needing a chevy 69 350 engine

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2013, 06:59 AM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by billmerbach
All those engines I have seen but noons will work with me on pricing and 1971 what do you mean a turn key
the 350 i have is in a running and driving truck - turn key. it was a 300 horse 4bolt main engine. the block was bored and internals balanced. it has a speed pro roller cam and gm performance heads.
2500 for the engine or 4000for the complete 84chev truck
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:20 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I certainly did not mean to offend if that is what I did. If you really like this car, then go for it. I think you need to decide what direction you want to go and then go for it. We have all been there. You will get lots of help on here. One thing we do need is pictures of the car. Good luck with your car.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:46 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by MDchanic
My question for the rest of the board is, Can you bolt up a Buick 350 in place of a Buick 231?
If so, then finding a small block Buick may be your best way to go.
- Eric
Yep Eric, that would be the easiest way to go V8. It's basically a bolt-in. The 3.8 V6 is pretty much a 350 Buick missing 2 cylinders.

Last edited by copper128; September 23rd, 2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: correction
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:55 AM
major noob

Originally Posted by copper128
Yep Eric, that would be the easiest way to go V8. It's basically a bolt-in. The 3.8 V6 is pretty much a 350 Buick missing 2 cylinders.
So I I can find a Buick 350 I can bypass changing the motor mounts and everything
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:09 AM

Hello,

I see you mentioned that your 16. The first thing I recommend is sitting back and re-thinking your priorities. Is a v8 muscle car really what you need right now? Second off, no offense, but if you need to come here looking for a chevrolet 350, you are far from the mechanical knowledge and know-how to execute what you want to do properly and safely. Sit back, grab a book on building engines, maintaining engines, a service manual for your car, and READ READ READ.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:20 AM
major noob

Sure thing I'll be on everyday basically looking for stuff
Originally Posted by 72cuttys
Hello,

I see you mentioned that your 16. The first thing I recommend is sitting back and re-thinking your priorities. Is a v8 muscle car really what you need right now? Second off, no offense, but if you need to come here looking for a chevrolet 350, you are far from the mechanical knowledge and know-how to execute what you want to do properly and safely. Sit back, grab a book on building engines, maintaining engines, a service manual for your car, and READ READ READ.
I don't need the muscle now I need the engine so I can get the car running so I can then concentrate on my muscle and I have never messed with gm just Mopar so I'm new to the Chevy gm tthing
Old September 23rd, 2013, 07:28 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So I I can find a Buick 350 I can bypass changing the motor mounts and everything
Yes. This has only been stated three times in this thread.

- Eric
Old September 24th, 2013, 02:11 AM
major noob

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Yes. This has only been stated three times in this thread.

- Eric
Hey I don't need the attitude I'm justaking sure I'm understanding what I'm reading here
Old October 7th, 2013, 08:40 AM
major noob

Do far no luck but I'm still searching finally got to clean all the trash out of my car as well only major thing interior wise is the really rusty floor pans
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:17 AM

"As for your budget, if you're serious about making your car fast, talk to coppercutlass - he's very experienced with putting motors together with the cheapest parts he can find."
===================
I have done a bit of that as well.
I have a huge stash of used parts. Not too many ready to run [turn key] motors. I see above there's a ready to run 307 for $100 plus shipping- killer deal to get your foot in the door. I have one of those too, it was donated to me, so it's basically free to a good home. Maybe you can borrow a tiny S10 or something and just go get one of these free-ish 307's? Make and adventure out of it.

The EASIEST way to get your ride running while you save for a real engine is to drop an identical V6 in there. Shoot, maybe you can even unstick and revive what is in it now. Stranger things have happened.
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:21 AM
major noob

I've unstuck the one in there now but I want to put a v8 in it cause the guys at my work will help me with all the body and paint so I just need something running I've come to realization I don't need power now and the fact its a light weight car I don't need the 350 to get it to go fast
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Octania
... maybe you can even unstick and revive what is in it now.
This is actually a good point.

Getting a crappy motor running that you have no intention of keeping can be a great learning experience for those who are not hung up on reliability.

- Eric
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:55 AM
major noob

I would use the engine it has but the thing is I feel I will put more into since it hasn't been ran in two decades
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The fun is in getting it to run with the absolute bare minimum of expense and work.
Reuse darn near everything - just disassemble, clean, and adjust, and you may have a running engine with almost no outlay.
Worst that can happen: it blows up, but you were planning to replace it anyway.

- Eric
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:39 AM
major noob

True
Old October 8th, 2013, 08:33 AM

where is this place you live in NC? After all NC is a tad over 600mi long.
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Oldsdruid

He's between Statesville and Hickory, an hour or so north of Charlotte.

You don't necessarily have to have a 69 block. All SBC are essentially the same and all will respond to the same build and modifications. What Chevy-heads call the "010" block is probably gonna be the best as far as metallurgy and casting.

I'd stay away from the small-block 400 as it tends to run hot under best conditions, and if it's bored they get real hot quick.

V8 Buick builder engines are gonna be tougher to find than good Olds builders- Buick hasn't made a V8 since 1976.

You ever thought about a turbocharged Buick V6? I mean, after all, they did scald Corvettes... That way you don't have to change anything but beef up your trans and rear end a little.

My advice is sit back and look at what you want to do objectively- yeah, I know, hard to do at 16. But if you do that, you'll end up with a clearer view of it and end up spending less money in the long run.

