WTB: Pair of #6 or #7 heads with valves, in good condition, in the NE US

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:15 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

WTB: Pair of #6 or #7 heads with valves, in good condition, in the NE US

The #8 heads that came with my "mystery motor" are officially junk, with big, wobbly valve guides. The third-hand rumor from two owners ago had been that "head work" had been done to it, but aside from removing and reinstalling the heads for no apparent reason (valves and combustion chambers still dirty and carbonized), the guy didn't do anything to it (complete waste of a set of gaskets for whoever took it apart). I've eliminated any ideas I may have had about decking them down to 60cc and using them if they'd had a recent valve job, and that leaves getting "proper" heads as the only sensible option.

I'm trying to put this motor together as the equivalent of a 1968-'70 high-compression motor - nothing fancy, not a "rebuild," no racing stuff, and need a pair of #6 or #7 heads. I'd rather get something that I can use as-is, and not something where I've got to replace the guides. I can grind valves and seats if need be.

I have no interest in doubling the cost through shipping, so I'm really only interested in something I can pick up somewhere between Maine and Eastern Pennsylvania. If worse comes to worst, I may be able to find something in a local junkyard, but they'd be a bear to get out, and I'd like to avoid that if I can.

Thanks!

- Eric