Need windshield for 71 Cutlass S 2 door HT

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2019, 07:03 AM

Need windshield for 71 Cutlass S 2 door HT

If anyone has one in the DC metro area let me know. I need one ASAP. Or within 250 miles of the DC area I can drive to you. Thanks,

John
Old November 25th, 2019, 09:14 AM

These are cheap and usually available next day at any glass shop
Old November 25th, 2019, 09:32 AM
72 Cutlass Ponca City OK

Just go to your local Safelite, and they will get you one. The rear windows are what takes time.
Old November 25th, 2019, 10:59 AM

front glass

The glass people relate that PPG is the better choice.
Old November 25th, 2019, 11:50 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Date coded tinted and non-tinted glass is available through the restoration market as well, if dates are important to you. The aftermarket vendors cater to the date crazy and not so crazy.

Pilkington and Auto Metal Direct are a few. Summit and OPGI as well. Never thought of Safelite as I wouldn't want some of those techs near my Olds. It's hit and miss with their technicians, though mostly hit and when they screwed up they made it right...on my F250...but I wouldn't want to play that game with the Olds.

The trick is to find a good shop that will install it without damage to the car. Have it shipped directly there.

Now is the time to repaint the steel dash and inspect the channel for rust!

Remember this glass is dimensionally the same within the same GM A body styles...Chevelle, GTO, GS so the aftermarket is strong.

See the link for specifics:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...rences-139882/
Old November 25th, 2019, 03:39 PM

PM sent
Old November 25th, 2019, 03:46 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Never thought of Safelite as I wouldn't want some of those techs near my Olds. It's hit and miss with their technicians, though mostly hit and when they screwed up they made it right...on my F250...but I wouldn't want to play that game with the Olds.
I'll never call Safelite. Interesting you noted your F-250. I had them replace the windshield on my F-250. Sloppy shoddy job. Never again with them.
Old November 26th, 2019, 07:19 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Ya round one windshield cracked from a stone. They overlapped the outer seal ***-backward so the wind force would get under it at freeway speeds and created a kazoo sound and there was black butyl smeared on both A-pillars on the gray interior. At this point, this is a 2 year old 250, not a farm truck.

Round two a year later (I swear these 250s are a rock magnet) they managed to break the plastic 2 piece tray under the wipers so it flopped around at speed on both sides AND they ripped the roof rail seal that runs up the A-pillar above both doors.

Ya, they replaced all 3 parts with new FOMOCO parts but really. A windshield is a safety item and these monkeys are this sloppy. Poor employee training and selection.

Soooo yaaaa on second thought don't let them near a classic.
Old November 27th, 2019, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Date coded tinted and non-tinted glass is available through the restoration market as well, if dates are important to you. The aftermarket vendors cater to the date crazy and not so crazy.

Pilkington and Auto Metal Direct are a few. Summit and OPGI as well. Never thought of Safelite as I wouldn't want some of those techs near my Olds. It's hit and miss with their technicians, though mostly hit and when they screwed up they made it right...on my F250...but I wouldn't want to play that game with the Olds.

The trick is to find a good shop that will install it without damage to the car. Have it shipped directly there.

Now is the time to repaint the steel dash and inspect the channel for rust!

Remember this glass is dimensionally the same within the same GM A body styles...Chevelle, GTO, GS so the aftermarket is strong.

See the link for specifics:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...rences-139882/
Don't even get me started on Safelite. They messed up two of my daily drivers oin one day. Glass left on the carpet, seat, didn't put back the plugs on the wiper arms, wiper arms clocked wrong and made a mess on my int a panel trim. He said "you didn't have plugs on the wiper arms, walked back to his box and said,,,,,,,,,THESE?? they were laying right there.