Spools on the street

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2014, 06:29 AM
11.52 @116

Spools on the street

Thinking of going to a full spool in my Olds. I dont drive this as much as I used to and will be buying a trailer in a few months.
Just wondering thought, opinions, expirence with these off and on the track?
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:29 AM

If you don't mind it hopping and popping the tires multiple times around every corner you might like it. Personally there are better options than putting up with that BS every time you take it for a drive.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:29 AM

There have been threads on some other forums like yellow bullet. I don't recommend a spool on the street and it is hard on axles etc. trying to turn, etc. Be sure you have top quality aftermarket axles if you go this route. I much prefer the Detroit Locker (or the Yukon locker, an updated design), but that may move you toward the 9" "Dearborn" aka Ford which is very strong anyway, and available in bolt-in setups.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:32 AM

I might add that if you hit a wet spot etc. with one tire, you are going into the wall immediately. It is a lot easier to recover with the Locker. I'm real glad that is what I had at Edgewater during the OCA race last July-August.
Old December 10th, 2014, 09:37 AM

Jim , if you do go for the spool , i have a Richmond 28 spline spool the is almost new for the 10 bolt 8.5 bolt in style Olds 10 bolt .1971-1972 . $100 shipped . BOB
Old December 10th, 2014, 01:25 PM

My dad has had a mini spool in his nova for 8ish years now. I haven't heard him complain, riding in the car I can barely feel it, only driven it a couple times and I did notice it. If a car rarely sees the street is consider it for sure.
Old December 10th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Light rain on the highway going under 55 on drag radials with a posi (not the slick style drag radial it had a tread pattern) . I might add I got caught in the rain and missed my exit because I nailed the wall . exit was less than a 1/4 mile from where I lost it. Not apple to apples., but wet road and posi on drag radials not fun lol. this was 5 years ago. The way it happened was I was switching lanes to the right shoulder lane and I was easing into it then the back end just decided nope we want to you into the left lane. Luckily there was not much traffic as I went across 4 lanes on a major interstate. Someone mentioned hitting slick spots on the track but getting caught in the rain sucks too for street/strip cars.

Last edited by coppercutlass; December 10th, 2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old December 10th, 2014, 05:09 PM

The other day I was rolling around my snow blower. Both the drive wheels are locked together unless you pull the lever to unlock that wheel. It is amazing how hard it is to make that thing turn on cement with the axle locked(like a spool). Sounds weird but that made a believer out of me.
Old December 10th, 2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Light rain on the highway going under 55 on drag radials with a posi (not the slick style drag radial it had a tread pattern) . I might add I got caught in the rain and missed my exit because I nailed the wall . exit was less than a 1/4 mile from where I lost it. Not apple to apples., but wet road and posi on drag radials not fun lol. this was 5 years ago. The way it happened was I was switching lanes to the right shoulder lane and I was easing into it then the back end just decided nope we want to you into the left lane. Luckily there was not much traffic as I went across 4 lanes on a major interstate. Someone mentioned hitting slick spots on the track but getting caught in the rain sucks too for street/strip cars.

Not sure what this has to do with this thread since the OP mentioned spools (and you did not) and the OP did not mention drag radials (and you did). My opinion, spools are NOT safe for street driving, get a good positraction rear.
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:05 PM

Let me guess jim you just chimed in to give me crap. I was just posting my mishap with wet traction and a posi . Wet traction with a spool and the track was given as an example. I gave mine although a little diffrent its just the out come of the given cicumstances which may have be less sever or more than the op. Take it with a grain of salt . Just for the sake of safety I posted that nothing more nothing less.
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I had a no slip break the pins, effectively becoming a locker. A bit rough around corners. Parrell parking was redicously violent, needless to say I went back to an open rear.
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:22 PM

I gave mine although a little diffrent its just the out come of the given cicumstances which may have be less sever or more than the op.
I would comment on this if I had the slightest idea of what you are trying to say. Again, locked spools are NOT safe for street driving, IMHO.
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:32 PM

Sorry that was on my phone. What I was saying was in my situation which was less severe than running a spool this is what happened to me. I have witnessed on 2 diffrent occasions spools breakin on tight turns in a parking lot at local hang out. If you have any issues with what I contribute feel free to pm me no need for this endless back and forth which no one else seemed to have an issue with what I posted.

