Mondello Inertia Fleplates

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2012, 06:33 PM
11.52 @116

Mondello Inertia Fleplates

My question is if anyone besides me is running one, and if you feel they help like they were advertised?
I'm trying to save some weight and free up some horsepower this winter and wonder if I would gain anything by ditching this heavy inertia wheel and replaceing it with a nice stamped steel better than stock replacement?

John from Rocket Racing told me a few years ago I'd be better off but I'm still using it since I remember paying $400 for the thing 10 years ago.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Banned

You may as well buy a SFI approved flexplate from ATI and sell that Mondello exclusive on ebay.
Old November 8th, 2012, 04:06 AM
11.52 @116

Originally Posted by SBORule
You may as well buy a SFI approved flexplate from ATI and sell that Mondello exclusive on ebay.
Thats what I/ve been thinking. Thanks man.
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by jims2000lt
My question is if anyone besides me is running one, and if you feel they help like they were advertised?
I'm trying to save some weight and free up some horsepower this winter and wonder if I would gain anything by ditching this heavy inertia wheel and replaceing it with a nice stamped steel better than stock replacement?

John from Rocket Racing told me a few years ago I'd be better off but I'm still using it since I remember paying $400 for the thing 10 years ago.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Anytime you take rotational weight out of an automatic car, the car goes faster at the dragstrip.
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:07 AM

Agreed on an SFI flexplate. A heavy flywheel or flexplate will help the engine retain whatever rpm it is at, but hinder acceleration to higher rpm. It is inertial resistance. For acceleration you want small diameter, light weight parts.
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:32 AM

I have had the same exact problem in the past after I payed out 300+ dollars and all I noticed was increased bottom end which I did not need. Bought an ATI and picked up alot of top end and got a much better hole shot. Sell it on Ebay or 442.com.
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:42 AM

I have a Mondello plate in my car. I was contemplating getting a lighter ATI flexplate until a guy I know (a well known Olds guru) told me he had already done a back to back test between the two at the strip years ago. He said he saw zero improvement with one over the other.
Old November 8th, 2012, 12:27 PM
jfb

hey buddie i have one from around 2009 sfi and properly balanced for the engine from mondello that came with it, I would guess and just that guess that maybe yours was balanced matched etc to your engine possibly? I would not mess with something that can cause problems and i do not see the big problem with mondello parts on this site. I personally have never had problems with them or their parts. I think that maybe other people want to try and toss bs around and maybe unload other parts or their friends just read it a little through. Mondello has the experience and everything i have bought from them and somewhat reasonably in price has worked flawlessly! Just think about that.
Old November 8th, 2012, 12:41 PM

Not knocking Mondello parts or advice, I just was commenting on one experience in 40 years of racing oldsmobiles, Joe was one of the best Oldsmobile men ever and he never led me astray, I still have many many Mondello parts and I am going to use them including my billet flywheel I bought from him 12 years ago. I dont know the reason it made more bottom end torque but it did and at that time if I had put the money into my suspension it would have run faster. But I changed it out and didnt really drop any time a tenth maybe but my top end spd increased. Mondello still makes great parts and has good service.
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:22 PM
11.52 @116

I would like to drop a tenth and have my topend speed increase. Every little bit helps at the stage I'm at with my car right now.

I want to go faster without changeing the rear gear or starting a new engine build.

Plans for this winter are to install sfi flexplate, moroso trick front springs, hvh carb spacer, rebuild lift bars, and remove about
40 lbs out of the car.

Next build would be better h-beam rods, light pistons, more compression, roller cam, victor intake, and 3.90 rear gear. We'll see waht happens.
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:37 PM

jims2000lt I have a 69 442w30 the same color as yours and 14 years ago I ran it at Desoto Drag strip with 10.5 Street slicks and I have stock exhaust manifolds, "ported" heads and roller rockers, guide plates, Big Lunati custom cam, 2.5 inch exhaust with H pipe and flowmasters a 4.33 gear and m21 4spd and what looks like a stock cast iron intake but its the old O4b Edelbrock hogged out to match the heads and an 850 rochester and MSD ingnition, Best time I have ever run was 11.67 at 122 mph. Motor looks stock with the ram air and painted intake. I ground the edelbrock logo off and it looks bone stock. Beat many Hemi's and Chevy's in my class. Buicks are the hardest to beat. They run with a tricked out 455 Buick. If your putting the moroso tricks on look into competition engineerings race shocks only 45.00 ea and they work great!
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:11 PM
11.52 @116

