Need headliner rods for Vista Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2011, 01:27 PM

Cool Need headliner rods for Vista Cruiser

just a shot in dark,,,,but I need the metal boarder pieces that hold up the headliner in the Vista Cruiser. I can buy the headliner from Original Parts Group,,but I cxan't install it without the metal strips that the headliner fabric adheres to,,,,the only place to get those pieces is from another Vista Cruiser,,,,anyone have them???

Last edited by drcutlass; November 27th, 2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old November 27th, 2011, 01:46 PM

I moved this for you creating a new parts wanted thread. I think you'll get better coverage this way. But I need a little more information. What year of Vista Cruiser are you working on? You said the metal pieces that hold the headliner up, so I'm guessing that's the rods that run from side to side and thread through the headliner, is that right? I can help edit the title if I got it wrong. John
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Olds Collector

Headliner Rods for a Vista Cruiser

Hello: I have the headliner rods from a 1971 Vista cruiser. In fact, I recall the whole headliner to be in good shape and quite useable. The headliner is black. I am in Los Angeles area.
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:33 PM

First of all,, I wanna thank 2blu442 for moving my post to where it will do the most good,,second,,I'll attempt to describe the parts I need,,

I'm finishing the restoration on my 1970 Vista Cruiser....the one you'll read about if you look into threads I've posted,,,,

What I need,,,are the thin metal strips that screw to the inside of the ceiling,,,all along the very edges where the fabric of the headliner material attaches,,,,by way of small "can opener" type "hooks"....Then you install the vinyl interior colored trim molding over it. Thanks again........

Last edited by drcutlass; November 29th, 2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:52 PM

i have a 70 Vista body that i can pull all these from. do you need all of them? it may take a week till i can get them pulled. i can include the big headed screws also if you need them. if you cover a little for my time of pulling them and shipping is good with me. do you know where all of them go or do you need me to number them with a location? it would be like a puzzle trying to figure out where they go.

this is a perfect example of why i don't want to scrap another part or car. i almost scrapped what is left of this body and decided not to. these parts would have been lost forever. not that they are worth a fortune but when someone needs an oldsmobile part and i just scrapped that part it bothers me.
Old November 29th, 2011, 06:07 PM

Sure,,it would be cool of you to take the time to remove them for me,,,and marking them as to location is a good idea..and if you can get the screws out without having to drill them out,,in case they're rusted,,I could use those too..not sure how much to offer,,,maybe we can come up with something we'll both be happy with...

I could also use the rear wheel well trim moldings if you have them,,,and the longer straight piece of body side molding for the front fender,,,runs from the headlight to the curved piece that goes up and over the wheel well,,,,and the rubber components in the rear where you open the tailgate like a door,,between the rear bumper and the floor in the step area,,,,,,
Old November 29th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Olds Collector

Headliner Rods for a Vista cruiser

Sounds like you guys are on the right track to help out with the parts and are not so far away from each other. Good luck.
Old November 29th, 2011, 06:57 PM

i know i don't have the rubber part for the tailgate. i think i have everything else. do you need both sides for the trim? i will have to see what condition the wheel opening trim is in. the rear wheel opening trim is the same as the standard Cutlass isn't it?

i think the headliner pieces and screws will be nice. this was an Arizona car and most stuff so far has come apart easy. i started parting this car many years ago and looking back i wish i hadn't.
Old November 29th, 2011, 07:46 PM

drcutlass
If you purchase the parts from Eric I won't bother correcting the title to the thread. If for some reason you don't work out a deal I'll change it to reflect the parts your looking for. John
Old November 30th, 2011, 01:10 PM

