General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

My cruise control on my 72 W30 convert

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2017, 02:11 PM

My cruise control on my 72 W30 convert

Well today was an exciting day in Oldsmobile land. My 1972 W30 convertible was bought by my dad in October of 1979. By then the servo, servo bracket and the linkage/rod to the carburetor were long gone. Someone probably didn't think it looked cool enough.

I bought the the car from my parents in about 1986 and always wanted to find the missing parts and someday have cruise control again. The only remaining piece under the hood was the cruise regulator and the attached speedo cables. In the last 2 months I have got everything back and restored and today was the test drive. I had my reservations. But it worked flawlessly! Set to the desired speed and feet off the gas pedal! I was cruising up hills at exactly 60 mph where I set it. Touch the brake pedal and it slowed down. It was sooooo cool. I have quite a few remaining cruise parts if anyone needs stuff. Extra linkage, rod etc. 3 extra regulators (2 of them posted for sale). Al alsutton@shaw.ca

Last edited by OldsAl; March 17th, 2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old March 17th, 2017, 03:19 PM

wow, mine never held speed very well, probably a vacuum leak. Engine compartment looks awesome
Old March 17th, 2017, 03:59 PM

Well thank you. Yes an exciting day and I couldn't believe how accurate it was. Are you running an original regulator or a replacement transducer? Al
Old March 17th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Randy C.

That's great news! I'd like to get the cruise control working on my '69 4-4-2 convertible. I've been through the whole system and the only thing I can figure is that the transducer is not transducing. And that piece is a difficult one to find but I'm still looking. Congrats on getting your cruise control up and running!

Randy C.
Old March 17th, 2017, 04:07 PM

More often than not, when the cruise control doesn't hold the speed accurately, it is the carburetor, not the cruise unit. Dirty and / or out of adjustment carburetors cause the units to "hunt" to maintain speed settings. Quadrajets were particularly problematic, when they got some age on them, and all it took was a good re-build by someone that knew what they were doing to bring them back to like new condition. The biggest problem that I saw when I had my shop, with the Quadrajets, was people over tightening the top wing nut, and it would put stress on the top section of the carburetor, and it would eventually warp. When that happened, it was time for a new part. Back then, you could buy all the parts reasonably, and at most, it was a day or two if it wasn't in stock. On the old Rochester and Carter carburetors, the threaded rod that holds the air cleaner on, threads into the very bottom of the carburetor, but on the Quadrajet, it threads into only the top section of the carburetor.
Old March 17th, 2017, 04:37 PM

I found as well that people would over tighten the front (long) mounting bolts and warp the airhorn (lid). Then they would either leak gas or vacuum. That's the first thing I look at when picking up a quadrajet at a swap meet. Half of them have warped air horns. Al
Old March 17th, 2017, 04:42 PM

Today's test drive was really cool. I was surprised how accurately it worked. Honestly as well as the modern Cars we all drive for work.
Old March 17th, 2017, 04:43 PM

Cruise parts

Al

A buddy of mine in Sherwood Park AB has a '70 and '71 Vista Cruisers & is looking for some cruise control parts. I sent him your email address & he will be in touch.

Dave
Old March 17th, 2017, 07:58 PM

Good work Al, it's really hard to get one of those working when parts have been missing for years. People think you can just toss one in a car like a radio, and it's not that easy.
Old March 17th, 2017, 09:32 PM

I think I lucked out. But man did it work nice. Way to go Oldsmobile! Al 😁
Old March 17th, 2017, 10:22 PM

The shop manual was pretty helpful and I made sure all by vacuum hoses were tight and not leaking. I also followed the shop manual and set the gap between the linkage roller (that presses up against the carb linkage) to 30 thous. gap. Otherwise luck was on my side today. I just bought an nos regulator too that hasn't even been shipped yet and I am leery about whether or not I should put in on the car. I know a lot of guys are going with the rock auto replacement transducers. I am curious if they are having any success with them. Going to post a video I took with the motor running showing how the cruise linkage works. I know I would have benefitted from seeing it. Al
Old March 17th, 2017, 10:39 PM

Old March 17th, 2017, 10:39 PM

How do you post a video? Doh!
Old March 19th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Runner

Looks awesome! I know who to go to when I have questions when I want to get the cruise control working in my 72 W30 as well!

I think the only way to post a video is just providing a link to wherever it is hosted or by putting it on youtube and then embedding it here.
Old March 19th, 2017, 10:54 AM

Thanks Joffroi. I might try shooting another video today and posting it to YouTube. Then linking it like you said.