Wtb 72 cutlass supreme 442 hood

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2020, 05:47 PM
Tubbed out 1972 Cutlass S

Wtb 72 cutlass supreme w30 ram air hood

Hello to all.
Im in search of a new hood for my 72 cutlass supreme. Looking for a 442 style hood. Hoping to get one in fiberglass if possible since its lighter. Hoping someone knows someone that knows someone that may have one. I live in southern ontario and will pay in canadian currency, would consider american currency if the price was right. Do not want a chinese knock off, no offence to anyone here or outside of here, have had problems with those type of parts lining up. Send me Pm if youve got the goods.
Thanks for lookin
Cheers. JESSE
Edit**** Im in search of a w30 ram air hood for my 1972 cutlass supreme. With covid and boarders closed may be dufficult to get from accross the ditch. If I can stay in Ontario/Canada it would greatly help. Please send me a message if you or you know someone that would part ways with that hood. Thanks

Last edited by Elite Carpentry; February 19th, 2021 at 02:02 PM. Reason: To clarify what Im exactly after.
Old August 19th, 2020, 05:54 PM

Hi Jesse
Have you considered a Thornton hood? Could be an option.
Alain
Old August 19th, 2020, 06:06 PM

Hello Alain.
I have not considered it , never mind herd of it. Hahhaha. Do you have pics or how to search it up. Just did a quick search, annnnnnnd, well, i dont think im getting the results i was looking for.
thanka for the speedy reply
jesse
Old August 19th, 2020, 06:32 PM
72 Olds CS

theres a range of availible OAI hoods form $800 to $3000+

the Thornton is 3k and made similar to an orignal w a steel frame., there are less expensive ones that are all fiberglass
Old August 19th, 2020, 10:32 PM

For the Outside Air Induction hood (which was an independent option and did not come with a 442 as part of its stuff, although it was part of the W-30, W-31, Rallye 350, and H/O cars; it was W-25 by itself and the air cleaner setup) a good repro runs 3k+ like said, but the cheaper ones will indeed be cheaper up front but will need much body work to fit right. So, pay the parts guy, or pay the body man.

There's nothing wrong with a steel normal hood.
Old August 20th, 2020, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
For the Outside Air Induction hood (which was an independent option and did not come with a 442 as part of its stuff, although it was part of the W-30, W-31, Rallye 350, and H/O cars; it was W-25 by itself and the air cleaner setup) a good repro runs 3k+ like said, but the cheaper ones will indeed be cheaper up front but will need much body work to fit right. So, pay the parts guy, or pay the body man.

There's nothing wrong with a steel normal hood.
^^^x2
Old August 20th, 2020, 03:06 AM

Hi Jesse
Try www.thorntommusclecars.com you should see a good example of their product.
Alain
Old August 20th, 2020, 05:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Just so we're all clear, THIS is the hood that 442s came with in 1972...

Old August 20th, 2020, 07:55 AM

Try the Olds parts guy on the eastern side of downtown Binbrook, 905 512 1602. Then there is Rob in Stoney Creek 905 643 4512.

Last edited by Yellowstatue; August 20th, 2020 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Forgot someone.
Old August 20th, 2020, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

^^^^^^
Yep, used on 442's and Cutlass S models........I have one of that style in my Olds body parts collection
Old August 20th, 2020, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Try the Olds parts guy on the eastern side of downtown Binbrook, 905 512 1602. Then there is Rob in Stoney Creek 905 643 4512.
Thanks alot man. All give these guys a call. Pretty much all close to home which is so sweet.
Old August 20th, 2020, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket Launcher
^^^^^^
Yep, used on 442's and Cutlass S models........I have one of that style in my Olds body parts collection
Feel like selling it? Hahahaa. Pm me if u do with details. Thank you.

That hood will slip right into place.
Id consider a metal hood aswell, just thought it would be lighter for the car if I went fiberglass. I AM NOT knocking metal for fiberglass. Just didnt consider all the other options and details for each.
Cheers for Now
Jesse
Old August 21st, 2020, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Elite Carpentry
Im in search of a new hood for my 72 cutlass supreme.
You determined it is a 72? Your pictures show it with a 70 rear bumper.