Last edited by coppercutlass; December 10th, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:37 PM

If you have any issues with what I contribute feel free to pm me no need for this endless back and forth which no one else seemed to have an issue with what I posted.
No need for that, you post in public, I reply in public, I stand behind my positions.
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:40 PM

Sorry that was on my phone. What I was saying was in my situation which was less severe than running a spool this is what happened to me. I have witnessed on 2 diffrent occasions spools breakin on tight turns in a parking lot at local hang out. If you have any issues with what I contribute feel free to pm me no need for this endless back and forth which no one else seemed to have an issue with what I posted.
I see that you edited your comment about posi rears being inappropriate for the street, which I COMPLETELY disagree with. Too quick for me! LOL I wish that you would take your time when you post and not hurry and then decide to edit every post you make.
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:45 PM

I took that down because many won't agree with that. And I didn't feel like endlessly explaining why. Simple reasoning for that is that in a low traction situation both tires will still spin. With an open rear its somewhat safer . Like I said a daily driver everyday driver I would do open rear all day. In my 72 I have a posi but it sucks in the rain. You see jim you argue peoples personal opinions which imo is pointless because its like me telling you you worship the wrong god and I'm right and your wrong. Sorry to go to that extreme but this is how you begin a **** butter sandwhich.

Last edited by coppercutlass; December 10th, 2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:49 PM

I took that down because many won't agree with that. And I didn't feel like endlessly explaining why. Simple reasoning for that is that in a low traction situation both tires will still spin. With an open rear its somewhat safer . Like I said a daily driver everyday driver I would do open rear all day. In my 72 I have a posi but it sucks in the rain.
I completely disagree, a properly functioning posi-traction (limited slip) rear poses zero safety issues on a daily driver street car, IMHO. What is the basis of this position?
Old December 10th, 2014, 06:57 PM
major noob

You both have your own opinions so let's agree to disagree ad get back to the OPs question here
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by billmerbach
You both have your own opinions so let's agree to disagree ad get back to the OPs question here
I have stated my opinion regarding the OPs questiion, Copper brought up several other unrelated issues (posis, drag radials) without addressing the OPs question. Again, to re-state my position, spools are NOT safe for the street while posi-traction rears ARE completely safe, IMHO.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:03 PM
major noob

But I do in fact see what copper is trying to input he may be implying spools aren't safe yet at the same time addressing that he thinks the op shouldn't go posi either but that's all I'm inputting here no reason to blow this thread up with and argument
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:10 PM

But I do in fact see what copper is trying to input he may be implying spools aren't safe yet at the same time addressing that he thinks the op shouldn't go posi either but that's all I'm inputting here no reason to blow this thread up with and argument
No argument, but to suggest that a posi rear is either unsafe or a bad idea is a bad idea and completely absurd. Posi rears have been used safely for decades on a multitude of vehicles with no issues that I am aware of. If anyone has evidence or opinions otherwise, please feel free to bring that up. For Copper to recommend NOT using one is just BAD advice. He NEVER mentioned anything about a spool. I am not a mind reader. Don't "imply", state clearly so that there are no misunderstandings. IMHO.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:13 PM

I didn't say he should not go posi. I know the op. will be racing his car and you need positive traction. Im saying for everyday practical driving I don't like posi traction unless its in a 4x4 truck which it just betters your odds of getting out f a stuck situation. in a low traction situation it poses risk because if you are in the rain and you loose traction your car will spin ( go sideways) much easier than with an open diff. I have driven in the rain with an open diff and with a posi. Its pretty easy to say that in the rain in a low traction primarily slick situations the open diff is better or more practical for daily driving like normal commuting . I don't drive my car to work every day so it has a posi., but in the rain at every light you are either going really slow or you are sliding side ways trying to get traction. That's based on my personal experience. Im done here its pretty obvious captjim is a troll. You are arguing something I edited to avoid this because I know if I left that up someone will disagree. I was simply showing what happened in the rain with a posi in my car with drag radials which many guys use to tool around town in their street strip car and since we cant control the elements it happens. that's all !!!!!!! Jesus Christ Jim you must lead a very boring life to take every single post so literal.

Last edited by coppercutlass; December 10th, 2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:17 PM
major noob

My misunderstanding of the situation I thought this was gonna be an occasional street car so thats my bust as far as how I understood what you were saying
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:17 PM

I didn't say he should not go posi. I know the op. will be racing his car and you need positive traction. Im saying for everyday practical driving I don't like posi traction unless its in a 4x4 truck which it just betters your odds of getting out f a stuck situation. in a low traction situation it poses risk because if you are in the rain and you loose traction your car will "spin" much easier than with an open diff. I have driven in the rain with an open diff with a posi. Its pretty easy to say that in the rain in a low traction primarily slick situations the open diff is better or more practical for daily driving like normal commuting . I don't drive my car to work every day so it has a posi., but in the rain at every light you are either going really slow or you are sliding side ways trying to get traction. That's based on my personal experience. Im done here its pretty obvious captjim is a troll.
I completely disagree. Posi traction gives a driver BETTER control, not less. IMHO. Two tires getting traction is safer and offers more stability and control. Calling me names does NOT support your argument, I do not do that to you.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:21 PM

My misunderstanding of the situation I thought this was gonna be an occasional street car so thats my bust as far as how I understood what you were saying
Again, I have NO friggin idea what you are trying to say????? Please, if you want to have an intelligent conversation/debate, take the time to make coherent statements.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:25 PM
major noob