Sounds great. I'm hoping the rear wheel well moldings are in good shape and I'm pretty sure they're the same as the Cutlass.. As far as the fender molding is concerned,,,,that depends on my ambition to attach them correctly...each fender body side molding consists of three pieces,,,I have all but the one I described,,and the fenders are,,(were),,NOS. When I built the car, I couldn't bare to drill holes in them for the moldings,,sounds stupid now that I think about it...
Now the time has come to get the Vista Cruiser fender scripts,,(I forgot to mention that I need those too!!) and if possible,,the complete set of fender moldings (as long as they came with the factory clips and screws,,and don't cost too much) and instal them properly,,(I'm holding them on with silicone adhesive),,
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:42 PM

i took a couple pictures tonight. they look like they are all in good shape. from what i see right now they will be self explanatory where they go. i will likely number them anyway. i have to look for the other trim. i did have the emblems but they are not nice. i think fusick makes them now. i will try to find the trim tomorrow. i am working overtime again so it will be a couple days till i have them off the car.

100_5272.jpg?t=1322694547

100_5275.jpg?t=1322694791
Old December 1st, 2011, 10:49 AM

It's okay however long it takes, it's already been about 17 years since I began this project......lol,,( I hate using computer slang)..If the fender body side moldings are missing the clips and screws,,I guess don't worry about them. The only reason I would replace the ones I have is for the attaching hardware.,,and to locate exactly where to drill the necessary holes in my NOS fenders. Now I just have to know why you started parting out an Arizona ( assuming it was rust free) 1970 Vista Cruiser in the first place,,I mean,, that I'm very curious as to exactly how much if that car is actually left. Me....I think it would still be worth the trouble (providing the body is in fact "rust free"),,to take what's left and rebuild the whole car.

I can buy reproduction Vista Cruiser fender scripts from Original Parts Group for...$113.95..that's for both fenders..My car is certainly worth it,,every emblem and piece of pot metal on the entire car,,I've had re-chromed. But that was back years ago when I actually had money to invest...I'm not exactly a rich man these days,,but that doesn't mean I'm willing to compromise quality.

Which brings me to the outcome of this correspondence.....I'd like the headliner pieces,,and the rear wheel well trim moldings,,,and at least the one piece of fender trim molding,,(unless you have the complete set with the attaching hardware).....
Old December 1st, 2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by drcutlass
Now I just have to know why you started parting out an Arizona ( assuming it was rust free) 1970 Vista Cruiser in the first place,,I mean,, that I'm very curious as to exactly how much if that car is actually left. .....
lol, you don't want to know. i got this car about 3 years before i got a computer and got on the net. i got the car because i wanted the rust free front 70 only fenders. a local guy just moved here from Arizona and had this car shipped here when he moved. the interior was completely shot from the heat and sun. the body was very nice but did have a very small amount of rust that wasn't anything serious. the rust was by the tank. i had pulled the front off and all the A/C out and didn't think the rest was worth much of anything. after i found the net i also found out that people were restoring these cars. i listed what was left several times and nothing came out of it. i then had a guy here want the dogleg sections cut from it and shipped to NY. i wanted to sell the entire thing to him but ended up cutting it up. there is almost nothing left of it now. it does have a great cowl, dash, fire wall left. as much as i am into anything Oldsmobile now it hurts to even think about what i did.

i will see if i can find the other parts tomorrow night. how does $25 and shipping sound for these? there is some pitting in some areas but nothing that will make them unusable. i started to glass bead blast them but my glass is all broke down and not working very well.
100_5280.jpg?t=1322777093
Old December 2nd, 2011, 11:49 AM

The parts look very good,,and $25.00 is a nice fair price,,thanks for preparing them for me. It's gonna make all the difference in the world to my interior...if you'd like,I think you should have my email address,,so I can give you my address here in Appleton,,without the whole world knowing where I live...lol..Also,,you can let me know where to send the payment,,,I'll probably use a money order,or a personal check, just wait for it to clear and then send the parts..

Can't wait to see the rear wheel well moldings as well,,,,and let me know where we're at concerning the fender body side moldings too...

You can reach me at drcutlass@gmail.com