1972 cutlass ram air hood

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2015, 09:17 AM

1972 cutlass ram air hood

Hi there
I'm looking for 1972 cutlass ram air hood bolt on. So please let me know if u have one or you can help me to get it one.

Thanks
Old March 1st, 2015, 10:10 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Bolt Ons are relatively inexpensive. Google is your friend - just use keywords " oldsmobile w25 bolt on hood". Lots of vendors, pick the one closest to you. Glasstek is a popular vendor, so is VFN.
Old March 1st, 2015, 04:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Problem is that some vendors DO label their bolt on hoods as 'Ram Air' even though it's not technically correct. So you might have to give those vendors heck too.

Hakeem - welcome to the site, should have said that the first time. Try clicking on these links. They should take you to vendors you might be interested in dealing with.

EDIT: There are 2 different types of hoods and I mistakenly posted links for the 'pin on' ones as I misinterpreted your initial request. The following ones are for the 'bolt on' hoods and they range in price and quality. Some are only fibreglass construction, one has reinforcement in some key areas, but the most expensive ones are from Thornton Industries and distributed now through various vendors. Cost and shipping is commensurate with the product and development costs. Consequently prices vary and there is no 'average cost' for these hoods. As noted by droldsmorland, there are other components needed to change the function of the air breather and hood hardware too. If you go with a fibreglass only hood, chances are you'll need lightweight hinges. If you elect to go with the steel lined (expensive) hoods the stock hinges will be just fine. All the underhood components are reproduced by Thornton industries BTW.

Links: (clik on blue font to go to the web page)
Parts Place now carries both the Thornton and all fibreglass 71/72 OAI hood. Use the keyword (ram air hood) in your search.
BP5094T (1971 - 1972 Cutlass/442) FIBERGLASS W-25 442 RAM AIR HOOD - BOLT ON (CORRECT LOOKING FIBERGLASS UPPER TOP PANEL, AIR BOX WITH FACTORY LOOK FIBERGLASS FRAME) $589

(1971 - 1972 Cutlass/442) W25 RAM AIR STEEL FRAMED HOOD KIT (FIBERGLASS HOOD WITH STEEL FRAME, SCREEN, HOOD PINS WITH SCUFF PLATES, PIN RETAINERS & UPPER MOUNTING BRACKET) MADE IN THE USA $2495.00

Fibre Concepts CHA-442 '71-'72 Olds/Cutlass/442 Stock Original Ram Air Hood with Air Chamber. Shmpt /Lbs/ Price - TRK-45 $849.00

VFN Fibreglass Performance - 71-72 442 Ram Air Bolt On Hood W/ Airbox. Price=595.00 Weight=38 Ship: Truck Freight.

Thornton - 2499.00

Glasstek - Cutlass 1971-1972 H6002 442 factory reproduction bolt on hood View Images (4) TR $690.00
There are likely more vendors but this will get you started.

Last edited by Allan R; March 2nd, 2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Whether you call it OAI or W25 is moot. We know what Hakeem is looking for. With some encouragement, maybe he'll post a few pics of his build. Hakeem, clik on this blue link and it will give you instructions on how to install pictures on this site.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 03:59 AM

"Average cost for a bolt on W25 look OAI hood is much cheaper than one that needs hinges."

Allan, the hoods that you referenced are all "pin on", not bolt on. Pin on hoods are retained with either Dzus fasteners or pins; hence the name. The bolt on hoods ARE the ones that attach to the factory hinges. I recently obtained two of the bolt on hoods for a couple of customers, one locally and one in Chicago. These are made by US Body Source, which I am a dealer for. The hoods take ~ six weeks from date of order and are drop shipped to the buyer.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 06:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Thank you for the clarification. I'll get some new links up later. This iPad isn't as user friendly as my desktop. Are the hoods you supply all fiberglass or metal sub frames? I'm not familiar with US Body Source.

I see that Fusick and Parts Place are now carrying orders for Troys W25 71/72 hood. 2495.00 + shipping + fitting/paint makes it a relatively pricy add on.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:35 AM

Allan, US Body Source has been in business down here in Florida for quite awhile. I purchased my first hood from them, for my '68 Cutlass, back in 1993. I was very impressed with the quality, especially for a flat, "pin on" hood. A friend liked it so I ordered him one and the owner of the company asked if I'd like to become a dealer. I was at the track (Moroso Motorsports Park) 2-3 times a week, so I sold a number of their products. The business has been sold and relocated; however, they use the same molds and processes.
Their OAI hoods are all fiberglass and have a provision on the bolt on models to seal to the stock air cleaner.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 08:59 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by Hakeem
Hi there
I'm looking for 1972 cutlass ram air hood bolt on. So please let me know if u have one or you can help me to get it one.

Thanks
Welcome Hakeem.
Be aware when you do locate some hoods there is subtle differences between model years particularly between 70 and 71-72. which you may or may not be aware of?
If you do find an original hood in good shape be prepared to pay up. Some of the reproductions are better than others. Ask here when you do settle on a vendor for that advice. Your lucky if you have deep pockets and do find an OEM.
Also be aware if your installing it on a car that didnt come with a W25, OAI (outside air induction) hood originally you will need the correct hood hinge springs and the twist lock brackets which mount to the core support.
Then to make it function (if that's a concern) you'll need the air cleaner. Good luck with that one too. Expensive but they are out there. Not sure if the base is being reproduced but the foam seal and the lid are. The foam comes in 2 sizes to accommodate both big & small block W25 equipped cars.
Post some pictures of your project. Were here to help.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Instead of hijacking this thread on the civility issue, please take this conversation here:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ing-issue.html

Welcome Hakeem. I will add that in my past experience of looking at these aftermarket hoods, you do sometimes get what you pay for in fit and finish. I've seen a lot of these hoods that are raised and/or warped beyond what adjustments allow for them to sit flat. Be careful and research extensively on the products available.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:41 AM

Welcome Hakeem. This is a great site to p/u info. As for the hood, x2 to what Eric (Oldcutlass) said. There is a wide range of quality. I purchased the Glastek hood from The Parts Place. It was a reasonable price but I ended up spending $ 1000.00 in bodywork on it to make it presentable. We would love to see some pics of your car!
Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Steve, don't scare him away with that, I'm not sure it's really a good representation of Glasstek, and it really should have been covered by warranty. There were flaws in your hood IIRC and you also elected to modify it to include metal bracing? Nice to see you're still about!
Old March 2nd, 2015, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Steve, don't scare him away with that, I'm not sure it's really a good representation of Glasstek, and it really should have been covered by warranty. There were flaws in your hood IIRC and you also elected to modify it to include metal bracing? Nice to see you're still about!
Not trying to scare him off Allan. Just want to give him some insite into what can happen. That wasn't me that modified the hood for steel bracing though. Your post gave him some good places to choose from. I looked at a Fiber Concepts hood at a show in Charlotte last year. It appeared to have a really good gel coat finish.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Cleaned up this thread, any future posts please stay on subject.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:08 PM
morgan

I dont appreciate my comments being deleted ...I am a 2 year old!!!