radiator support

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2014, 04:19 PM

radiator support

Hello, I am replacing a rusted out 70 cutlass battery tray and realized the metal beneath the battery tray is almost gone. Examining further, I see this is part of the left hand side of the radiator support. Don't know if this is available in good shape or at least good enough to blast it and make it work, but I hope someone can help me out
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:28 PM

Pretty common that these are rusty- Battery acid would do it. That's why I like the newer gel cell batteries- Anyway I notice on ebay they sell reproductions but they say they're for 70-72. That's wrong-70 is different than 71-72.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:53 PM

Greg,
The '71 is also a little different than the '72. There are two little humps where the outer top corners of the grill would be.
Old June 4th, 2014, 05:26 AM

I only need the lower section on the left (driver) side. I plan on cut and welding it in place of the rusted area beneath the battery tray. That part should be the same, right?
Old June 4th, 2014, 05:59 AM

That area is identical for 71 and 72, maybe 70 as well. The problem is there's no repop other than the complete 70 unit, and that's the damaged area on almost every core support out there. Solid ones are as rare as hens teeth. I found one but it was bent pretty severely, so it still took a lot of time to repair. Some folks have fabbed up their own replacement parts.
Keep your eyes open and you might come across one. Craigslist and ebay, particularly. Don't expect any of them to be perfect though.
Old June 4th, 2014, 06:53 AM

I have a pretty nice battery tray area I cut out of a otherwise severely damaged core support. I can get pictures if you want?
Scott
C. 317-727-7041
Old June 4th, 2014, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ken'sConvertible
I only need the lower section on the left (driver) side. I plan on cut and welding it in place of the rusted area beneath the battery tray. That part should be the same, right?
Ken,

I had the same problem and after struggling to find a good solid full core support, I decided to source a replacement to just the driver side headlight support and planned on wellding in as you noted. When I got into it, the original is all spot welded and it was impossible for me to separate the two pieces without warping and damaging things. I have tabled this project for now in search for a full replacement core support. Just wanted to give you a heads up on the difficulty. If you do end up making it work, please send me some photos.

Sean
Old June 4th, 2014, 12:07 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

I have a rust free 70 core support , but do not want to ship it.
Old June 7th, 2014, 03:32 AM

Thanks everyone for thee responses. They really helped. Scott, pics and a price would be great. Lunaboy, thanks anyway, but I am not quite ready for a Texas trip, although this past winter might have changed my mind!!!
Ken
Old June 7th, 2014, 08:02 PM

Ken,
Here is a picture. I forgot I haven't cut it out yet. Take a look & give me a call when you can?
Thanks.
Scott
c. 317-727-7041