Rocket Build

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2022, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 69455
My 505 is just a pump gas street build. 4000# car
Best to date 10.24 130mph ( 100 shot )
11.03 engine
Still runs 80 down the expressway with A/C, handles like a vet.

Look foreword to seeing new builds and info !
I ask because I see your builds as very sensible, nice work, what MPH is the 11.03 running? What trans do you run?
Old January 17th, 2022, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
I ask because I see your builds as very sensible, nice work, what MPH is the 11.03 running? What trans do you run?
Take it somewhere else.
Old January 17th, 2022, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Take it somewhere else.
Why............you and others could learn a few things from this guy's builds. Heres what I see, the 505 peaks @ 5900 RPM, carries it nicely to 6200 RPM were its only down 7 HP @ 6200 RPM, all from a mild 500 inch hyd roller build, also take a good look at the oil pressure graph, no dropping oil pressure on this one! Like I said nice work!

Last edited by VORTECPRO; January 17th, 2022 at 07:49 PM.
Old January 18th, 2022, 04:40 AM

Why............you and others could learn a few things from this guy's builds. Heres what I see, the 505 peaks @ 5900 RPM, carries it nicely to 6200 RPM were its only down 7 HP @ 6200 RPM, all from a mild 500 inch hyd roller build, also take a good look at the oil pressure graph, no dropping oil pressure on this one! Like I said nice work!
Then talk about the power, not the time slip.
And FYI, the new blocks have a Chevy style oiling system. That’s the biggest difference.
Old January 18th, 2022, 05:10 AM

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...iller-casting/

Starting with better materials, the Rocket Racing Olds blocks are cast in two separate versions; the standard is a proprietary iron alloy, with a Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI) version for those looking to make ridiculous power numbers on a regular basis.

“With all the stuff we have incorporated into this block, I don’t see why we couldn’t push it to 3000-plus horsepower in the regular iron,” John says. “CGI is supposedly 75-percent stronger, given all the same thicknesses and design specs as a grey iron counterpart. If you do the math – 3000 horsepower and add 75-percent – that’s a lot of horsepower.”

The new king in Olds horsepower!
Old January 18th, 2022, 06:14 AM

Then talk about the power, not the time slip.
And FYI, the new blocks have a Chevy style oiling system. That’s the biggest difference.

You get a little "touchy" when people start talking about the by product of a good engine build, the time slip LOL. Theres no reason a production block Oldsmobile 455 build has to drop oil pressure at higher RPMs, mine DO NOT. I'm sure the new block is a very nice piece, although its draw back is the max bore of 4.400, buts theres nothing you can do other than change the bore spacing. I think a 4.390 bore with a 4.00 stroke would make a nice combination.
Old January 18th, 2022, 06:40 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

The time slip is more important in many ways than the Dyno to show off real world numbers. Disappointment happens at the rear wheels. Even chassis dynos are not the end all be all. The engine in the car moving the weight is the real world. I wouldn't worry about chopping up the slip and 60 ft. This and that unless you where gonna be serious about racing because for the average guy a good suspension for drag racing will bit be fun on the street so the compromises are what shows up in the time slip along with the hold back of the sled it's on . The most impressive part about his time slip isn't even the time. It's about how his car is probably deadly reliable and not batting an eye doing it.
Old January 18th, 2022, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
The time slip is more important in many ways than the Dyno to show off real world numbers. Disappointment happens at the rear wheels. Even chassis dynos are not the end all be all. The engine in the car moving the weight is the real world. I wouldn't worry about chopping up the slip and 60 ft. This and that unless you where gonna be serious about racing because for the average guy a good suspension for drag racing will bit be fun on the street so the compromises are what shows up in the time slip along with the hold back of the sled it's on . The most impressive part about his time slip isn't even the time. It's about how his car is probably deadly reliable and not batting an eye doing it.
Chassis dyno numbers mean nothing, they are for tuning purposes only. With my engine dyno the number spits out and I know to the tenth what my cars will run at the track.
Old January 18th, 2022, 07:43 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...iller-casting/

Starting with better materials, the Rocket Racing Olds blocks are cast in two separate versions; the standard is a proprietary iron alloy, with a Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI) version for those looking to make ridiculous power numbers on a regular basis.

“With all the stuff we have incorporated into this block, I don’t see why we couldn’t push it to 3000-plus horsepower in the regular iron,” John says. “CGI is supposedly 75-percent stronger, given all the same thicknesses and design specs as a grey iron counterpart. If you do the math – 3000 horsepower and add 75-percent – that’s a lot of horsepower.”

The new king in Olds horsepower!
That CGI option is very cool. Really if you are going all out Racing, why not? Of course it probably doubles the block price, they don't have the price listed.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; January 18th, 2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old January 18th, 2022, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
That CGI option is very cool. Really if you are going all out Racing, why not? Of course it probably doubles the block price, they don't have the price listed.
All out racers, need deep pockets to go with the CGI option. With large internals. Would a DX block with small internals. Beat at the BBO at the 60' line? Equal cars and launches.