I was apologizing to copper
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:29 PM

In my experience a car with a posi always goes sideways at a much faster rate than an open diff car. This is my theory. In a slick situation you got both tires spinning creating a hovering affect due to the way the chassis moves under load ( or torque ) it will sway to the right rear it also depends on the evenness of the pavement. Now In the same scenario with an open diff you got one tire spinning and one being planted still or spinning at a much lower rate due to it not being powered limiting your side to side movement making it less likely to get sideways . now apply this to a hydroplaning situation and once the car free wheels revs up and the *** end sways over all bets are off. that's what happened to me. I lost traction car free wheeled (reved up) and that was it. The Only other way I can think about it is lets sway you are trying to walk up a sand dune or a hill side with a lot of loose dirt and you keep slipping down when trying to walk with both feet. What do you normaly do ? you start to use one foot more than the other to climb up it vs equally powering both legs ( walking normal ) to make it up the hill side. This being human 2wd now human 4wd you will crawl up evenly which is what a 4x4 does and why posi units in a 4x4 are the way to go if you do a lot of off roading or are serious about your 4x4. for drag racing you want to equally power both tires much like a sprinter running a 400 meter dash powers both feet equally.

Last edited by coppercutlass; December 10th, 2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:30 PM

From the sounds of it the op's car is mainly a drag car. Probably will never drive it in the rain, unless he gets caught. And then, and I don't know him, he probably won't be cruising down the freeway and in town it is easy to pull over and or adjust your driving to get home safe. If it were me I'd go spool for the sake of price vs a nice posi or locker.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:36 PM
11.52 @116

Thanks everyone. Double thanks to coppercutlass. Been there with mine in the train. I asked this spool question to see what kind of feedback i'd get. I might be building a 12 bolt Chevy axle for my 69 and saw spools as a simple and cheap way to go. More than likely i will do a locker or posi.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:41 PM
11.52 @116

This is an occasional street car for nice days and cruise nights. I plan on trailering it to most if not all Olds and BOPs dragrace events next year.
All steel except front bumper will a full interior and exhaust. Pump gas 455 hoping for 10s.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:42 PM

Jims2000lt Sorry for the gunking of the thread. Captjim is an asshat . Anyhow hopefully you can get your car out to Byron if there is a bop event next year.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

The OP asked for both on the street and off. Trip's reply was on dry situations is spools pop and grind around corners. 2nd responce was spools not so bad. Copper's reply was with standard posi- can loose traction in wet. ( Been there done that, luckily I just did 2 -360's in the road, and did not hit anything. I had not even got to 40 mph yet, and ran accross some water draining accross the road.) Spools most likely would created a quicker loss of traction, and should be a consideration.

I think the point is that like everything, there are good points and bad points. That is what the OP was asking. Then, he can make a decision, on what he can live with.
Old December 10th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Sorry Jim, Looks like I am too slow typing. By the way nice looking car.
Old December 11th, 2014, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
There have been threads on some other forums like yellow bullet. I don't recommend a spool on the street and it is hard on axles etc. trying to turn, etc. Be sure you have top quality aftermarket axles if you go this route. I much prefer the Detroit Locker (or the Yukon locker, an updated design), but that may move you toward the 9" "Dearborn" aka Ford which is very strong anyway, and available in bolt-in setups.
I agree to tough on the axles,don't plan on making any tight parking lot maneuvers.
Old December 11th, 2014, 04:10 AM

OP
Spools are fine on a lightly used street car.
They take some thinking about though. When I have to drive home from the track in light rain, I slow it down, i take back roads, I round my corners out a little and I'm always thinking about it.
As far as axles...if you've got enough power for racing to want a spool, you should have strong enough axles to handle them.

I've had a spool for about 8-9 years now. No problems. Probably sees 1500 miles a year, to track and back, out cruising, drove 85 miles down to Daytona 2 weeks ago for Turkey Rod Run. No problems.
Just be smart. They're awesome at the track.
-pete

6.89@100.0 1/8
Old December 11th, 2014, 04:36 AM

In my experience a car with a posi always goes sideways at a much faster rate than an open diff car.
Experienced 4 wheelers know that posi/limited slip/locker diffs can be a real problem on slick and steep off-chamber situations. Driving all 4 wheels, or both wheels on one axle, isn't always the best idea in certain situations.
Old December 11th, 2014, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by jims2000lt
. More than likely i will do a locker or posi.
I think if you weigh all the factors vs the slight savings in cost, that is a wise decision. Modern drag radials work so well that I really don't think a spool will help the launch enough to justify the hassles. IMHO.
Old December 20th, 2014, 04:58 PM

I have rocked spools on the street it is a bitch you will get tired of it in a few weeks...