Last edited by Fun71; August 21st, 2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old August 21st, 2020, 11:10 AM

Not original bumper. Its a 72 with 70 rear bumper. Only bumper he could get at the time.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 12:31 AM

Hoods n hoods

Recent oem oai hood in denver $3500

I have a few steel 71-2 supreme (fake potmetal chromed louvers ) hoods in Lansing Michigan

​​​​
Old August 22nd, 2020, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by rocketscientis

I have a few steel 71-2 supreme (fake potmetal chromed louvers ) hoods in Lansing Michigan

​​​​
Any pics? Is it a 442 OEM?
Old August 22nd, 2020, 02:19 AM

​​​​
Old August 22nd, 2020, 07:07 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Just an FYI, and I'm sure you must have researched this, the 442 option package in 1972 was never offered on the Cutlass Supreme Hardtop. A standard louvered or non louvered hood was put on the car at the factory as determined by the build options. Also, no 1972 Olds A body cars ever came from the factory with a deck lid spoiler and the CS models would never have them either. The angle of the pedestal on the deck lid is completely wrong as these were designed for the fastback cars.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 07:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

To further this conversation and be really clear, the hood on that car is part of the W29 ordering package (some deletions and additions) that made the car a 442. Note specifically that the hood has the Oldsmobile script on the drivers side of the hood just above the headlights. There were two (2) of these steel hoods used in 1972 for 442 W29 models. The first one had rear louvers and was used for non AC cars. The second one had no rear louvers and was used on AC cars.

^^^^^^
Not so fast. The 442 metal hoods were used on ALL Cutlass models that qualified for the W29 package. That includes Cutlass, Cutlass S and Cutlass Supreme convertible. I think you're mistaking the louvered hoods for the 442 hoods. Louvered hoods were available on all Cutlass Coupes. Further, the louvered hoods had the louvers color matched to the body color, as seen in this 1972 promo picture from Oldsmobile.

Old August 22nd, 2020, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
To further this conversation and be really clear, the hood on that car is part of the W29 ordering package (some deletions and additions) that made the car a 442. Note specifically that the hood has the Oldsmobile script on the drivers side of the hood just above the headlights. There were two (2) of these steel hoods used in 1972 for 442 W29 models. The first one had rear louvers and was used for non AC cars. The second one had no rear louvers and was used on AC cars.

Not so fast. The 442 metal hoods were used on ALL Cutlass models that qualified for the W29 package. That includes Cutlass, Cutlass S and Cutlass Supreme convertible. I think you're mistaking the louvered hoods for the 442 hoods. Louvered hoods were available on all Cutlass Coupes. Further, the louvered hoods had the louvers color matched to the body color, as seen in this 1972 promo picture from Oldsmobile.
I have never seen a standard / base Cutlass or Cutlass Supreme in 1971 or 1972 come from the factory with the louvered hood ( i.e., white metal cast type with matching body paint as pictured above). Only the 442 or Cutlass "S" were available with them, and my 71 Oldsmobile Dealer Product Selling Catalog backs that up.
Old August 24th, 2020, 10:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I have never seen a standard / base Cutlass or Cutlass Supreme in 1971 or 1972 come from the factory with the louvered hood ( i.e., white metal cast type with matching body paint as pictured above). Only the 442 or Cutlass "S" were available with them, and my 71 Oldsmobile Dealer Product Selling Catalog backs that up.
I was referring specifically to the 1972 model. Everyone who knows Olds knows that in 1971 442 was it's own model. In 1972 the 442 became an appearance and handling package. That's why the 1972 Cutlass, Cutlass S and even Cutlass Supreme could have that louvered hood if ordered with the W29 package. That hood is a feature of the W29 option as seen from this excerpt from the 72 SPECS. And in 1972 yes the Cutlass and Cutlass S came with the louvers as well because I was around back then and car shopping at Olds dealers was a habit I acquired at an early age.

