Wanted: 1957 Oldsmobile radiator

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2018, 04:26 PM
fiestyfiesta

Wanted: 1957 Oldsmobile radiator

Looking for a radiator for a 1957 oldsmobile.
Old June 28th, 2018, 09:44 AM

Radiator

Try fusick automotive or have yours recored
Old June 28th, 2018, 01:30 PM

Fusick hasn't stocked radiators in forever. Not even for the Cutlasses and 442s. Radiator hoses (here and there), yes, but not radiators. You can get radiator hoses, if you need them, at rockauto, and they'll likely be a lot cheaper.

Your only hope is to find a good used one, which will probably be difficult to find and expensive when you do, or to have yours recored, as griffey suggests. No matter how bad a shape it's in, it's worth taking it to a radiator shop and see what they can do. I had to do this for a much later model car, my '78 Toronado, as reproduction radiators are not made for it. They reused the tanks and had a new core custom made. Cost me over $600, but it was either than or no radiator, and it's kind of hard to drive a car without one.

Last edited by jaunty75; June 28th, 2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old September 24th, 2018, 02:13 PM

57 olds radiator

let me know if you still need one. Jeff 419-335-5839
Old September 25th, 2018, 05:53 AM

Carid shows listing for radiator for 57, made by Northern 281.03.
Old September 25th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Olds Collector

57 Radiator

May I suggest that you recore the original radiator to make sure it fits without drilling additional holes and retains the original look? Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
Old September 25th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I replaced the radiator on my 54 with an aluminum radiator for a 68 Dodge Coronet. After I installed the AC the car overheated and I had a very long learning curve on the cooling system. I had the original radiator recored into a 3 core and it didn't help at all. I tried 6 blade fans and electric fans. On a hot Texas day it would still warm up and I was unable to run the AC. My conclusion is that the fins were too close together on the recored radiator and it would not pass enough air. I measured and measured and finally concluded the Dodge radiator had the flanges on the side and was the correct width although not quite as tall. The outlet was on the lower drivers side while the inlet was slightly off center and required the use of a flex hose. I simply cut the lower hose a little shorter and had to use a spacer in the hose since the outlet was smaller on the Dodge radiator. I did use a 6 blade mechanical fan and used the electric pusher on the front with a sensor to turn it on at 180 degrees. On a hot day it may get up to 200 degrees in traffic with the AC on. I will not begin to tell you how much money I spent to get to the point. The cost for the radiator, electric and mechanical fans and the temp sensor was about $400. I did not have to drill or modify anything on the car other than two small holes I drilled to mount the temp sensor.
Old September 25th, 2018, 10:24 AM
Olds Collector

Hi ReOldsman: First of all, thank you for your service to the country. Your group of veterans were not respected as you should have been. Have you flushed the block a few times to make sure there is not some blockage? How about the water pump? I hear there are some higher volume pumps. Maybe the fins inside the pump are rusted if that pump has been there a while or the fins are not tight to the bearing and slip. I hope your are a member of OCA. They have several active chapters in Texas. Best Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
Old September 25th, 2018, 12:13 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Hi Trent:
Thanks. Old (and young) veterans never get tired of hearing "thank you". I appreciate it. The 57 is one of my favorite Oldsmobiles from the 50's. I probably like it more than the 54. I like the hockey stick moldings on them both. Believe me I tried everything. I have the AC water pump on it that has 8 blades on the impeller rather than the usual 6. I have also flushed the block. I did not paint my aluminum radiator. There are a couple other things under the hood that are not original like the AC and alternator so the radiator didn't matter too much. I do not belong to OCA but I do belong to NAOC (National Antique Olds Club of America). I am treasurer of the North Texas Oldsmobile Club (NTOC) which is a pretty active club. I have a shroud that I may add to my car in the future. It is one of those universal kind that attaches to the radiator and goes around the fan. Thanks for your interest and best of luck with your Olds.
Old September 26th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Olds Collector

57 Olds Radiator

Hi RedOldsMan: You are most welcome. The 57 is so full of style. I like the three piece rear window a lot. I like the 55 - 56 a bunch as well. That shroud may help some. Sounds like you have tried a lot of things. Nothing blocking the grill and air flow? OCA has a chapter just for the 57 and it seems to be doing well. Is NTOC a chapter of NAOC or a stand alone club? Best of luck to you. Trent in Los Angeles