Wanted B85 molding 70 post coupe

Old April 18th, 2019, 03:21 AM

Wanted B85 molding 70 post coupe

Still looking for some B85 molding for a 1970 post coupe. Trying to finish up my W-30 post coupe restoration. Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 27th, 2019, 11:18 PM

Ttt
Old May 28th, 2019, 03:08 AM

what are b85 mouldings ?
Old May 28th, 2019, 06:53 AM

This picture is not of a post coupe but as you can see the molding sits on top of the door and on top of the quarter panel under the rear window.
Old May 28th, 2019, 10:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Are the B85 moldings the same for 70-72 Hardtops and Post coupes?
Old May 28th, 2019, 11:14 AM

Allan, They are hardtop and post coup specific. hard to find for the hardtop but the post cars are even harder to find them for.
Old May 28th, 2019, 11:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I have a set for the 3687 hard top. They're anodized aluminum. Didn't know if they were interchangeable and now I know. I guess it all hinges around where the B pillar post affects the fit?
Old May 28th, 2019, 08:57 PM

easyd - I think we've discussed this before and to others reading this thread, here's my "verdict" on the moldings:

>The QP B85 moldings from a non-post car could be modified to work on a post coupe. Other than the notch in the forward 1" or so of the post coupe molding (the notch is for clearance around the post), the non-post and post moldings appear to be the same or VERY close. When I say "VERY close" I mean there may be some subtle differences on the part that is hidden below the window sweeper....maybe some extra screw holes, etc but nothing that wouldn't be super easy to do.

As far as the "notch" for the post.....it's a short notch and would require cutting and bending/re-forming the aluminum at the front of each QP piece to clear the post.

>As far as the door pieces.....much more of a challenge. There are TWO "notches" in each post coupe B85 door piece.

- There is a notch at the back for clearance around the DOOR post - not very large and probably similar work to notching a QP trim piece....but....

- There is a VERY LONG notch along the front of each door piece to clear the vent windows. This notch would be more of a challenge since you are dealing with trying to modify the forward 12-1/2 inches or so of each door piece. Some tig welding might even be required there and that may affect the coloring of the metal which matters since these are anodized.

So - if you run across some "cheap" QP B85 non-post moldings it might be worth getting those if you or someone you know is skilled in making mods to alum trim pieces. As far as the door moldings.....it's a dice roll...BUT.....there are A LOT of Cutlass Supremes out there with the door moldings to finding a couple to play "guinea pig" with wouldn't be an expensive acquisition.

Sorry to "beat a dead horse" on this since I think we discussed this in a prior thread but at least this is a "possible possibility" if you just can't find any post coupe moldings.

I'll look for some post couple moldings at the OCA Nats this summer if you aren't going to be there and still haven't found any.
Old May 30th, 2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
easyd - I think we've discussed this before and to others reading this thread, here's my "verdict" on the moldings:

>The QP B85 moldings from a non-post car could be modified to work on a post coupe. Other than the notch in the forward 1" or so of the post coupe molding (the notch is for clearance around the post), the non-post and post moldings appear to be the same or VERY close. When I say "VERY close" I mean there may be some subtle differences on the part that is hidden below the window sweeper....maybe some extra screw holes, etc but nothing that wouldn't be super easy to do.

As far as the "notch" for the post.....it's a short notch and would require cutting and bending/re-forming the aluminum at the front of each QP piece to clear the post.

>As far as the door pieces.....much more of a challenge. There are TWO "notches" in each post coupe B85 door piece.

- There is a notch at the back for clearance around the DOOR post - not very large and probably similar work to notching a QP trim piece....but....

- There is a VERY LONG notch along the front of each door piece to clear the vent windows. This notch would be more of a challenge since you are dealing with trying to modify the forward 12-1/2 inches or so of each door piece. Some tig welding might even be required there and that may affect the coloring of the metal which matters since these are anodized.

So - if you run across some "cheap" QP B85 non-post moldings it might be worth getting those if you or someone you know is skilled in making mods to alum trim pieces. As far as the door moldings.....it's a dice roll...BUT.....there are A LOT of Cutlass Supremes out there with the door moldings to finding a couple to play "guinea pig" with wouldn't be an expensive acquisition.

Sorry to "beat a dead horse" on this since I think we discussed this in a prior thread but at least this is a "possible possibility" if you just can't find any post coupe moldings.

I'll look for some post couple moldings at the OCA Nats this summer if you aren't going to be there and still haven't found any.
Yes sir. We have discussed this before. I won’t be able to go to the Nationals. If you run across any I would be very interested. The guy restoring my car doesn’t seem interested in trying to make anything work. Maybe I need to bring you the car. That being said maybe he just wants the car done right. Hell I am just ready to get my car back. It has been a long and extensive restoration. Can’t wait to show the finished product to the group.

I would have started the search long ago but supposedly there were a couple of people that had them but now won’t sell them. Just trying to put the car back like it was. Mine were sent off to be repaired but were deemed “unrepairable”. I hate to think I might have to buy a car to get them. I do have somethings to trade if that’s what it takes.

Last edited by easyd; May 30th, 2019 at 04:56 PM.