Rear Bumper needed for 1968 Ninety-Eight

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2018, 02:40 PM

Rear Bumper needed for 1968 Ninety-Eight

Good evening to the forum. I am in search of a rear bumper for a friend's 1968 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight. He lives in Upstate New York. I have heard a rear bumper from a 1967 will fit as well, could this be proved or refuted? In any case does somebody have a decent driver quality at least bumper. The price and location is asked so I can forward on information to my friend. A picture of the car in question, not the most flattering, the other ones are in another device!

Thanking the group in advance, regards, Howie.
Old February 4th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Olds Collector

Hi: Nice 98. I like the sedans as well as hardtops. I really like the green and the interior looks like it might be green cloth. It might be hard to find a bumper in better shape than the one you have. Have you considered having yours redone? I do think it is hard to find a plate company that does factory quality work. Best of luck to your friend, I hope he enjoys the car for years and years. Trent in Los Angeles
Old February 4th, 2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Vistabrat72
I have heard a rear bumper from a 1967 will fit as well, could this be proved or refuted?
If you hold the two up side-by-side, they sure look the same.

1967:

1968:

Old February 4th, 2018, 05:16 PM

Well, the darn parts book shows the same PN for both years...395459.
Old February 4th, 2018, 05:38 PM

Thanks to all! At least this and other suggestions broadens the scope a little bit. The bumper on the car in question has a rust-out in a small spot, who knows where else it may be ready to do the same? The search continues!
Old February 4th, 2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by vistacruiser1971
Hi: Nice 98. I like the sedans as well as hardtops. I really like the green and the interior looks like it might be green cloth. It might be hard to find a bumper in better shape than the one you have. Have you considered having yours redone? I do think it is hard to find a plate company that does factory quality work. Best of luck to your friend, I hope he enjoys the car for years and years. Trent in Los Angeles
Hey Trent, It is a very sharp and stately looking car! Thank you. It did see some neglect and some dubious repairs that will be corrected. It is actually blue, I have better pictures I am trying to dig up!
Old February 5th, 2018, 05:40 AM

Have him email me at dead@mchsi.com. I'd need measurements to confirm and find where it got put but I think I have a very nice driver shape bumper. Downside is shipping costs, I'm in IL.
Old February 5th, 2018, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by deaddds
Have him email me at dead@mchsi.com. I'd need measurements to confirm and find where it got put but I think I have a very nice driver shape bumper. Downside is shipping costs, I'm in IL.
Thank you very much! I most certainly will. Much appreciated as he was when I told him of the possibility. Regards, Howie.
Old February 5th, 2018, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by deaddds
BTW He lives in New York State, and makes many cross country treks in search of rust free/classic cars. So he may very well be able to pick up the bumper if it does pan out and an agreed price is found between the two of you. Regards, Howie.