What gets me is the WEIGHT: APPROX 250 LBS (DEPENDING ON BORE). It does not seen right?

Small block NASCAR block I have, came in as 300 pounds more or less. It does have some massive oil pan rails. Starting to think my trucking company over charged me for weight. Going to have bill weight it.

Mark! What does the bare RR block you have weight?

Old January 18th, 2022, 08:23 AM

All out racers, need deep pockets to go with the CGI option. With large internals. Would a DX block with small internals. Beat at the BBO at the 60' line? Equal cars and launches.

What gets me is the WEIGHT: APPROX 250 LBS (DEPENDING ON BORE). It does not seen right?

Small block NASCAR block I have, came in as 300 pounds more or less. It does have some massive oil pan rails. Starting to think my trucking company over charged me for weight. Going to have bill weight it.

I’d have to look at the bill of lading but the general consensus was around 250. Once I grab that I’ll let you know.
Old January 18th, 2022, 08:23 AM

FWIW I know where there is at least 20 of those DX blocks if anyones interested.
Old January 18th, 2022, 08:26 AM

You get a little "touchy" when people start talking about the by product of a good engine build, the time slip LOL. Theres no reason a production block Oldsmobile 455 build has to drop oil pressure at higher RPMs, mine DO NOT. I'm sure the new block is a very nice piece, although its draw back is the max bore of 4.400, buts theres nothing you can do other than change the bore spacing. I think a 4.390 bore with a 4.00 stroke would make a nice combination.
There’s probably nothing in this world I care less about than you and your builds, especially you. Once you actually bring something concrete to the Olds community, ie new parts etc., and quit comparing Olds to Chevys, then maybe I’ll respect you, a little.
Otherwise you’re no different than the rest.

Last edited by cutlassefi; January 18th, 2022 at 08:30 AM.
Old January 18th, 2022, 08:31 AM

FWIW I know where there is at least 20 of those DX blocks if anyones interested.
Then grab them, you’ll have a monopoly on them.
But if they haven’t been magged, I wouldn’t touch them with a ten foot pole. Just had 2 out of 3 that were cracked.
Old January 18th, 2022, 08:38 AM

Facebook, ebay, Craigslist. In many guys sheds and barns. . Not hard to find

In 1978 to 1985.
Old January 18th, 2022, 10:34 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Facebook, ebay, Craigslist. In many guys sheds and barns. . Not hard to find

In 1978 to 1985.
Your Nascar block is a different story. It will be interesting to see the weight between the Nascar and this new Rocket BBO block.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; January 18th, 2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old January 18th, 2022, 11:53 AM

Your Nascar block is a different story. It will be interesting to see the weight between the Nascar and this new Rocket BBO block.
Nascar block is a little overkill for a Oldsmobile hobbyist like me! But the Ford and Chevy guys are in for a big surprise! Mine will have 350 Bryant crank 3.385'' stroke and light weight internals. Going with the Batten heads. and intake.

Lighting Rods have always given me an edge. 2004r and 3.73 rear. Fast reflexes and intuition also help. This new engine will be take first gear to a new level. Shift into second gear at near 8,000 rpm. Will be a leaning experience!

Take with a gain of salt! Engine Masters season 6 Ep 92. Screaming 8K RPM!! Engine keep's pulling and gaining HP up to 8,000 rpm.

Old January 18th, 2022, 02:20 PM

The CGI is $1000 more than the standard version.
Old January 18th, 2022, 02:24 PM

I will let you know soon. I have an RR block here that I'm using for my own build. I also have a customer's 425 block here that I'm currently fitting a girdle on and is getting filled to the water pump holes. I don't think there will be much difference in weight. The girdle and filler add quite a bit.
Old January 18th, 2022, 02:32 PM

Seems the original configuration of this block was big cubes low RPM relatively speaking.
I know of a 560 that made power to 7500 rpm. I wouldn't call that low rpm. My 529 will go 7500 as well.

Last edited by chadman; January 18th, 2022 at 02:39 PM.
Old January 18th, 2022, 04:23 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by chadman
The CGI is $1000 more than the standard version.
Not bad, a drop in the bucket for one of these. Do you know anyone who has opted for it?
Old January 18th, 2022, 04:27 PM

Not bad, a drop in the bucket for one of these. Do you know anyone who has opted for it?
The only CGI one I'm aware of is in John Stolpa's car.
Old January 18th, 2022, 05:50 PM

RPM is subjective. I spin my 355 to 7k with stock rods. What I meant by my statement is that even for the average guy you can probably make great power at lower RPM with plenty of grunt and not even tax the components. When I'm talking RPM I'm talking like Modified production style racing where they spun the engines to 9k + rpm. Which is where my thinking came from as far as comparing cubes VS RPM. Comparing atleast what's been done already in the olds world .

