Bulb Holder

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Car Whisperer

Bulb Holder

Need the bulb holder for the turn signal indicator in the gauge cluster. it's white and apparently holds a 194 bulb that lights to indicate the turn signal is on. don't imagine they are side specific, but if so, need the right one. thanx.
Old January 12th, 2016, 02:56 PM

I have been collecting sockets for a while now for all the gauges that I restore and there are at least two different styles of those sockets. Could you get a picture of the front and the back of it to make sure we get you the right one? If so I probably have one for you.
Old January 13th, 2016, 04:29 AM

Bulb Holder

I also have many bulb holders. Where in Florida are you? I'm just North of Ft. Lauderdale. Thanks, Bob.
Old January 26th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Car Whisperer

wow, never got any e-mail notification of you guys's answers!! Thanx for answering!!! I have gotten some aftermarket ones that don't fit. this one I have is white. I will take the one out and take a picture of it. I bought one bag of 25, didn't fit and the NAPA ones don't fit either. it is a 1/2" socket for the 194 bulb but the ones I got don't screw in at all. I am wondering if the missing bulb, not only doesn't allow the turn signal indicator to work, but also the side that doesn't have the bulb in...when you turn that turn signal on, and you have the brake pedal depressed, as soon as you have both on at the same time, it knocks off the brake lights. I figure that the circuit isn't complete without the bulb holder in there.
Old January 27th, 2016, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeBit
I am wondering if the missing bulb, not only doesn't allow the turn signal indicator to work, but also the side that doesn't have the bulb in...when you turn that turn signal on, and you have the brake pedal depressed, as soon as you have both on at the same time, it knocks off the brake lights. I figure that the circuit isn't complete without the bulb holder in there.
It should not effect BOTH brake lights. The turn signal switch and flasher interrupt the brake light circuit on one side only. Make sure that your brake lights both work with the turn signals off.
Old January 27th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Car Whisperer

The brake lights work fine on both sides with the turn signal off. when the turn signal that has the blinker indicator installed....the other side, when the blinker is off, knocks off the brake lights. I switched it back and forth with the one blinker light socket i have and it does it each time. the side with the blinker in, the brake light on the other side stays on. the turn signal that is on without the blinker installed, then it knocks out the brake light on the other side.

Last edited by SnakeBit; February 2nd, 2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old January 27th, 2016, 10:12 AM

Question

Originally Posted by SnakeBit
The break lights work fine on both sides with the turn signal off. when the turn signal that has the blinker indicator installed....the other side, when the blinker is off, knocks off the brake lights. I switched it back and forth with the one blinker light socket i have and it does it each time. the side with the blinker in, the brake light on the other side stays on. the turn signal that is on without the blinker installed, then it knocks out the brake light on the other side.
I don't quite understand what you just tried to explain there. Where are you located in Florida? My shop is near Ft. Lauderdale.
Old January 27th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Car Whisperer

sorry, will try to explain again...also, I am in the Tampa Bay area.

ok, for example, if I have the blinker socket in the dash plugged in for the right blinker and the brake lights are on, then turn the right turn signal on, then the brake light on the left side stays on. if you turn the left turn signal on, then the turn signal works, but the brake light on the right side goes out. If I switch the dash blinker socket to the left side, the opposite happens. then with the brakes on, turn the left turn signal on, then the brakes stay on, turn the right turn signal on, then the brakes go out. so whichever side I have the blinker socket in for the dash blinker light, the opposite side turn signal turns the brake light off. hope that is a better explanation.
Old January 29th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Car Whisperer

here are pics of the one I need. the black one is what stores keep giving me that doesn't fit. thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1763.JPG (1.45 MB, 16 views)
IMG_1764.JPG (1.69 MB, 11 views)
IMG_1765.JPG (1.58 MB, 16 views)
IMG_1766.JPG (1.50 MB, 12 views)
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Have you tried swapping the left with the right?
Old January 29th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Car Whisperer

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Have you tried swapping the left with the right?
I only have one holder and yes, I have switched them and the same thing happens on each side according to which one has the blinker light installed.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 03:36 PM
Car Whisperer

may have found them on e-bay. haven't heard from anyone here that apparently has them, so will let you know.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 05:52 PM

Make a phone call to the feller in post #2 perhaps? Cut thru the red tape.

This is one of them parts I would take a nice used original over a new store/China part any day. Fit right, work right.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 07:30 PM

I have a dash board I pulled from a '66 98 & there is a total of 1 socket that looks just like the one you are looking for. The others are all different than yours. Send me your address & I'll put it in the mail no charge.
Scott