Old August 24th, 2020, 10:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
And in 1972 yes the Cutlass and Cutlass S came with the louvers as well because I was around back then and car shopping at Olds dealers was a habit I acquired at an early age.
Allen is correct. The hood with chrome louvers was optionally available on the 1972 Cutlass Hardtop Coupe under RPO Y75 Exterior Sport Equipment. It was also included (with blacked out louvers) in W29 on the Cutlass Hardtop. The hood with chrome louvers was standard equipment on Cutlass S models, and again the louvers got blacked out with W29. The were not available on the Supreme (not even the convertible) unless you got W29, however.

Old August 24th, 2020, 02:37 PM

​​​​
Be sure to understand what we're all telling you. The Outside Air Induction Hood is *NOT* "OEM 442." It was a *separate* hood and air cleaner system (W-25) that could be ordered separately on Cutlass S and 442 vehicles, and it was included in some larger packages (W-30, W-31). Apparently Joe's linked SPECS sheet says you could get it on Supreme Hardtop, if I read correctly

Also, like Joe said above, the actual "OEM 442 hood" was the louvered hood, available on many vehicles, with the louvers painted black.

So, there actually isn't an "OEM 442 hood" because it's a normal Cutlass S hood, with black paint.
Old August 24th, 2020, 02:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Apparently Joe's linked SPECS sheet says you could get it on Supreme Hardtop, if I read correctly
Unfortunately, you do not...

Go back and read it again, especially where it says "convertible" (as in, only available on) just before the price.
Old August 24th, 2020, 03:32 PM

Well, I didnt mean to start a war. My Gosh Guys.
Thats not what Im here for. Ive seen previous threads going the same direction about the same similar question a few years back.
Maybe I worded it wrong, maybe I herd the wrong hood number, heck, maybe I just wrote what I thought was correct, but regardless I want a hood.
I have the same package as Joe (I assume its the same) The 1972 Product Selling Information, Oldsmobile, Always a Step Ahead.
Here are the "optional hoods" (for lack of word and so no one gets bent out of shape or I interperate it wrong, ect...) for a 1972 Hartop Coupe, Model 4257 (which is a former model number) J57. (Who knows if I'm even right on that)

Now Boys and Girls can we stop fighting and just get down to the bottom of this. Or do I have to suggest the thread be removed ( if it even can or wont upset anyone or I dont get kicked off a site I just started being a part of to MAKE MY FATHER-N-LAW SEE HIS CAR RUN) or am I to be left to fend for myself.
I came here looking for advice, from people who know Oldsmobiles, not grown *** men and/ or women bickering over a GREENHORN'S mistake. Can we just drop it and mobe on?
I get people have different opinions and we are all not the same and people react differently then one another and we all need to prove a point at some point in time. With that being said:

SOOOOOOO........does anyone have a W25 hood, or W29 (442 "appearence") or W30 (If I said that correctly, not to offend anyone or get anyone rialed up) For Sale.

Personaly, I like the W25 style the best

Old August 24th, 2020, 03:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Look, first of all, every single 1970-72 Cutlass has a repro O.A.I. hood today. If you want one, put one on. If I owned a 70-72 Supreme Hardtop, I'd probably put one on also.

I have not seen that selling guide before. I suspect that is an early printing. It wouldn't be the first time that an option was cancelled after the initial documents were printed. For example, the engineering drawing for the W35 wing was released for the 1972 model year and then cancelled. 1972 was a funny year due to the strike and the resulting last minute decision to keep the 71 models in production as 72s with minor changes. Some options got lost in that panic (like the fact that there was no six cylinder engine offered in 72).

The W25 hood was not factory available on the Supreme Hardtop. The Inspectors Guide (printed Aug 1971) and the SPECS booklet (printed Jan 1972) both show W25 not available on the 4257 (J57) cars. The only ones that ever got it were the 1972 H/Os.
Old August 24th, 2020, 03:46 PM

Ok, Joe, I misread a period. My mistake.

Carpentry, I believe you are misinterpreting some stuff. We have known each other for years here, and often have spirited debates over minutiae on Oldsmobiles. This makes it the best site around for these things. You're in no danger of being kicked off (we don't even really do that), but please understand this sort of nitpicky discussion is common. You haven't made a mistake yet; we simply corrected your terminology.

