While ya'll were having fun.........

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Engine Builder

While ya'll were having fun.........

I was in the ER getting my lungs opened up. Thursday started to feel terribly tired and went to bed about 3:30 in the afternoon. Got up Friday and went to Doc who said I had bronchitis, of all things in the middle of the summer. The meds she gave didn't do much and by Sunday had no choice but to go to ER. They did breathing treatments and xray. Ruled out pneumonia. Feel good enough to hold the phone and tap on it right now.
But there was one huge bit of satisfaction when I got text from Tweed Vorhies that he won KOH at Norwalk on Sunday. Fresh off the dyno and straight to a win. Awesome! Totally totally awesome.
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:51 AM

Man get well soon. Life can kick us in the *** from time to time.

Last edited by firefrost gold; July 31st, 2014 at 04:10 AM.
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:58 AM

Get out of the hospital as quick as you can. Half the people in my lab here have gone to the hospital for a minor ailment and left far sicker than they went in.
Old July 28th, 2014, 08:00 AM

Very sorry to hear about that Smitty. Your presence was definitely missed. Here is something that might cheer you up even a bit more: I won the Stock (DOT legal footbrake) class so that makes two M&J customers in the winners circle.

Get well soon buddy!
Old July 28th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Engine Builder

Hot Damn. I could have been in two winners circle pics this year. I lost count but there have been a large number of M&J customers in the winners circle at this and other Olds events. I can honestly say no other has had so many take home winners trophies. THANK YOU CHAD!
Old July 28th, 2014, 06:53 PM

Get well soon !
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:19 PM

Smitty sorry to hear about your health trouble. Get well soon and please take care of yourself. Congratulations on the wins. Way to represent.
Old July 29th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Well done on the wins... and for gods sake, stay out of the hospital, there are sick people there. Get well soon!
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:44 AM

If it makes you feel any better I have to get a prostate check today.........
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Engine Builder

Originally Posted by steverw
If it makes you feel any better I have to get a prostate check today.........
I'd gladly swap places with you.

I've lost 15lbs since Thursday. No appetite and lots of sweating from fever coming and going. I am feeling better though. I was actually able to walk to the shop and back a little while ago to take some pics for a member having a problem. Didn't have to sit down when I got out there and was able to walk right back in to the house.

Thanks for all the well wishes. When the doc told me I'd need the week to recuperate I thought I'd be good to go by Wednesday. Now I'm starting to think he's a little more on track. Sucks getting older.
Old July 29th, 2014, 09:16 AM

Smitty, from one who sucks a bunch still, take care of that pair of lungs and don't push your self more than what the doc, says. I thought I was bulletproof and I'm still suffering for my stubbornness, a relapse can be disabling for life. Get well and keep us informed...Tedd
Old July 30th, 2014, 03:38 AM

Hope you´ll get better soon. Take care!

Jan
Old July 30th, 2014, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Smitty275
I was in the ER getting my lungs opened up. Thursday started to feel terribly tired and went to bed about 3:30 in the afternoon. Got up Friday and went to Doc who said I had bronchitis, of all things in the middle of the summer. The meds she gave didn't do much and by Sunday had no choice but to go to ER. They did breathing treatments and xray. Ruled out pneumonia. Feel good enough to hold the phone and tap on it right now.
But there was one huge bit of satisfaction when I got text from Tweed Vorhies that he won KOH at Norwalk on Sunday. Fresh off the dyno and straight to a win. Awesome! Totally totally awesome.
Next time tell the doc to install a nitrous system in you and when you feel sick just suck it in and you'll feel fine
Old July 30th, 2014, 04:18 PM

Get Well

Wishing you a speedy recovery. We shall pray for you and will keep our fingers crossed too. Take care Smitty.

George in Alabama
Old July 31st, 2014, 03:35 AM
Engine Builder

Well, went to Doc last night and got both butt cheeks filled with some new to me bug killer. Plus new scripts. Nothing strenuous for a week until I go back. I figure I should be going totally stir crazy by then. I'm not one who is good at "doing nothing strenuous".
Old August 3rd, 2014, 07:31 AM

Smitty, Congrats on the two wins, Really sorry to hear of your on going health issues, I have to second Tedd Thompson, take it easy. I've paid twice for not resting long enough when told to by doctors. Do understand, if the drugs do work, your going to feel better, but it ain't over yet, more rest, lots of sleep. Maybe you can dream up the better way to build a low octane, tri-carb sleeper.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 11:36 AM
Engine Builder

Originally Posted by Old Olds Fan
Smitty, Congrats on the two wins, Really sorry to hear of your on going health issues, I have to second Tedd Thompson, take it easy. I've paid twice for not resting long enough when told to by doctors. Do understand, if the drugs do work, your going to feel better, but it ain't over yet, more rest, lots of sleep. Maybe you can dream up the better way to build a low octane, tri-carb sleeper.
Thanks. I'm doing my best. Doing some small tinkering and getting stuff shipped that should have been gone a week or better ago. Never felt this way in my life for so long. Going to do a sonic check of a block later today. See how far it can go over. Hopefully about an 1/8th inch. Will make a certain 400 build easier if it does.
One of the drugs they have me on says absolutely nothing strenuous because it effects the tendons. So that limits me to just about nothing that I usually would do. I even joined FaceBook to have something to do with my extra time.
Old August 4th, 2014, 07:36 AM

