ISO 1970-72 Cutlass AC/Dash Vents

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2015, 05:07 PM

ISO 1970-72 Cutlass AC/Dash Vents

Got the vents....Thanks!

I'm finally getting my AC put in the Olds. I thought I had a pair of the AC vents for the dash but for the life of me I can't find the stinkin' things..Does any one have a pair for sale that are in decent shape? I have the ones for the lower part under the dash and the center. It's just the side ones.

Please let me know. Shipping would be to Bingham Farms, MI 48025 just outside Detroit.

Thanks for the help!

Joe

Last edited by cutlassjoe; May 8th, 2015 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Got the items I needed. Post no longer active
Old May 1st, 2015, 07:00 PM

Joe,
I'll check but probably do have some decent ones. I'll try to get pix this weekend maybe if no one else steps up before me.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:24 PM

Joe, I would like to back up Oldspackrat.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 05:36 AM

Thanks Olds Packrat. We've done business before and you always have good stuff. AzChevs thank you very much too. Any tips on removing a dash pad on a 72'? Mine is pea green. The colors are the 70' dark green now. I want to pull the dash pad and dye it dark green to match the rest of the interior...this is turning into a bigger job than it already was...

Thanks Guys.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 06:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Disconnect the front wiring from the fuseblock and remove it with the dash. The dash is held with 9/32 nuts on threaded studs embedded in the dash pad. Great pic of the locations in the Assembly Manual. The only stud that doesn't have a bolt is the top left one. It's held by a friction clip so you just tug on that one to come out. Take your time, it's a beeatch of a job. If you get stuck I have a dash pad in the shed I can take pics of the stud locations for you. Start on the right side, it's easier. You will have to remove some of the under dash venting and glovebox to make room to work.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:40 AM

Thanks Allan. I have a chasis manual but I don't know if it would be in there. I'll be playing in the garage today so I will take a look. All of that stuff is out now because of the AC work so it should be a bit easier.

Thanks for the help!

joe
Old May 3rd, 2015, 09:28 AM

Allan,
Just a slight correction, the dash nuts are 11/32".

Joe,
I start on the pass. side & loosen the glove box & pull the pass. side AC duct. The fabric duct has a plastic female part that slides over 2 clips on the back of the vent. I like to use 1/4" ratchet with different length extensions. Sometimes, if you gently press forward on the dash pad, the nuts are barely finger tight & they will spin right off with your hand.
Like Allan said, you'll want to remove the ductwork under the dash, the speedo & other gauges & drop the column. Some guys like to remove the front seat/s & console also to make things easier. Be prepared to spend quite a lot of time removing the dash & maybe have a blood donor ready. The nut that is just to the right of the column is a patience tester.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 09:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassjoe
Thanks Allan. I have a chasis manual but I don't know if it would be in there.
It's not in the CSM Joe. AM only. Not even the Fisher Body Manual has that detail.

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Allan,
Just a slight correction, the dash nuts are 11/32"............. The nut that is just to the right of the column is a patience tester.
Okee dokee, 11/32" works. I could have sworn they were otherwise, but you've taken more of these apart than I have.

That nut to the right of the column IS a real BEATCH. I found when I was trying to get it out that the metal subframe got in the way. Made me wonder how the heck they got it in there in the first place. It got a lot of curse words I can tell you that. Trying to stay concentrated on something that tedious is a struggle.
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Joe,
I'll check but probably do have some decent ones. I'll try to get pix this weekend maybe if no one else steps up before me.

Any luck on finding the AC vents for my car yet?
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Joe, I have some of the vents you're looking for. Don't want to step on anyone waiting ahead of me. PM if interested or want some pics.
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:26 AM

Joe,
I thought I sent pictures already?? I'll try again.
Scott