That being said, it is your car, and, destructive modifications not withstanding (and are not the case here), we strongly support "Your car, your way." with maybe the exception of cloning.

Now that you know the difference between the W-25 OAI hood, the 442 painted Cutlass S hood, the Chrome Cutlass S hood, and the plain jane Cutlass hood, which one do you like the best and we will work on finding you one?
Old August 24th, 2020, 03:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

we strongly support "Your car, your way." with maybe the exception of cloning.
Well, that and LS swaps....
Old August 24th, 2020, 04:37 PM

Well ya got that right !

Shore got that rite !

the problem with the people who actually do know it all is occasionally you take the time the point out 2 those of us who just think we do, the error of our ways
and to imagine my dumbass had been calling that thing a supreme Hood for eons and no one ever bothered , quite possibly known to tell me otherwise and un like most people you may talk to who think they know it all I know damn well I don't and will adjust my knowledge accordingly and if you're not busy Wednesday nights at 8 you could teach a class on correct stuff and I'll follow up wth how to change your knowledge accordingly
I imagine your place will be packed

however

now that you let the cat out of the bag we know you're a damn genius with a bunch of books be prepared 4 questions like the 73's hood I have with those fake louvers that's the one year 73's only and doesn't have anything to do with the fact the car had a 455 from the factory that's my belief how do you feel on that & colombo you one more Hood question
where can I locate very nice 66 a body front hood trim
two pieces or at least one
thank you very much I certainly appreciate all your help I let me know if there's anything I can do besides ask dumb questions
Probably joe p.
.didnt look..
Old August 24th, 2020, 05:19 PM

The object of the discussion is "accuracy".
Old August 24th, 2020, 06:47 PM

Well, I didnt mean to start a war.
Koda's reply was spot-on. Don't misconstrue any of this as animosity between folks. We're all trying to be helpful and teach what we know and learn what we don't.
Old August 25th, 2020, 08:08 AM
Just an Olds Guy

First, please don't be offended or upset by the responses to a thread. It's normal and part of this site. Everyone has an opinion and a lot of us also have facts. It's part of the learning process. Joe P has a wealth of information crammed into his head and multiple computer and hardcopy files that would fill the library of Congress. Others, not so much. I happen to love the 70-72 Cutlass a lot and it's one of my passions so I tend to focus more on the details of that time.

Second, I'll suggest you post a Parts Wanted ad in this site to further your search for a hood. In your search pattern, the hoods from 1971/72 can be used interchangeably unless you have an AC car and want to be absolutely factory correct.

Third, as Joe has stated many times in many threads there are more cars out there today with the W25 hood (not all with OAI underhood) than left the factory. The manufacturer of choice for a 'factory correct' reproduction (licensed by GM) hood is Thorntons. Right now their production is back in swing and be prepared to fork out $3000 for the hood alone. There are other manufacturers that sell the W25 hood that is all fiberglass or a mix of reinforced metal at attachment points for less money. It's a lot of money for something that is aesthetic. Just an FYI, there is an OAI underhood setup for the 350 engine and was available from the factory. I do understand your desire for a hood that looks classy. I sourced out that W25 for my car about 10 years ago. By the time I factored in shipping, duty, labor and paint that hood was sitting at well north of $6000 for just the hood. So I opted to keep my original steel hood with the faux louvers. There's absolutely nothing wrong with keeping the stock hood as it is.

