Door Latch needed

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2016, 06:03 PM

Door Latch needed

I'm looking for a new, or slightly used, driver door latch mechanism for a 1993 Cutlass Convertible. The one I have works but is worn and as long as I have the door apart I'd like to replace it.
If used is not available, can it be purchased through an auto parts store?
Thanks
Old January 28th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Olds Wagonmaster

You're more likely to find one on ebay or at a salvage yard. I'm in the market for one myself.

Auto parts store will almost definitely NOT have one. Good luck
Old January 28th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Vfilms
The one I have works but is worn and as long as I have the door apart I'd like to replace it.
What makes you think the latch is worn? I have several W-Body vehicles and find that most of the time the rod connecting the handle to the actual latch is out of adjustment and there was nothing wrong with the latch...
Old January 28th, 2016, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
What makes you think the latch is worn? I have several W-Body vehicles and find that most of the time the rod connecting the handle to the actual latch is out of adjustment and there was nothing wrong with the latch...
Thanks. The lever that the rod connects to was hammered, yes hammered, down out of position so it jammed and would not move when moving the locking rod. I was able to bend it back into position and the latch now works. However, a couple of the springs are weak and the latch is quite rusty. It is usable but I'd like to replace it as long as the door is apart. The part is no longer available through any GM outlet. Just wondering if anyone has one. Thanks for the reply
Old January 28th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Olds Fever

I may have a spare latch... I will try to check this weekend... Where are you located? You can contact me direct for any additional info at: DIEHARDOLDS@NYCAP.RR.COM