throttle linkage component, 1967 Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2011, 04:22 PM

throttle linkage component, 1967 Delta 88

This piece on my throttle linkage just snapped in two today.

Before:

After:

From the other side:

Before:

After:

The thing of it is, I think that this is actually not the correct piece for my car. I found the diagram in the service manual for the throttle linkage, and this piece looks like the more square piece circled in blue which is supposed to be the "switch assembly" for the Jetaway transmission. The part circled in green is round and is apparently what it's supposed to look like. The bracked it mounts to looks like the L-shaped one in the "AUTO TRANSMISSION" diagram, so at least that's correct.

The fact that it's apparently wrong would actually explain some things I've noticed about the behavior of the throttle linkage in the 2 years I've owned this car. I know nothing about the car's previous history, but the throttle has never felt quite right, and I could never figure out why. I never had a reason before now to find this diagram, and now maybe I know the problem. Perhaps this thing broke once before, and all that was available was one from a car with a Jetaway. At least the car could be driven, even if the kickdown didn't work.

But it might not even be from a '67. If you look at the location of the electrical pins in the switch in the diagram, they're toward the right as pictured. On the switch from my car, in the top two photos, they're toward the left. Perhaps they didn't just take a switch from a car with a Jetaway, but it was from a different year Jetaway?

Anyway, what is this piece called? The book just says "switch assembly" It's the transmission kickdown switch, right? It looks in the diagram like the switch can be removed from the other pieces of the linkage. Is it (or was it) possible to get just the switch and attach it to the linkage?

Anyone think there's a chance I could have the broken piece brazed or welded back on? It actually broke off very cleanly. It doesn't have to work long term. It's just that right now the car can't be moved as I have no gas pedal. If I could just get it so I could move the car in and out of the garage and around the driveway until I find a replacement, I would be happier.

Does anyone know if anything other than another '67 Delta 88 can donate a part? I'm assuming any '67 with the Turbo Hydra-matic transmission? Or any other '65-'67 with the 425 engine? How about another GM make of the same year?

Thank you.
Old September 16th, 2011, 05:41 PM

I believe there were 2 different types of of these trans switches...one was more round and one square. I think they are interchangeable but not sure. I know i pulled one off a 67 Toro and it was differnet than my 66 round style. I dont know where it went but I will look....
Old September 16th, 2011, 05:44 PM

Thank you. They're definitely interchangeable as far as being able to be screwed into the bracket that holds it and being hooked into the linkage, and that's good enough for me.

Please let me know if you have one.
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:15 PM

Wow it was right were I put it 20 years ago....condition unknown yours for ship cost. Do not know if a Toro used a different style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
toros.jpg (64.2 KB, 14 views)
toros1.jpg (44.6 KB, 13 views)
toros2.jpg (46.5 KB, 16 views)
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:17 PM

Erra now that I look at yours I dont think it is the same....
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:32 PM

It is different, but I'll take it from you, anyway, because the housing IS the same, and the mounting bracket is undoubtedly the same. The black plastic back piece that has the pins on it comes off, and maybe I can switch the parts around to put my linkage pieces on your mounting.

PM me with what you want for the shipping. I can send you the money immediately via Paypal if you like, or I can send a check.

Thank you.
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Oldsdruid

There were two suppliers, Delco (round switch) and Littelfuse (square switch), and I don't think there was much rhyme or reason to which one the car got. There are different part numbers for trailer package vs non-trailer, and Toronado switches are different part # from the A/B/C cars. A/B/C cars all use the same switch no matter which transmission is installed.
Old September 17th, 2011, 04:23 AM

Thanks. That's good info to have. Oldsmaniac is sending me his part, and I'm going to try to make it work.

But I'm still interested in getting an exact match if anyone has one, and I don't ending up with more than one part. It can't hurt to have spares.

I pried off the plastic back piece to see what will be involved in trying to switch the two mechanisms and found what appears to be a part number stamped on the inside of the housing. 247007