Going to do a sonic check of a block later today. See how far it can go over. Hopefully about an 1/8th inch. Will make a certain 400 build easier if it does.
Turning an early 400 into a 455?
Old August 4th, 2014, 09:58 AM

Listen to the Docs Smitty! Life can wait a day or two. I hope the recovery is fast!
Old August 4th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Registered car nut

I'm not one who is good at "doing nothing strenuous".
Boy, I hear that! I'm nursing a bad shoulder. Its really hard to sit back and relax all the time. Good luck to you.
Godspeed!
Old August 4th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Engine Builder

Originally Posted by nonhog
Boy, I hear that! I'm nursing a bad shoulder. Its really hard to sit back and relax all the time. Good luck to you.
Godspeed!
Thanks. Same to you. I can at least go spend 15-30 minutes a couple times a day in the shop. Just tinkering and redding up. Finishing touches on a few things. Nothing strenuous though.
Old August 4th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Hookers under Hood

Wishing you the best on a speedy recovery, Cheers on the 2 wins with the engines out of your stable. Take it heasy !!!
Put-r-ther
Eric
Old August 4th, 2014, 11:06 AM

Wish you a fast and safe recovery!
Old August 5th, 2014, 01:13 AM
Engine Builder

Our buddy Tweed stopped by tonight. He told me it took him 5 weeks to get over this. Hopefully being 20yr younger I can make it in a bit shorter time period.
Old August 5th, 2014, 06:56 AM

Hi Smitty.
Sorry to here that you are sick, hope you are back to 100% soon.
Old August 5th, 2014, 10:51 AM
NOVICE car nut

That sucks . Glad it's heading in the other direction now .
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Engine Builder

Went doc again this afternoon. Just wasn't getting better by any measurable amount. Plus the wife was worried. He put me in the hospital for I.V. meds. Said it could take 3-10 days. So I'm gonna be going out of my mind soon. At least I'm already on the 6th floor.
Old August 5th, 2014, 04:28 PM

Went doc again this afternoon. Just wasn't getting better by any measurable amount. Plus the wife was worried. He put me in the hospital for I.V. meds. Said it could take 3-10 days. So I'm gonna be going out of my mind soon. At least I'm already on the 6th floor.
Sorry to hear that, but better safe than sorry. Hopefully you will have a cute nurse to give you your sponge baths.......
Old August 5th, 2014, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by chadman
Very sorry to hear about that Smitty. Your presence was definitely missed. Here is something that might cheer you up even a bit more: I won the Stock (DOT legal footbrake) class so that makes two M&J customers in the winners circle.

Get well soon buddy!
Congrats on the win
Old August 6th, 2014, 06:34 AM
LOST

speed recovery
Old August 11th, 2014, 12:55 PM

Well Mark, any up date? Doing better, do they have a handle on it? Just what is it, that can do this for so long?

Gene
Old August 11th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Engine Builder

Just got home from hospital. After not really a lot if improvement and having a clean chest CT they have concluded that I have Adult asthma. Basically bad bad bronchitis. Said it should clear up. Might take another week or 4. Not to stay sedentary, which wouldn't happen anyhow, but nothing strenuous either. Basically day at a time and stay on the meds. Then learn to recognize it before it bites this deep again.
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Old School Olds

Good to hear your out
and on the mend.
Get well sooner than later.
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:25 PM
KDV

Hope you feel better soon, Smitty!
Old August 11th, 2014, 04:05 PM

Thanks. I'm doing my best. Doing some small tinkering and getting stuff shipped that should have been gone a week or better ago. Never felt this way in my life for so long. Going to do a sonic check of a block later today. See how far it can go over. Hopefully about an 1/8th inch. Will make a certain 400 build easier if it does.
One of the drugs they have me on says absolutely nothing strenuous because it effects the tendons. So that limits me to just about nothing that I usually would do. I even joined FaceBook to have something to do with my extra time.
Congrats on the wins, hope you feel better soon. My wife was on a med that effects the tendons (might be the same one's you're taking) and one day she just dropped, I mean like she'd been shot. Turned out she had ruptured something in her Achilles, so make sure you listen to the docs and take it easy.

Scott
Old August 11th, 2014, 05:53 PM

Glade to hear you've been discharged, good to be home I'm sure. Take it easy, regain your good health, no doubt more wins to follow.
Old August 11th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Engine Builder

I've been in that same antibiotic that can effect the tendons. Doc specifically warned me "do nothing strenuous" because of it. So basic tinkering is all I'll be doing. Fortunately I've got a couple of very good friends that live close who are more than willing to give me a hand if I need it.
Thank you to all for the prayers and thoughts.
Old August 15th, 2014, 05:50 AM

glad to see you're feeling better
Old November 4th, 2014, 02:02 PM

I'm a bit reluctant to put this question up, but does anyone know how Smitty is doing health wise? He's building an engine for me and I haven't heard from him in about a month. I've also called but have had to leave a message on his unanswered phone. I sure don't want to intrude on his space and I'm not concerned about possible delay of the job because I'm in absolutely no hurry, but I do have interests of my own to be concerned about. Please can someone give me some good news, or just some news if it can't be good. I'm worried for him, and haven't heard from him in almost a month, which is not usual.
Old November 4th, 2014, 03:52 PM
morgan

yeah, hope things are ok, have not seen him on here in a while

Quick Reply: While ya'll were having fun.........