NOS Fenders for 1970

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2013, 04:22 AM

NOS Fenders for 1970

Does anyone know where I could get a pair of NOS fenders for my 1970 Cutlass Supreme.
Old August 1st, 2013, 11:54 AM

I have not seen an NOS 70 only fender in years, doesn't mean they are not around but hard to come buy. You see 71/72s more often and of course the repos. You;d be better off using good used fenders though rather than the repos.
Old August 1st, 2013, 02:20 PM

Thanks Steven, I hope to find NOS but will likely need to find good used ones.
Old August 1st, 2013, 04:00 PM

Fyi

Originally Posted by cutlasscj
Hope you have about $3K on hand for those fenders because that is what it will take to buy them.
Old August 1st, 2013, 04:04 PM

70 fenders

It depends what you mean by nos fenders. As discussed many times, there's flat ridge and crumple zones. There's not a whole lot of people who would notice or care which ones are on your car. 70's came with both kinds, and the different styles have the same part numbers....i believe.
If you don't know the difference or care, then there's plenty of nos fenders out there anywhere from $500-750 a side, to whatever someone will pay.
good luck.
Old August 1st, 2013, 05:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Vader
It depends what you mean by nos fenders.....
NOS = New Old Stock. Not repro - simply OEM stock that has NEVER been mounted or used on a car. It may or may not show wear from storage depending on how it was stored. OEM NOS means it was made with the same dies as when the car was originally built; and that means a much better fit with little to no tweaking required. The cost offset of NOS parts compared to labor and fabrication to make some repops fit makes the NOS (more expensive at the outset) sometimes "more cost effective" in the long run. I know that's not a hard and fast rule, but in general it holds water.

As discussed many times, there's flat ridge and crumple zones. 70's came with both kinds, and the different styles have the same part numbers....i believe.
If you don't know the difference or care, then there's plenty of nos fenders out there anywhere from $500-750 a side, to whatever someone will pay.
good luck.
Not so. 1970 cars only came with flat ridges on the fenders. It was 1971 that had flat ridge fenders till the supply of them was used up. Some 71 cars with original fenders have one side with flat and one side with crumple ridges.

Finding an NOS fender for 70 - 72 for 500 - 750? I don't think so (unless the seller has no concept of what they have). 500 is about what the repops go for depending on brand. However, I do agree with your assessment of 'whatever someone will pay' - usually on the extreme high side.
Old August 1st, 2013, 05:16 PM

I thought 71s came with the flat ridges early on and then went to the crumple zones relatively early in production. I'm with Vader here, not too much of a concern to me on my cars or on someone elses car but for those who this matters we should try to be consistent. Anyone remember for sure when the crumple zones came out.

It depends what you mean by nos fenders. As discussed many times, there's flat ridge and crumple zones. There's not a whole lot of people who would notice or care which ones are on your car. 70's came with both kinds, and the different styles have the same part numbers....i believe.
good luck.
Old August 1st, 2013, 05:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I thought 71s came with the flat ridges early on and then went to the crumple zones relatively early in production.
Steven, you think correctly.
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
The cost offset of NOS parts compared to labor and fabrication to make some repops fit makes the NOS (more expensive at the outset) sometimes "more cost effective" in the long run. I know that's not a hard and fast rule, but in general it holds water.
As far as fenders go take it from me a good used pair of 70s will be well worth the effort to repair rather than the repos. My fenders were in really great condition with only a few imperfections from 40 years of use. Idiot body shop insisted the repos would be less effort even after we compared the two - should have pushed to keep those, shop ended up ruining originals and spending more time trying to get the repos to fit
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Agreed, patch panels are readily available for these cars. 99% of the rust is in that lower area behind the wheel where all the crud accumulates and rusts from inside. Only thing that's not repopped is that fender brace which gives the structure and attachment points at the bottom of the fender.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:20 AM

nos fenders

"Finding an NOS fender for 70 - 72 for 500 - 750? I don't think so (unless the seller has no concept of what they have). 500 is about what the repops go for depending on brand. However, I do agree with your assessment of 'whatever someone will pay' - usually on the extreme high side."

I disagree....There's been quite a few sets on here that have sold for under $750 a side. I've personally sold at least 2 sets for less. (guess I didn't know what I had).

