WANTED: 455 Intake Manifold - stock, cast-iron, 4bbl

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2014, 12:18 PM

WANTED: 455 Intake Manifold - stock, cast-iron, 4bbl

Looking for one O.E. cast-iron intake manifold for an OLDS 455, for a Qjet 4bbl carb. 1968-1976 should all be okay. Non-EGR / with-EGR / with EGR block-off, are all okay. Don't mind if it's grungy, as long as all the mating surfaces are excellent, and it's not rusty or corroded (inside or out). No cracks or bored-out holes or other damage. Snapped-bolts okay. Prefer WITH carb choke heater tube assembly attached.

For use in a stock '73 Olds Delta 88 convertible; so don't need (or want) a Toronado intake. Any other original-application 455 cast-iron intake, should be okay. Thanks in advance!
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:50 PM

I have at least one here in Indianapolis, where are you at? Shipping would be pricey. I'd like to get $50.00 for one plus shipping.
Thanks.
Scott
c. 317-727-7041
Old February 6th, 2014, 01:12 PM

I'm in Los Angeles, CA. But I don't mind paying for shipping for a nice manifold, from wherever. My biggest concern will be avoiding shipping damage. I've had horrible luck in the past, and have ZERO confidence in any and all shipping companies. All I can hope for is excellent packaging, and a bit of luck. I'll give you a call. I'm reachable at 310-980-2755. Thanks!

-Jon
Old February 6th, 2014, 03:06 PM

I have a 390390 for a qjet, from a 400-425, in Vegas.
Old February 6th, 2014, 03:24 PM

I'm not sure that a manifold for a 400-425 will fit on a 455. My suspicion is that it won't; but I'll check that number in an old G.M. dealership Oldsmobile parts catalog I have access to, to see what it indicates. Is that a known 'part number' for your manifold, or just a casting number? Sometimes a casting number is the part number; sometimes not. What I don't have, but wish I did, is an interchange manual...
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:25 PM

Since it is going in a 73,do you need an intake with the EGR?
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:27 PM

I have a 72 410448.
Old February 6th, 2014, 08:01 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-B...a9b82d&vxp=mtr

Others here are less expensive

ANY big block intake will fit just fine, from the 1965 thru the last 1976

Who cares what the GM part number is/was? You gonna find one on the dealer shelf?

It makes more sense to go by the casting ID
The E-390390 casting is well known, it is the 66-67 all BB exc. Toronado/FWD applications.

The similar J-'662 intake was used 68-69 and has TWO front water crossover bungs, which you may find handy.

PS don't rule out the Toronado intakes. The Toronado was quite high performance, and you get more hood clearance/ air filter room.
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
Since it is going in a 73,do you need an intake with the EGR?
No, I don't. As I mentioned in my original post, I don't care if it has an EGR or not. California doesn't require smog testing on a '73, so it doesn't make any difference for us. I'll take an intake with or without an EGR mounting boss. Just has to be in good shape.
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
I have a 72 410448.
I think that's one of the 'good for my purposes' casting numbers / part numbers that I'm looking for. Please call me at 310-980-2755 to talk about it. Thanks.

-Jon
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-B...a9b82d&vxp=mtr

Others here are less expensive

ANY big block intake will fit just fine, from the 1965 thru the last 1976

Who cares what the GM part number is/was? You gonna find one on the dealer shelf?

It makes more sense to go by the casting ID
The E-390390 casting is well known, it is the 66-67 all BB exc. Toronado/FWD applications.

The similar J-'662 intake was used 68-69 and has TWO front water crossover bungs, which you may find handy.

PS don't rule out the Toronado intakes. The Toronado was quite high performance, and you get more hood clearance/ air filter room.
Thanks Octania, for all the good information.

Yikes! That one you linked to on eBay looks horrible! And waaaay too expensive! So far, I like what I'm hearing from Scott (aka "oldspackrat") the best. He's gonna take some pics of what he has, and we'll go from there.

I actually don't know (yet) what year the 455 block is that I'm having rebuilt. It's not the original motor for this particular car; just something I purchased all by itself (missing the intake). When my rebuilder is finished with it, it'll replace the existing tired 350 in my friend/customer's '73 Delta 88 convertible.

Our goal is to simply 'drop in' a freshly rebuilt 455 that would be reasonably close to what the factory would have put in, if this particular car had been built with a 455 in '73. ...Apart from the EGR, though, as mentioned previously. So if some other intake than what I originally posted for will work, great! Would give me more to choose from. That said; I'd want to make sure that anyone working on this car in the future can just order any needed parts for a '73 455, and not have any incompatibility problems. Or be confronted with anything that screams to them "this engine is a Frankenstein's-monster".

Are you sure about your Toronado point? I've heard from multiple sources that there's a bit more airflow-impedance in a Toro intake than in a non-Toro one, due to some extra internal baffling due to the 'low-profiling'. If that's even slightly true, I don't see why I'd want to go there if I can avoid it. For a Delta 88, I certainly wouldn't "need" the hood clearance, since I'll be using a stock air cleaner on a stock Qjet.
Old February 7th, 2014, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by VintageCarDoc
Thanks Octania, for all the good information.

Yikes! That one you linked to on eBay looks horrible! And waaaay too expensive! So far, I like what I'm hearing from Scott (aka "oldspackrat") the best. He's gonna take some pics of what he has, and we'll go from there.

I actually don't know (yet) what year the 455 block is that I'm having rebuilt. It's not the original motor for this particular car; just something I purchased all by itself (missing the intake). When my rebuilder is finished with it, it'll replace the existing tired 350 in my friend/customer's '73 Delta 88 convertible.

Our goal is to simply 'drop in' a freshly rebuilt 455 that would be reasonably close to what the factory would have put in, if this particular car had been built with a 455 in '73. ...Apart from the EGR, though, as mentioned previously. So if some other intake than what I originally posted for will work, great! Would give me more to choose from. That said; I'd want to make sure that anyone working on this car in the future can just order any needed parts for a '73 455, and not have any incompatibility problems. Or be confronted with anything that screams to them "this engine is a Frankenstein's-monster".

Are you sure about your Toronado point? I've heard from multiple sources that there's a bit more airflow-impedance in a Toro intake than in a non-Toro one, due to some extra internal baffling due to the 'low-profiling'. If that's even slightly true, I don't see why I'd want to go there if I can avoid it. For a Delta 88, I certainly wouldn't "need" the hood clearance, since I'll be using a stock air cleaner on a stock Qjet.
Putting anything but a 73 intake on it imo is like frankenstein missing 1 bolt.
Old February 7th, 2014, 09:36 AM

Ordinarily, I'd agree. And in a perfect scenario, that's what I'd prefer. But I figure that might be a little unrealistic, in terms of what I can reasonably expect to find available out there. And since this motor-swap itself technically kills any 'all-stock' value this car might have retained by keeping its original engine, I'm not too concerned this time. It's what the owner wants to do, so 'so-be-it'. This car is a 'driver', and will never be a 'show-car' where matching-numbers will count for anything.
Old February 7th, 2014, 06:42 PM

455 Intake

I have a 455 cast iron intake from 1974 the number is 412753. This manifold is in great shape with very minimal corrosion. It has been media blasted and coated with Goodson cast blast paint to prevent it from rusting. Should be painted to match engine. I will sell this manifold for $100 plus shipping.

CIMG3217.jpg
This may seem expensive, but this manifold looks really good for it's age.