air cleaner 72 ram air needed

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2011, 06:00 PM

air cleaner 72 ram air needed

im looking for the aircleaner assembly for a 72 cutlass with a ramair hood.
if you have please drop me a line
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by bones
im looking for the aircleaner assembly for a 72 cutlass with a ramair hood.
if you have please drop me a line
OEM parts will cost a pretty penny for OAI parts. You can get a complete assembly that you're looking for from Thornton Automotive. They specialize in OAI and other GM licensed repro parts. Their 1970 frameoff restoration of a 442 at BJ 2 weeks ago sold for an amazing 150,000.00. They do good work and have good parts.

here's the link to their site: http://gawain.membrane.com/~thornton/index.html
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:51 PM

thanks for the info. i also just found the fusick site. i didnt no they were so much. thought id see if someone on here had one. i figured someone would be making cheap repos.
nice to see some other canucks on here
Old April 18th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by bones
thanks for the info. i also just found the fusick site. i didnt no they were so much. thought id see if someone on here had one. i figured someone would be making cheap repos.
nice to see some other canucks on here
Glad to help out. Where are you located? There are actually quite a few of us on this site. You'll get to know them over time.

re: prices. The repro parts for OAI are VERY expensive no matter where you go. Actually, Fusicks has one of the best track records for price and service in the aftermarket vintage Olds industry. It still pays to shop from vendor to vendor, but by and large Fusick meets or beats them for 90% of the time.

OEM or NOS parts (if you can find them) for OAI make the aftermarket parts look like bargains. Check the link I sent you for Thorntons. 4 years ago you could buy their OAI hood through Fusicks for 1250.00 Now it's 2450 + you still need all the other parts to make it work right. End of the day by the time it's shipped, installed, painted and doin good stuff for your car you're looking at around 4000.00 + . And that's just for a hood/breathing assembly!

Restoring a car has it's $$ issues, so you really need to have a realistic plan for what you're undertaking and how much you can really afford. I'm retired now so $$ are less than they used to be. But even when I was making good coin at work it was important to budget for my moneypit projects.
FYI, you can get OAI hoods for around 595.00 that are all fibreglass and have functional airboxes. They may have their flaws, but they are definitely more affordable than OEM or Thornton new.
Good luck with your project.
Old April 19th, 2011, 03:40 AM

thanks for the great info. i have the hood just not the correct air breather kit. just thought id try an ad here in the parts needed category to see if anyone had a spare.
im in hamilton ont.
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:31 PM

Have a nice used original top assembly - if you're interested check out the "Bargain Basement" section of our website.
Old April 19th, 2011, 04:52 PM

not sure if it matters but i have the 350 motor. i see parts place inc. has it on for 399. thanks for the offer im going to look around a bit before i choose where to buy from. ill definately keep it in mind.
Old April 20th, 2011, 08:11 PM

72 air cleaner top ram air

You have a PM.
Old April 21st, 2011, 04:53 AM

The OAI assemblies are the same for 350 & 455.The difference is the foam seal.The ones for the 350 are taller because the engine sits lower.The lower base is also unique,with 2 PCV holes with rolled rings,and 5 1/4" drain holes along the inside.There are repop bases as well,but there are subtle differences to tell them apart,like the way they are spot-welded.It depends on how picky you want to get.The real ones bring as much or more than the repops,depending on the condition.