Power bench seat cables

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2014, 03:07 PM

Power bench seat cables

I need the power bench seat cables that go from the seat transmission to the passenger side seat track for a full sized 1960's GM car. These cables have the knurled outer rings and threaded inner rings, just like the old speedometer cables. If you have any, please either post a picture along with the length of the cables, so I can check them against my bad ones. Thanks Junk.......
Old November 6th, 2014, 03:14 PM

I have a complete bench seat power track assembly I would sell for $200.

Plus the ride.

Larry
lemoldsnut@aol.com
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the offer, however, I already have all the parts that were given to me by a friend, and I have already rebuilt all those parts. The cables that came with my system, have rusted inner cables, hence the need to find new cables.
Old November 8th, 2014, 10:32 AM

a speedometer shop can make them..they just will be black instead of color coded...take your old ones in..for length etc..needs to be an old fashioned real speedo shop...
Old November 8th, 2014, 11:14 AM

I have a partial bench seat assembly. I'll check the cables for length.
Old November 8th, 2014, 01:53 PM

If oldspackrat don't have them I have some I can check also.
Old November 8th, 2014, 02:32 PM

I remember seeing those type cables in like the 68 98 seat. Probably also have some.
Old November 8th, 2014, 03:35 PM

On the two that I have, the actual metal cable is 32" long. The plastic sheaths are about an inch or so shorter.
$35.00 shipped for the pair?

Last edited by oldspackrat; November 8th, 2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:43 AM

bench seat

Could a manual bench be converted to a power bench? Sounds like a fun project for the winter.

Let me know if someone has done this (or made a full swap). I have a 72 Supreme (w manual bench)
Old December 7th, 2014, 06:14 AM

it is not that hard. Simply unbolt the seat tracks from the bench seat and install the power seat tracks and you have to have the specific brackets for the power bench seat that weld to the floor. I believe I have all those components in stock. Give me a call?
Scott
C. 317-727-7041
Old December 7th, 2014, 09:20 AM

The power seat tracks are the same as the manual seat tracks. You will need to pull a 12 gauge wire from the positive battery terminal of the starter to the left side kick panel, where you will install a 40 amp circuit breaker, unless your car is a convertible. The convertibles already have this circuit breaker installed for the power top motor. From the circuit breaker, you install a wire under the carpet to the left side of the seat. Remove your original seat, and then replace the seat tracks with the power seat tracks. They will bolt up using the old hardware. You will need to bolt the power seat motor and transmission to the front rail of your seat, and install a power seat switch into the left side of your seat. There is a special bracket that holds the seat switch, in most cars, or if your car uses a aluminum seat trim, the switch will install into the same trim from a power seat car. There are 6 cables that go to the power seat transmission. Three cables for each track. The cables are color coded, and each one goes to a specific seat actuator.
Many times, when you buy a power seat assembly from someone, you will not get all the small parts that you will need to complete the job, such as the seat switch mounting bracket. Like many thing on cars, people take only the major parts, and leave the smaller parts behind, not realizing that those parts are specific to the option.
If you do purchase a used power seat assembly, it is best to first recondition all the parts, being careful to document the assembly as you take it apart, so you don't reassemble it incorrectly. The reason for reconditioning is that the 40 year old grease has become hard, and the parts won't work the way that they are supposed to.
If the seat tracks are rusted, and they don't move, don't force them apart, since there are 4 plastic glides on each track, and forcing the tracks apart, will break these glides. The best thing to do is to soak the track in a rust dissolving solution, until they can be disassembled by hand. The glides keep the seat tracks in proper alignment when the actuators are moving the upper part of the track. The actuators turn by the cables, and they turn the gear on the track. It sounds complicated, however, once you have one in hand, you will see how simple they are.

Old December 7th, 2014, 09:31 AM

Here are tutorial on the actuators and transmission that I posted on the Chevy Forums a while ago...

Power Seat Actuator cleaning & service:

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...rch/1/#2379210

Servicing the Power Seat Transmission:

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...rch/1/#2420190
Old December 7th, 2014, 10:01 AM

john,

power bench requires a special pair of brackets that get welded to the floor pan....with out those there no mount or leveling point for the rear track mount....

if you car didnt come with a power bench you dont have them, and you cant just drill holes in the pan and mount it....i quess you could but the set would lean back etc...

i am pretty sure the brackets are re popped..its not a big deal..most people have no idea they are required

heres a good pic of the stuff mounted...it bolts into any bench
powerseat.jpg

and these are the brackets you need for the conversion

Last edited by marxjunk; December 7th, 2014 at 10:17 AM.