Then there was the episode of engine masters where they made killer power from a 331 Chevy stroker and it went 8k plus RPM. From a longevity stand point the small package to me seems more ideal. When you considers what they do in nascar with the small journal engines and RPM and they sustain such abuse . I know there is no replacement for displacement but the bigger engines just have more mass to knock stuff around. And I know it's nothing new big engines can live it's just a different animal. For me I just like small engines.

Last edited by coppercutlass; January 18th, 2022 at 05:55 PM.
Old January 18th, 2022, 06:09 PM

Then grab them, you’ll have a monopoly on them.
But if they haven’t been magged, I wouldn’t touch them with a ten foot pole. Just had 2 out of 3 that were cracked.
These were complete virgin engines laying around a junk yard in Eastern Colorado, I asked him how much he wanted for them and he said 400.00 a piece, at that point I had no interest.
Old January 18th, 2022, 06:43 PM

Motorhead Garage Episode 2120 Segment 2 Rocket Racing and Performance

Old January 18th, 2022, 09:00 PM

Motorhead Garage Episode 2120 Segment 2 Rocket Racing and Performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_8WBSZMsnY
Thanks for sharing this.
Old January 19th, 2022, 04:19 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Thanks for sharing this.
Very informative video and shows Rocket Racing block, a better look than most of us will get.
Old January 19th, 2022, 05:44 AM

Very informative video and shows Rocket Racing block, a better look than most of us will get.
I am sure this Rocket block is far better of a foundation than I will ever have to start with. My question would be does anyone have info on how fast someone has gone in the 1/4 with a rocket racing engine.? Is there a low 8 mid 7 second 1/4 mile. Fillerbrown put on a show at Wichita in 2019 He took the top rocket with a 482 BBO using a 455 factory block. I think he went 9.03 and he was racing rocket block cars . He is using a Diesel block now.
Old January 19th, 2022, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
I am sure this Rocket block is far better of a foundation than I will ever have to start with. My question would be does anyone have info on how fast someone has gone in the 1/4 with a rocket racing engine.? Is there a low 8 mid 7 second 1/4 mile. Fillerbrown put on a show at Wichita in 2019 He took the top rocket with a 482 BBO using a 455 factory block. I think he went 9.03 and he was racing rocket block cars . He is using a Diesel block now.
At what weight did he go 9.03, I haven't seen him in a full weight small tire car for a lot of years. Keep in mind it only takes 600 HP to run 9.00 @ 2500 pounds.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; January 19th, 2022 at 06:01 AM.
Old January 19th, 2022, 05:58 AM

There is a local ish car I believe with a rocket block that's been mid 8's cylinder heads are the hold up.
Old January 19th, 2022, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by chadman
I know of a 560 that made power to 7500 rpm. I wouldn't call that low rpm. My 529 will go 7500 as well.

Is that with a symmetrical port head? I had these guys come into my shop with what they called a Buick for a dyno test, it made over 1100 HP and the guy said "what do you think about that Buick", he knew I raced a Buick stocker, I said laughing, I don't see one Buick part on it.................
Old January 19th, 2022, 06:07 AM

Is that with a symmetrical port head? I had these guys come into my shop with what they called a Buick for a dyno test, it made over 1100 HP and the guy said "what do you think about that Buick", he knew I raced a Buick stocker, I said laughing, I don't see one Buick part on it.................
Who Cares!!!
Old January 19th, 2022, 08:06 AM

There is a local ish car I believe with a rocket block that's been mid 8's cylinder heads are the hold up.
Who?
Old January 19th, 2022, 08:08 AM

At what weight did he go 9.03, I haven't seen him in a full weight small tire car for a lot of years. Keep in mind it only takes 600 HP to run 9.00 @ 2500 pounds.
The point is he out ran the other cars. What does it matter what weight . Faster is faster. Duh

Last edited by wr1970; January 19th, 2022 at 08:10 AM.
Old January 19th, 2022, 08:11 AM

Who Cares!!!
Yeah 👍
Old January 19th, 2022, 08:13 AM

Go sit down you are the guy without a 9 second Oldsmobile.
Old January 19th, 2022, 09:24 AM

What's wrong with you guy's ?
This site is going to ****... !
Old January 19th, 2022, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by rickw30
What's wrong with you guy's ?
This site is going to ****... !
Not really a Chevy guy telling us what doesn't impress him! This is a Rocket Racing Block thread . Not a Chevy thread. Vortec is always talking about other people's stuff. He can't represent a rocket block or a racing Oldsmobile factory engine and Oldsmobile car of his own that he races.

Last edited by wr1970; January 19th, 2022 at 09:33 AM.
Old January 19th, 2022, 09:38 AM

.....back to Rocket Racing blocks
Old January 19th, 2022, 09:41 AM

Wr1970 I won't tell who it is because the cult my randomly text me in the middle of night because I mentioned a conflict of interest. But I will say it was posted publicly making those runs.

Quick Reply: Rocket Build