Need Black Glove Box door for 72 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2010, 09:06 AM

Need Black Glove Box door for 72 Cutlass

Tired of messing with this broken lock and can't seem to figure out how to replace it so just gonna look for the door/lock and all. If anybody has any hints on how to replace/repair/remove a broken lock, pls pass them on. Don't know why something that should be so simple is so dang complicated .
Old January 30th, 2010, 09:24 AM

I have one... just have to locate the key for it....

I took one out of my Cutlass, and it was just a large nut if I recall... I'll go look and repost...

John
Old January 30th, 2010, 10:22 AM

HEre is the trick to getting the lock cyl out.
After it is out, there is a nut behind it that removes the cyl. case.

You insert a small screwdriver or paperclip in that hole, inset the key, and pull out the cyl.

Not sure if this will work on a broke lock, but it worth a try if you did not know about the release hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0655.jpg (46.9 KB, 18 views)
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:47 AM

Thanks Rob...that worked (after some trial and error and a few cuss words). So, now I have the cylinder out with **** apparently permanently attached. Guess I'll have to replace that entire unit cause I don't see how the **** separates. Are those available aftermarket?

John - interested in selling just the lock itself?
Old January 30th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by scott_442
I don't see how the **** separates.
The **** separates by breaking off. Don't ask how I found that out...

Repros are available, but the **** is not factory looking from what I have heard. If you want factory, used would be the way to go.

I busted mine by trying to get it off before getting the manual. It was more of a crimped egde that gave. However, JB weld glued it back on and has not broke again.
So it might be possible to exchange *****.
Old January 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by scott_442
Thanks Rob...that worked (after some trial and error and a few cuss words). So, now I have the cylinder out with **** apparently permanently attached. Guess I'll have to replace that entire unit cause I don't see how the **** separates. Are those available aftermarket?

John - interested in selling just the lock itself?
Scott, have u thought about just taking the lock down to a locksmith and having it replaced, OR the other option would be to have a new key made for the lock itself. It won't match the key for trunk but it will be functional.

I have to get a new key made for my trunk lock. I had the deck on my 98 replaced in 2005 becuz of rust. Only found out about 2 months ago that they didn't replace the original lock into the replacement trunk. Morons! For now the only way into the trunk is the solenoid release. I can appreciate how it feels to have a lock the key doesn't work in.
Old January 30th, 2010, 06:18 PM

I cannot find the key for it either. Long gone with the rest of the body parts I sold a long while back. The door is black and it is unlocked. I can't fit my other 72 keys in it either... not sure why this is....

Anyway... you have options.

John
Old January 30th, 2010, 06:53 PM

Gflove box door

I' thought I might be able to help until I read the whole message. I think I have a black one from a 1970 Cutlass and I don't know if that is the same.
But the reason I have it is cause I had a lock problem with mine some years ago, and found the black one in a junk yard and took the lock out of it for mine. Its been a few years and I remember it was a real pain replacing it but got it done. I may have the door, but no lock.