I am searching: Brake Distribution Block (Oldsmobile Jetstar 88, build 1965)

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2022, 09:42 AM

I am searching: Brake Distribution Block (Oldsmobile Jetstar 88, build 1965)

My car is a 1965 Oldsmobile Jetstar 88. And I got a Problem with my Brake, front right side.

We have already replaced (on both sides) the brake hose, brake cylinder, brake shoes, brake drum and master brake cylinder. Nothing improved at all.

We suspect the Brake Distribution Block is the problem. Maybe something is clogged. Or the lines are incorrectly connected or swapped over.

Is there anybody, who know where I can buy this part?

best wishes from cloudy germany

Old February 1st, 2022, 02:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

The brake distribution block is NOT the problem There is nothing inside of it. It simply connects those four lines together. If you really suspect there is something plugging it, disconnect the lines and blow through the block with compressed air. It's just a block of brass with four holes drilled in it.
Old February 1st, 2022, 02:20 PM
Running On Empty

Surely if you replaced the brake hoses you bled the lines. I'd have to ask: Was their brake fluid emanating from the brake line when you bled the right front brake?
Old February 2nd, 2022, 02:56 AM

thank's for the Tipps. I just spoke to my mechanic. He said: He had vented several times. If there was air in it, it came out powerfully. If he then opened the bleeder nipple again afterwards, the brake fluid also came out powerfully. This suggests that there might not be a problem in the lines after all.

Nevertheless, the car pulls strongly to the left when braking.

The braking values ​​from the test bench are: 200 Newtons at the front right and 800 (!) Newtons at the front left.

could it be that the problem is not too little braking power on the right but too much braking power on the front left???
Old February 2nd, 2022, 09:07 AM

answer for Vintage Chief: yes, the lines have been bled. And yes: liquid came out.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 02:20 PM
Running On Empty

When the vehicle is moving down the road at ~80 kph does the vehicle consistently steer in a straight line with no brakes applied?
Is the steering wheel aligned in the center?

I am sorry, but I don't know how/where you are performing the bench test. Whatever/However/Wherever you're obtaining those numbers, it stands to reason if the left side has greater pressure (800 Newtons = 180 pounds force) than the right side (200 Newtons = 50 pounds force), the left side is four times stronger than the right side yielding a serious pull to the left.

It's going to be one of two things: (1) Either the left side is applying far too much force (compared to the right side); or, the right side is not applying enough force to be equal to the left side. I think the majority of factors which can influence brake force are not hydraulic — but instead mechanical. I would review the installation and functioning of each mechanical part you replaced - brake cylinders, brake shoes, brake drums.