I have the same package as Joe (I assume its the same) The 1972 Product Selling Information, Oldsmobile, Always a Step Ahead.
Here are the "optional hoods" (for lack of word and so no one gets bent out of shape or I interperate it wrong, ect...) for a 1972 Hartop Coupe, Model 4257 (which is a former model number) J57. (Who knows if I'm even right on that)
I have that product selling guide too as a provenance item for the car, and while it's mostly spot on, it has flaws that entry level Olds people wouldn't know about. On your designations, just to help you along the 4257 is the Cutlass Supreme notchback while, the 3287 and 3687 are fastback hardtops (no B pillar); the Olds speak for these cars was "Holiday" coupes. Also, in the spirit of helping you understand the hood selections, there were 6 hoods available in 1972 and I have that information from the GM Parts Manual and the 1972 Cutlass Assembly Manual. 5 of them were metal and one was fiberglass/metal construction. It's listed somewhere in one of the myriad of threads on this site. Joe and I discussed it at length.
I came here looking for advice, from people who know Oldsmobiles, not grown *** men and/ or women bickering over a GREENHORN'S mistake...........
SOOOOOOO........does anyone have a W25 hood, or W29 (442 "appearence") or W30 (If I said that correctly, not to offend anyone or get anyone rialed up) For Sale. Personaly, I like the W25 style the best
Again, just a point of clarification (or education so don't be offended). The W25 hood IS the same hood that came on the W30 442's. And no, I don't think anyone will be upset by what you're trying to express. There's a learning curve for everyone. To help you further with this, any of the all steel hood selections (AC or non AC) can be modified to represent a W29 hood. It's as simple as drilling the 3 holes for the Oldsmobile script and inserting barrel clips or speed nuts to hold the emblem. The pattern for the holes is represented on the underside of the hood. Drill out the center one and then line up the outer two from the top side to ensure proper alignment on top side of the hood.

We good now?

Old August 27th, 2020, 07:12 AM

I was wrong! He not gone! I like this guy.

Last edited by Koda; August 27th, 2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old August 27th, 2020, 08:09 AM

The W25/W30 hood is available from several vendors in varying quality
Thornton Restorations makes an exact copy of the factory hood, Fiberglass/Steel construction, made in PA. $3000
Glasstek Fiberglass makes an all fiberglass version in pin on(no hinges), or bolt on(light weight springs needed). Fit is good. These are USA made, available thru Rocket Racing in WI, and cost around $800
Also available is a fiberglass on steel construction made in Taiwan and sold by multiple American companies(Parts Place, Goodmark, Olds-Parts,etc). Fit is good, cost is approx $1000

After the above listed, there are several smaller companies that make their own copies in both pin on and bolt on fiberglass, selling in the $600 range. These all require varying degrees of body work to fit correctly

Hope this helps
Old August 27th, 2020, 01:14 PM

All is good. And No i am not gone.

Thanks for the info. All take a look at those vendors and see what I can come up with.
Thanks again.
Jesse
Old August 28th, 2020, 07:02 PM

Rob at Fiber Concepts makes a beautiful hood and it allows for the factory hood latch. Amazingly, it fit as well as my original steel hood and required only reasonable preparation. In my opinion, there isn’t a nicer reproduction hood and I took no shortcuts with my car. I’ve heard many say that Thornton is making their hood again ... try getting one though. Unless you have a truly exclusive car, you’ll be thrilled with the Fiber Concepts hood.

Last edited by kencpless@gmail.com; August 28th, 2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old August 29th, 2020, 08:05 AM

Much appreciated. All be def taking a look at their site. Hood looks great by the way. Thanks for the info.
Jesse
Old October 10th, 2020, 09:46 AM

How .long did it take to get your hood> I have had one on order for two months from Rob and am starting to get worried.

Last edited by Scott Hyde; October 20th, 2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old October 10th, 2020, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Scott Hyde
How .long did it take to get your hood> I have had one on order for two months from Rob and am starting to get worried he is a crook!
Hey scott. I havent ordered one yet. Still working on rebuilding the car. Im still looking around for options and may have to just put the old on back on for the time being.
Best of luck. Im sure things are taking longer with this pandemic. Give em a shout and ask. Im sure you will be fine.
jesse
Old October 10th, 2020, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Scott Hyde
How .long did it take to get your hood> I have had one on order for two months from Rob and am starting to get worried he is a crook!
I have no knowledge of Fiber Concepts; however, I was a dealer for US Body Source for many years. Their lead time on an Olds hood was a MINIMUM of six weeks and obviously before Covid-19. I wouldn't disparage someone's reputation without valid proof. My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Wtb 72 cutlass supreme 442 hood