Onewoman

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2015, 07:41 AM

Question Onewoman

Looking for a rubber fuel line for a 1990 Olds Cutless Ciera
Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:31 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Welcome to CO.
I was under impression that they sell rubber fuel lines by the foot at any local parts store.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
I was under impression that they sell rubber fuel lines by the foot at any local parts store.
They do! And vacuum hose, windshield washer hose, and probably a dozen other lines and hoses.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:16 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Some of those '90s and later cars, though, have lines with funny built-in connectors on them, though.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:58 AM

Be most cautious, one woman. There several hose types available, but only a very few are suitable for use with fuel. Search transmission hose for a recent thread on this forum. Fortunately, parts stores stock it in bulk lengths, and my local Advance has a counter gal who knew the difference.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by CutlassDad; May 22nd, 2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Some of those '90s and later cars, though, have lines with funny built-in connectors on them, though.
Maybe they do, but the point is that she ought to be able to get what she needs at any auto parts store. Probably any GM dealer parts counter, too. The car is old, but not that old.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 06:59 PM

Exclamation fuel line hose for 1990 Olds. Cutless Ceira

I have tried to find this fuel line at Advance, O'Riley, Napa, and the dealership, they all tell me that it has been discontinued. I even tried J.C. Whitney. I know that I just can't use any rubber hose because it will be transporting gas.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by onewoman
I have tried to find this fuel line at Advance, O'Riley, Napa, and the dealership, they all tell me that it has been discontinued.
I find it hard to believe that owners of 1990 Cutlasses have to scrap their cars if they ever need a new fuel line. I'm curious what kind of answer you would get if, instead of looking for this part on your own, you simply took the car to a GM dealer, told them you had a leaking fuel line, and asked them to repair it.

Would they simply turn you away with a "sorry, Ma'am, it can't be done" for an answer? That would surprise me. If the standard part isn't available anymore, can't they use a little imagination, simply cut a piece of hose to the required length, attach the appropriate connectors, and install it? I'd hate to think that a dealership repair shop, or any automotive repair shop (Pep Boys, Firestone, or any of the millions of others) would be defeated by a leaking fuel line on any car of any year.

I know that I just can't use any rubber hose because it will be transporting gas.
No, but they make rubber hose specifically designed to be used to carry fuel, and that's what you would want.

Why can't you just buy this stuff?

http://www.autozone.com/fuel-deliver...r-2-5l-tbi-ohv

Last edited by jaunty75; May 23rd, 2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 08:14 PM

Give me a few minutes, and I'll check my hose inventory.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 08:22 PM

Is this what you need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-Fuel-...789e07&vxp=mtr
Old May 23rd, 2015, 08:51 PM

I'm pretty sure that this came from my local Advance Auto Parts...SAE 30R 7 for fuel, but not fuel injection
Their web site does not go into hose types and specific uses, it only shows ID and length.
That SAE 30R7 is stenciled on the hose OD.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 08:56 PM

Advance does show hose ends with what I'm assuming to be the "modern" connectors also. AAP is the closest parts store to me.
Old May 25th, 2015, 10:42 AM

fuel line

Looking in my repair software, I see that the 2.3L engine in a '90 Ciera has a fuel pressure spec of 41-47 psi; way too much for a typical rubber hose/clamp set-up. There is an illustration showing what appears to be formed stainless steel fuel hard lines with braided ss hose attached with high pressure crimps. These attach to the fuel rails as pressure and return lines. This may be why she can't find a replacement "rubber hose".
Old May 25th, 2015, 01:16 PM

Can you at least post a picture of the hose that needs to be replaced?
Old May 26th, 2015, 08:38 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Where is the fuel line in question located?.
If you can take the old one off then it shouldn't take much imagination from an old school parts guy to come up with a suitable replacement. The hard bit is finding an old school parts guy. When you find him give that store all your business, when you are stuck someone like that is priceless.

Roger.