the Covert Gold VC seats you have pictured.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/var/a...g?m=1482061952
You have solved the mystery! I think I'll go with the 1970 fabrics. I think I like the symmetrical look of the Oscoda a little better than the random Orleans floral pattern. After all, I might as well cheat all the way and use blue fabric and the 1970 pattern on my 1972 Vista Cruiser. I hope the cloth feels good to the touch although the Brocade doesn't look so soft from looking at the samples...

Am I looking at your pictures right? It looks like the 1972 Cutlass Supreme Hardtop Coupe had gold head rests with Vinyl on the sides and otherwise Prima cloth. On the green Coupe it looks like they might be all vinyl? Allan. I hope I have the right vinyl. I bought the Madrid vinyl from SMS, as the correct material for the cargo area side covers, but I think that's supposed to be the same as for the seats, even though it looks slightly different than the samples in the brochures?...
Old November 3rd, 2017, 07:01 PM

Am I looking at your pictures right? It looks like the 1972 Cutlass Supreme Hardtop Coupe had gold head rests with Vinyl on the sides and otherwise Prima cloth. On the green Coupe it looks like they might be all vinyl?
To the best on my knowledge, they did not use cloth on the head rests.
Old November 4th, 2017, 10:12 PM

Is this the correct fabric for the "Fame" filler seat cloth?

Thanks again for your help and patience! It just seemed that the vinyl in your picture of the gold 1972 Cutlass Supreme Hardtop Sedan looks different than the all-vinyl gold Vista Cruiser picture. Also, don't you agree that the smaller and the larger Marroceen vinyl samples that are each pictured together in your brochures seem to have two different grains? Finer on the upper swatch and coarser on the lower swatch? Just like on the gold Marroceen VC bench seat... How should I decide which of the two vinyls were used together with the cloth fabric option? My guess is the upper swatch, but I'm just hoping not to spend all this time and effort and get a little detail like that wrong.

Also, do you think the attached pictures show the correct "silky filler" material Fame, to compliment the fancy 1970 Ocada fabric? I'm not sure if the information I'm getting from SMS is quite reliable. Oldsfan. Do you think the Fame fabric was identical for both 1970 and 1972 or would Olds likely have changed that too?

Finally, I just received another Ocada sample that also might be a correct match for 1972 cars. One of them is lighter and one is darker and I guess the Fame material is supposed to match either of them. I'm still waiting to hear whether the 1970 Ocada fabric in Oldsfan's picture above is actually still available.

Thanks, Tom
Attached Images
20171104_184252.jpg (1.84 MB, 6 views)
20171104_184303.jpg (2.68 MB, 6 views)
20171104_210040.jpg (1.96 MB, 7 views)