403 Pistons NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2017, 02:52 PM

403 Pistons NEEDED

Sent my 403 in to the machine shop to have the cylinders cleaned up and they took to much off by mistake. Unfortunately I can't afford to buy new overbore slugs for it, so I'm really hoping I can find something out there left over from someone else's project or something.

Thanks for looking,

My email below for fastest response.

Chris

gunman_7@hotmail.com
Old December 15th, 2017, 04:35 PM

I see I posted that in the for sale section by mistake, sorry about that, thanks for moving it!

Chris
Old December 15th, 2017, 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=MinnesotaMuscle;1062159]Sent my 403 in to the machine shop to have the cylinders cleaned up and they took to much off by mistake. Unfortunately I can't afford to buy new overbore slugs for it, so I'm really hoping I can find something out there left over from someone else's project or something./QUOTE]

Do you care to mention where the shop is located ? Maybe it needed a bore job to clean it up to begin with. What size pistons are you looking for ?
RALPH
P.S. I'll try to send an email or PM on here.
Old December 16th, 2017, 07:23 AM

I will send this poster an email but when posting a "wanted or for sale" have your location is a big plus, jmo.
Old December 16th, 2017, 08:52 AM

Ralph, I sent you a PM.

The long time operator of the shop first measured the bore and felt confident the stock bore could be cleaned up. He turned it over to his apprentice to do the work when the mistake happened. The senior shop operator apologized and stated he felt the kid shouldn't have needed to remove as much as he did. We're still working it out. The kid ended up taking .15 off over stock bore, so I'm still able to utilize any overbore piston, just need to figure out how much to open it up again once I have pistons in hand.

I guess I don't see how my location has much to do with looking for an object that would be mailed. Besides, my name should be obvious enough for whatever reason someone felt they needed that info.

Last edited by MinnesotaMuscle; December 16th, 2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old December 16th, 2017, 09:08 AM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=MinnesotaMuscle;1062298]
The kid ended up taking .15 off over stock bore, so .

Are you sure he opened it up .15 and not .015? A hun-fifty is a big mistake. The long time owner should have overseen the first bore prior to allowing the apprentice to complete the other 7 IMO.
The shop owner should either supply new pistons or supply another used block JMO.
I hope it works out!
Eric
Old December 16th, 2017, 09:09 AM

403 Pistons

I have a NOS set of L2451 0.030" forged pistons. These were the ones made before they were sourced from India . If interested, email me: drolds1@bellsouth.net. Thanks, Bob.
Old December 16th, 2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by MinnesotaMuscle
Ralph, I sent you a PM.
Thanks

The long time operator of the shop first measured the bore and felt confident the stock bore could be cleaned up. He turned it over to his apprentice to do the work when the mistake happened. The senior shop operator apologized and stated he felt the kid shouldn't have needed to remove as much as he did. We're still working it out. The kid ended up taking .15 off over stock bore, so I'm still able to utilize any overbore piston, just need to figure out how much to open it up again once I have pistons in hand.
Chris, looks like someone has a set of pistons. I have been on here for only a few months and they seem like a great bunch of people and very helpful.

I guess I don't see how my location has much to do with looking for an object that would be mailed. Besides, my name should be obvious enough for whatever reason someone felt they needed that info.
Chris, location is one of those things that can determine if someone has to ship things or you can pick them up. I have driven to Chicago for a set of pistons, but I won't drive to Florida, know what I mean ?

What kind of body is the 403 going into ?
RALPH
Old December 16th, 2017, 11:30 AM

Ask them about knurling your pistons. This would not be my preference, but it may work.
Old December 17th, 2017, 07:09 AM

Not mine, but there is a set of .040 over on ROP.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/real...gs-t15294.html

Rick
Old December 17th, 2017, 07:45 AM

[QUOTE=76olds;1062303]
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMuscle
The kid ended up taking .15 off over stock bore, so .

Are you sure he opened it up .15 and not .015? A hun-fifty is a big mistake. The long time owner should have overseen the first bore prior to allowing the apprentice to complete the other 7 IMO.
The shop owner should either supply new pistons or supply another used block JMO.
I hope it works out!
Eric
Oops, your correct, meant to say .015, and he did all eight cylinders, so it's a full set of slugs I'm looking for.

Rocketman, I'll shoot you an email.

The block is a numbers matching for my "79 Trans Am I"ve had since I was 18yo, took to prom, got married in, brought kids home from hospital in, so It's of significant value to me. So I'd like to locate a .020 over piston first to remove as little material as I can as I'll have this vehicle for a whole lot of years to come. But if I have no luck, it'll be the .030 route.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old December 18th, 2017, 06:19 PM
MOTORHEAD

[QUOTE=MinnesotaMuscle;1062505]
Originally Posted by 76olds
Oops, your correct, meant to say .015, and he did all eight cylinders, so it's a full set of slugs I'm looking for.

Rocketman, I'll shoot you an email.

The block is a numbers matching for my "79 Trans Am I"ve had since I was 18yo, took to prom, got married in, brought kids home from hospital in, so It's of significant value to me. So I'd like to locate a .020 over piston first to remove as little material as I can as I'll have this vehicle for a whole lot of years to come. But if I have no luck, it'll be the .030 route.

Thanks for the help guys.

Address: 694 Payne Ave, St Paul, MN 55130

Phone: (651) 222-7374

Kelley racing
St Paul

maybe you can knurl and file fit some rings??
Old December 18th, 2017, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by 11971four4two

Address: 694 Payne Ave, St Paul, MN 55130

Phone: (651) 222-7374

Kelley racing
St Paul

maybe you can knurl and file fit some rings??

Thanks, I made a note of them also.
Old December 19th, 2017, 03:04 PM

I talked to Kelley, super nice guy. He said no one knurls anymore, and he has long tossed out the tools to do it. Also that maybe 4-5 thou was the biggest overbore you could do it too, mine being 15 thou was way to much, he said only way was to bore it and get new slugs for it. Was interesting learning about it though, I didn't know such thing existed.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN269V
I have a NOS set of L2451 0.030" forged pistons. These were the ones made before they were sourced from India . If interested, email me: drolds1@bellsouth.net. Thanks, Bob.
Hi Bob, I realize this is an older post but is there any remote chance you still have those pistons available??

Have a 403" pending!

(Add) You can e-mail me at Theengineshop@aol.com

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Trying to avoid using any of the "cast" pieces out there!
Old January 22nd, 2019, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by GOSFAST
Hi Bob, I realize this is an older post but is there any remote chance you still have those pistons available??

Have a 403" pending!

(Add) You can e-mail me at Theengineshop@aol.com

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Trying to avoid using any of the "cast" pieces out there!
Email sent. Thanks, Bob.