Race Car takes a left at end of Track...Owww

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2012, 07:15 PM

Race Car takes a left at end of Track...Owww

Sorry in advance for the long read. I was racing the Thanksgiving Big Money Bash at San Antonio raceway yesterday in my 9-sec. car. At the end of my only qualifying pass the car took a left as I tapped the Brakes for shut-down. I was in Left lane so the car snugged herself up against the concrete and scraped off the Driver's Fender and next the Hood, then decided that was not enough fun so darted across the track and hit full head-on at the Right Lane wall. I rode the mother out and reached up and clicked off the car..opened my door and EMS was there. Bruised Shoulders where I pulled against my Harness, and cut chin from Helmet strap...otherwise just sore.

The pass was a 9.92 at 132 MPH as I got my ET slip. So I hit at 130 or so the first time!! Roll Cage was NHRA cert t 8.50 and got plenty bent up, but did it's job. Bogart Wheels held up fine with only one slight dent in Pass Front. Car is probably a Total loss...hurts because this was the fomer Dave Engel car and was immaculate...even the Elec Windows still functioned.

Car is sitting in my Shop now on Trailer...I'll look at it after New Years ( per Wife's suggestion )

Guys...put a Cage in anything you race and use your safety equipment...I walked away from a 132mph Crash.

Danny
Old November 25th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Im sorry to hear that but im glad you are ok. We can replace parts and cars but we cant be replaced. This is one of my biggest fears. I have a 4 point roll bar in my car it's nothing fast low 13 sec car possibly 12's but if it's ever on it's lid i feel better about my odds. Im sorry to hear about the car hopefully it can be fixed.
Old November 25th, 2012, 07:27 PM

Danny, I think it is really unfortunate that Red Bull is no more...but I am so happy to have heard it from your voice what happened. I could've heard it a myriad of other ways. I think you have convinced me, I will put some sort of roll bar in Wild Bill. From what you told me on the phone today, I believe fully that if not for all the safety equipment you had and were using you would not be here. I am so glad you made it through that!

If you need anything please don't hesitate to call, I'll do anything you need. You are one of my biggest mentors whether you like it or not Take it easy for a while and let your bruises heal.

Steve
Old November 25th, 2012, 07:32 PM

Thanks Bro. Peace!
Old November 25th, 2012, 08:24 PM

Sorry to hear Danny - Hope the car can be rebuilt or parted to help other cars.
Glad that you are okay - amazing for that rate of speed. This is what all that safety stuff is for in racing - glad it did its job well.
Old November 25th, 2012, 08:45 PM
car guy

Glad to here you are OK. Any idea at this point what caused the car to go left. Was it only the brakes that started the turn or already drifting? I know of several guys with street cars in the high 5's running 120mph plus 1/8mile without so much as a roll bar. It hasn't yet but I fear one day something like this will happen and thats it for them.
Old November 26th, 2012, 04:09 AM

Sorry to hear this but glad you are around to tell about it. Glad your safety equipment worked! Just goes to show just how quick things can happen. Glad to hear only minor injuries.
Old November 26th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Danny! The car can be replaced, occupants however cannot. Let us know what you find as a cause, and what direction you take next.
Old November 26th, 2012, 07:26 AM

So every person that drag races this is what you prepare for every time you go down the track ,it's why you build the car with roll cages ,safety nets ,helmut ,proper seat belts etc.The fact the Danny is still around to tell us about his unfortunate accident shows that having a safe car was his number 1 priority .Everybody who goes down the track at any speed this could happen to them very easily @ 60mph or 132 mph ,are you prepared ?
Danny glad your still with us .
Old November 26th, 2012, 08:08 AM
MOTORHEAD

Sorry you had the bad day at the track! It was good to read that you were not injured badly.
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:53 PM

Danny, can you tell us/me what you find to be the cause? I'm curious. Just seems like there have been an increasing number of accidents the last couple of years for some reason. I pitted next to Dave and Patty at Byron a few years back and that car looked like "perfection" as was Dave's style. Good luck to you!
Old November 26th, 2012, 04:59 PM

a friend of mine had something similar happen years ago. the car was a low 8 sec car and a little over half track an oil line broke and oiled down one rear. the car went across the track into the wall, back across into the other wall and rolled several times. car was destroyed but he walked away because like you he made sure safety was a priority rather than an after thought. I see so many guys build a car and then skimp on the cage or brakes any of the other saftey gear only to find out latter it should be the first purchase. glad to hear you are in one piece. let us know what you decide to do.
Old November 26th, 2012, 06:22 PM

Danny,

Sorry to hear about the car, but they can be replaced. Take care, and take it easy.
Old November 26th, 2012, 07:05 PM
jfb

hey buddy I am glad you are ok the equipment did its job and you handled it like a pro also. I know you will not let this stop you and after the first of the year get back on that horse and ride again! I have had my scrapes also but it never has slowed me down. peace and get well and faster.
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:48 PM

Sorry to hear about the car but the important thing is that you are OK
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Hey fellas, Danny ask me to post up a couple of pictures of the car. After talking with him and surveying the damage I think we are all lucky to have him here.

Old December 15th, 2012, 04:04 PM

ouch, that was a hell of a hit. on a good note the car does not look bad after the firewall and the engine does not look like it moved much which means the roll cage did its job well. I would hate to see what it would have looked like with out the full cage like he has.
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:28 PM

That sucks, looks like it was a hard hit. I'm glad that you were not hurt bad. I Hope you can fix it, good luck.

Last edited by Bernhard; December 15th, 2012 at 04:35 PM.