trunk emblem

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2011, 03:39 PM

trunk emblem

I am looking for two dealer trunk emblems from Rocket Olds in Abilene Texas. Any help appreciated.
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:41 PM

Looks like Rocket Oldsmobile was/is Rocket Cadillac/Nissan on S Clack. Have you tried just dropping in on the parts department, make nice with someone and see if they might have some sitting in a dust-covered box somewhere?

IMO I would try someone who looks like they have been there a while, the younger parts guys may have forgotten Oldsmobile when GM took the sign down
Old October 1st, 2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by chrisneu68olds
Looks like Rocket Oldsmobile was/is Rocket Cadillac/Nissan on S Clack. Have you tried just dropping in on the parts department, make nice with someone and see if they might have some sitting in a dust-covered box somewhere?

IMO I would try someone who looks like they have been there a while, the younger parts guys may have forgotten Oldsmobile when GM took the sign down
I would do that, but I live in Dallas area. Thanks, maybe I can make a call to their parts dept. They used to be on South 1st years ago.
Old October 4th, 2011, 07:18 AM

This is what I want. I did speak to their parts dept. The man has been with the company for 40 plus years. He knew what I wanted but didn't know about any still available. Rocket sold out in 2004, but he still sees the previous owner occasionally. Will ask him about the emblems next time he sees him and call me.

rocket003.jpg

Last edited by edzolz; October 4th, 2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old October 4th, 2011, 07:44 AM

I think your best bet is to go to a junkyard in the same city as where this dealer was located. Most cars sold by this dealer probably stayed in that city over their lives, and so the greatest concentrations of cars from that dealer are likely to be in local junkyards. If you can, ask to be allowed to walk the junkyard collection, looking at the back ends of any Oldsmobiles you find, and maybe you'll get lucky.

The problem with contacting the current version of the dealership, while certainly worth doing, is that, if they have any old trunk emblems at all, they're likely to be the plastic kind that are more common now and have been for the last 20 years or so. The metal ones like you want were used in the '70s and earlier, so while it's possible but unlikely that the dealer will have any emblems at all, it's very unlikely they would still have any from 40 or 50 years ago.

Posting on here is a one-in-a-million shot as the fraction of users on here from Abilene is probably very small, and few people collect these dealer emblems, if anyone does at all.

Dallas to Abilene is what, about a three-hour drive? Not right next door, to be sure, but it's not like you're in Bangor, Maine or something like that. Call a junkyard or two, make an arrangement to visit if you can, and devote a Saturday sometime to the effort.

I just now did a google search on Abilene junkyards, and this promising-looking one turned up.

http://www.fm600wrecking.com/

Give 'em a call. Let us know what happens if you do.

Maybe one of the junkyards will save you the trip and try to find one for you. They should know pretty quickly if they have any old Oldsmobiles, and taking a quick look at the back ends of them shouldn't take them long. Your request would certainly be unusual, but maybe you'll get lucky and reach an employee who wants to be helpful and would take a few minutes to look when he gets a chance.

Last edited by jaunty75; October 4th, 2011 at 07:49 AM.