Originally Posted by 442rocketdave
jims2000lt I have a 69 442w30 the same color as yours and 14 years ago I ran it at Desoto Drag strip with 10.5 Street slicks and I have stock exhaust manifolds, "ported" heads and roller rockers, guide plates, Big Lunati custom cam, 2.5 inch exhaust with H pipe and flowmasters a 4.33 gear and m21 4spd and what looks like a stock cast iron intake but its the old O4b Edelbrock hogged out to match the heads and an 850 rochester and MSD ingnition, Best time I have ever run was 11.67 at 122 mph. Motor looks stock with the ram air and painted intake. I ground the edelbrock logo off and it looks bone stock. Beat many Hemi's and Chevy's in my class. Buicks are the hardest to beat. They run with a tricked out 455 Buick. If your putting the moroso tricks on look into competition engineerings race shocks only 45.00 ea and they work great!
Wow! Your car sounds very cool.
Allready have the comp shocks on all 4 corners, and moroso rear springs.
Theres a youtube vid of my dar titled -Jims olds 442 @ 41 raceway-
and afetr viewing it I noticed my frontend doesnt work as well as it should. Springs are 17 old moog big block with AC springs with about 1.5 coils cut and 1 unch spacers added this spring. Check out the vid and tell me what you think.
Have any pics of your 442?
Also, thanks for the input.
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:15 PM

My car was featured in Muscle car magazine back in 1992 it was the first full two page centerfold car they ever did but It was with my friends Randy's 1969 DZ Z28 that I restored. I have to fish out a couple of photos of my car when it won every show I entered it in and now its a piece of junk. I just disassembled it and I am working on the motor full time. Hopefully I will have it running in a few months. The transmission is totally rebuilt and I am trying to get the parts I need to get the car done. Its more the money than the time. Hopefully I can get the parts I need without bleeding. I cant believe how much stuff cost now. Been out of it for many years.
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:22 PM

Your car is cool and is running and looks good too. Just remember they DONT MAKE THEM ANYMORE! Never again will there be these great cars. I remember a viper coming up beside me once and he tried to pull me but left him in the dust. He pulled me over at a gas station and freaked out that I had no Nitrous or supercharger or turbocharger just a stock Hehe Motor. He had been to the track and turned a 12.59, I just came back with a 11.72 at 121mph. They really are beautiful cars. I just got off the phone with a guy parting out 3 cars. I must of parted out 2 dozen in my life and I regret it very much.
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:45 PM
jfb

amen lets all get to the point with no drama and go faster and no bickering too! But we all have classy cars with goo looks also! do it with class guys!
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

What about an x pipe . John from rocket racing runs one on his 65. I ran one in my little 350 and gained almost 2 tenths thats just my experience. I dont know what gains john saw but i know he is running one for a reason.
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:11 PM
11.52 @116

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
What about an x pipe . John from rocket racing runs one on his 65. I ran one in my little 350 and gained almost 2 tenths thats just my experience. I dont know what gains john saw but i know he is running one for a reason.
Nox-pipe now but thats a good idea. Wouldnt cost too much to purchase or install. I've heard that they help. I'll look into it, thanks alot.
Right now I have 2inch hooker super comp headers, torque tech 3inch mandrel bent pipes, & jegs 2 chamber welded mufflers with turndowns before the axle.
Probably pretty easy to add an x-pipe.
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

It takes some work to get them installed i wont lie ., but running an open x pipe helps. i would run cut outs after the x junction.
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:27 PM

I would like to drop a tenth and have my topend speed increase. Every little bit helps at the stage I'm at with my car right now.

I want to go faster without changeing the rear gear or starting a new engine build.

Plans for this winter are to install sfi flexplate, moroso trick front springs, hvh carb spacer, rebuild lift bars, and remove about
40 lbs out of the car.

Next build would be better h-beam rods, light pistons, more compression, roller cam, victor intake, and 3.90 rear gear. We'll see waht happens.
You need to make a converter change, theres more than a tenth there easy. And if your not running a radial tire, you should be. Same with a anti roll, if you dont have it, you need it.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; November 8th, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:36 PM
11.52 @116

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
You need to make a converter change, theres more than a tenth there easy. And if your not running a radial tire, you should be. Same with a anti roll, if you dont have it, you need it.
Thansk for the advise.
Running M/T ET Street Radials-275-60-15 at 16lbs.
I've thought about an antiroll bar from HR Parts N Stuff
Also looked into Air Lift air bags.

Do you have a converter recomendation?
Old November 9th, 2012, 04:06 AM

If I were you I'd talk to Milan. You saw his black 69 run some excellent ETs @ 41. His advice on Olds is second to none.
Old November 9th, 2012, 05:21 AM

Thansk for the advise.
Running M/T ET Street Radials-275-60-15 at 16lbs.
I've thought about an antiroll bar from HR Parts N Stuff
Also looked into Air Lift air bags.

Do you have a converter recomendation?
The HR anti roll works good, you dont need air bags with the anti roll, your tires are great, but I would try more air pressure. A converter will make a big difference, and I do have ideas. 380s advice is also good, Milan runs the same car, I believe its the fastest Olds of it type, his advice would be very helpful. Just remember, a hard leavin 116 MPH car can go 11.20s, max your rolling car out before you even touch the engine.
Old November 9th, 2012, 08:25 AM
11.52 @116

Very cool. Thanks for the advise guys. I'll pm Milan for some 69 Olds input.