Here's one side for $750.. you show up with cash and I'm sure it will be less.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-72-NOS-...73f0a2&vxp=mtr

The other nos set on there at $900 or so a side have been on there for a year ! Just timing...
Old August 2nd, 2013, 04:32 AM

I have a real nice 70 Supreme fender.I think it is for the RH side.I have other fenders,but they are either 70 Cutlass or 70 442,and those are not for sale yet.The one I mentioned has all the correct holes for the chrome moldings.
Where are you located?
Whether you choose 70 fenders,or 71-72,just make sure you have a matching pair.You don't want a flat rail on one side,and a crumpled one on the other.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Agreed, patch panels are readily available for these cars. 99% of the rust is in that lower area behind the wheel where all the crud accumulates and rusts from inside. Only thing that's not repopped is that fender brace which gives the structure and attachment points at the bottom of the fender.
Allen I have heard of "purists" cutting up repro fenders to repair the brace and lower heel of their original 70 fenders just so they can have the flat ridge.

The lower area on a repro fender fits fine, its the upper areas that dont so it sounds logical to me that it should work perfectly fine if done correctly.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 05:09 AM

I had some lower sections from a pair of NOS fenders that were on a car for a few years,then it got hit in the front.Those made nice donors for the lower sections,but you have to watch how high you go,as the inner lip is different between 1970 and 71-72.The recessed area behind the bumper is also slightly different,but you need both styles of fenders to notice it.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:31 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I disagree....There's been quite a few sets on here that have sold for under $750 a side. I've personally sold at least 2 sets for less. (guess I didn't know what I had).
I won't argue with your success! $ in your pocket is better than storing parts forever. You will find that a strictly 1970 OEM NOS fender will command a premium all day long though - to the right people of course.

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
I have a real nice 70 Supreme fender.I think it is for the RH side.I have other fenders,but they are either 70 Cutlass or 70 442,and those are not for sale yet.
Sounds like a serious case of 'hoarding'

Originally Posted by WTony
I have heard of "purists" cutting up repro fenders to repair the brace and lower heel of their original 70 fenders just so they can have the flat ridge.
That makes perfect sense too because I haven't found anyone in the sheet metal business who reproduces that brace and heel. And it's usually that lower brace and heel area that are no good on the OEM donors as well.

....you have to watch how high you go,as the inner lip is different between 1970 and 71-72.The recessed area behind the bumper is also slightly different,but you need both styles of fenders to notice it.
That also means the inner fender liner for 1970 will have slightly different bolt locations than for 71/72 - something that will affect fitment again.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:04 PM

The bolt locations are the same.The 70 fenders has a solid,wider inner lip/rail,with the holes drilled in it for the fenderwells.The 71-72 fenders have an inner rail/lip that is cut back,with individual tabs sticking out,with the holes for the fenderwells.Probably another compliment to the crumple zones on the tops.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:55 PM

NOS Fender for 1970 Cutlas Supreme

Thanks for all the replys. I had the hood fly up as I was driving down the road which destroyed the hood, hinges, both fenders and grille. As well both doors will need a repaint to repair paint chips. I realize NOS fenders are hard to find and costly but this car has 5000 miles since a frame off restoration and I want to replace original parts with original parts. I realize replacement fenders will more than likely have the lumpy not flat rails.

Kevin
Old August 2nd, 2013, 01:08 PM

I have a hood,if you need that too.
I have the RH 70 Cutlass Supreme fender,or NOS 71-72 fenders. I will see if I have a LH 70 fender,but not likely anything I want to get rid of.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:13 PM

I have a hood,if you need that too.
I have the RH 70 Cutlass Supreme fender,or NOS 71-72 fenders. I will see if I have a LH 70 fender,but not likely anything I want to get rid of.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:15 PM

Can you send me a phone number to contact you this weekend
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:56 PM

Cutlasscj where are you located? Location may dictate where you get them from. Im on the east coast in NJ and have some parts as well. I know Brian has them he's in western Pa. But if your in Washington state, you may want to look out that way to save a big shipping bill? A hood is heavy and could be an expensive item to ship.
Just a thought.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Just clik on the 507OLDS on the left side of his post and select 'view public profile'. His phone number is listed there.