Shame your high school dropped auto tech, but any more the vocational classes are the first thing the idiot school administrators cut. After all these years, they STILL haven't learned that you have to have tradespeople to keep modern life running for the people who can write a master's thesis on Shakespeare yet cannot install a simple light switch or change their car's oil.
Old October 8th, 2013, 10:54 AM
major noob

A supercharged v6 sounds fun how easily can I find one and how much power can it make in the long run
Old October 8th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by rocketraider
... any more the vocational classes are the first thing the idiot school administrators cut. After all these years, they STILL haven't learned that you have to have tradespeople to keep modern life running for the people who can write a master's thesis on Shakespeare yet cannot install a simple light switch or change their car's oil.
Don't get me started on this.

All of these ultra-educated educational theorists and administrators think that they can make every kid into an Einstein. Well, even Einstein wasn't an Einstein when he was a kid - he was a screw-up who got thrown out of school.
They may not be able to see this from the ivory tower, but every kid isn't smart enough to be an Einstein - in fact, it's a pretty good job to be able to teach some kids to read a ruler.

Kids need to learn what they can handle. They can't all learn Calculus. Some can't even learn algebra. Shops and vocational courses may be the only chance some kids have to see and learn about something that may be able to make them a good, honest living for the rest of their lives, and it's a damn shame that so many kids now don't have a chance to experience them.

- Eric
Old October 8th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

If it wasn't for vo tech and shop classes I would have dropped out. I took machining, electronics, woods classes, mechanical drawing and blue printing. And my junior senior year I took auto body vo tech classes for half a day every day. If it wasn't for that auto body program I dunno how the hell I would have ended up. I didn't become good there but I learned I loved working on cars. I was a horrible student which is why the teachers kind of swept under the rug the fact I took soooo many shop classes which we where limited to.
Old October 8th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

They knew you liked it and were good at it, saw that there was one path that led to failure and another that led to success, and pointed you down the right one.

Probably if their administrators had heard about it, they would have squashed it, because it didn't meet "standards."

- Eric
Old October 8th, 2013, 07:56 PM
major noob

Yea I want a auto class but I guess I'll teach myself
Old October 8th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Plus some of us would have our cars towed than put in a sbc, this is an Olds board. You need everything from a donor car to run a sbc. Please put tape over the Olds decals if you do this.
Old October 8th, 2013, 08:26 PM
major noob

Does that mean I should put tape over it because it has the Buick v6 in it
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Oldsdruid

Touche', M'sieur Pooseycat!

Normally I feel the same way about a non-Olds engine in an Oldsmobile, but ya gotta admit the boy has style!

Young'un, you'll do well here. Just realise that for the most part you're in hardcore Olds country and subject to a lot of ribbing if you put anything but an Olds engine in an Olds. There's one contingent on here who think a GM LS engine is the solution to everything.

Just remember that transplanting any engine other than what a car came with is going to need some fabrication and parts-chasing. Omega is Nova-based so any engine that was factory-installed in a Nova can be installed in an Omega using the right mounts and auxiliary brackets. Whatever engine you put in there, you'll need all the alternator, power steering etc brackets from that engine to make things work.

There's several Turbo Buick boards around but the hairdryer Buick may also be a little past your budget right now.
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Plus some of us would have our cars towed than put in a sbc, this is an Olds board. You need everything from a donor car to run a sbc. Please put tape over the Olds decals if you do this.
There is absolutely no reason to get into this argument. The only time I feel anyone has any say on what to put into anothers car is if they are footing the bill.

Last edited by oldcutlass; October 9th, 2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
There is absolutely no reason to get into this argument.
Especially since we're talking about what is essentially a Chebby Nova with a Buick engine in it.

In this case, all that's important is that we have a 16 year old young man who needs to get some rubber on the road - however he can do that is alright by me.

- Eric
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:24 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong guys, but aren't PLENTY of people doing 455 swaps into their 350 cutlasses,

If it were me i'd just pick up a running/driving 350 olds combo for cheap and drop it in.

But i havn't read the whole thread so it's just my 0.02$
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Correct me if i'm wrong guys, but aren't PLENTY of people doing 455 swaps into their 350 cutlasses...
You're not wrong, exactly, except that he's got an Ωmega, not a Cutlass, and it came from the factory with a Buick V-6 in it.

It's the equivalent of a late-version Nova.

- Eric
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:09 AM

Oh i didnt pick up on that, sounds more labour intensive
Old October 9th, 2013, 10:52 AM
major noob

Sorry if I get too heated I'm just looking for opinions and I want an olds engine but I can't find anyone in my area with one who would work with me on payment
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Oldsdruid

You have a PM.
Old October 9th, 2013, 05:37 PM
major noob

Originally Posted by rocketraider
You have a PM.
I contacted him I am now waiting for a response
Old October 9th, 2013, 05:51 PM
major noob

http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/16omega1977 here are some pictures I've been neglecting
Old October 9th, 2013, 05:54 PM

I would totally turn that into a sleeper ! Small block olds with a 150 shot of nitrous . Suckers wouldn't know what hit them lol. I would spend all my money on going fast lol. Fix the floors and all the stuff to keep it intact but have fun with it .
Old October 9th, 2013, 05:55 PM
major noob

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I would totally turn that into a sleeper ! Small block olds with a 150 shot of nitrous . Suckers wouldn't know what hit them lol.
Sleeper?
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:01 PM

A fast car that otherwise would be unsuspecting.
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:03 PM
major noob

That's what I want to do actually lol
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:43 PM

This is the link I was trying to send ya. Esentially you will get this engine for free all you gotta do is pay for shipping and a few parts. And when I mean running I mean running I got a spare alt. brakcets pulleys, headers etc.

Last edited by coppercutlass; October 9th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:57 PM
major noob

Wow that's a peppy lil engine

Quick Reply: needing a chevy 69 350 engine