AC Cruise Master

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2021, 05:07 AM

AC Cruise Master

ISO cruise control transducer.
this particular one has a right angle cable in/out.
Been monitoring eBay for months waiting for one to pop up.
Old April 25th, 2021, 06:18 AM

AC Cruise Master

What year? Got any pics? I have numerous cruise control parts if I know exactly what you're looking for. You can email me: drolds1@bellsouth.net. Thanks, Bob.
Old April 25th, 2021, 06:29 AM
Randy C.

Year and body type? Two wire or three wire? If it's one like I've pictured below, good luck in finding it and, if you do, the price will be in the clouds. My right angle cable in/out 2-wire transducer is for a '69 Olds A-body and it's a one-year-only unit so they're hard to find and difficult to get restored. However, it can be replaced with a different two-wire transducer (also pictured below) where the in/out cables are parallel, using the same bracket. I had to do it for awhile until I could get my original transducer restored.

Randy C.

Old April 25th, 2021, 06:58 AM

This is a 69 442 with a non resume 2 wire.
Old April 25th, 2021, 10:53 AM
Randy C.

Then it is like the top picture. Do you still have your original transducer? If so, does the speedometer still work when you have everything connected? If the speedometer still works with everything connected, chances are the problem is a solenoid within the transducer, or even just an adjustment or clearing of the primary vacuum port. I'd check with Bob (Rocketman269V) to see if he can look at your original, if you still have it, to see if he can fix it. The person that repaired my '69 transducer, and showed me where to go on-line for a GM Cruise Control Systems manual, is a man named Richard Thayer of CruiseMaster's in Minneapolis, MN, phone 763-585-4547 (he's also known on ebay as ricaraudio2011). If all else fails, the newer style 2-wire transducer (bottom picture) will work with a little re-routing of the cable that comes from the transmission to the transducer - it's a stretch but there is just enough length in that cable for it to work.

Randy C.
Old April 25th, 2021, 12:56 PM

I don't have the original.
The last owner had a unit from a Dodge or something in there, basic sensor draw cable to carb.
Yes the cables are intact, and I got a partial unit that bypasses the controller making the speedo work.
Preferably Id like to get and overhaul the original 90 degree unit.
Old April 25th, 2021, 01:59 PM
Randy C.

The originals are scarce (one year only usage), and possibly just not available anymore. I hope you get lucky and find one. In the end, however, you might have to settle for the replacement model (bottom picture) which is still a GM product, somewhat plentiful (look on ebay) and what Oldsmobile used to replace the original defective transducers (they didn't repair them, they just replaced them and junked the originals). I might add that my factory cruise control didn't work from the day I bought the car (February 1987) until 11 months ago. I couldn't find anyone that was really interested in working on the original cruise control set-ups until I got into it myself, trouble shot all the electrical and vacuum functions (also had a bad electric brake switch) and then found the man in Minneapolis for the transducer. I was fortunate with the original transducer that (1) the speedo function still worked on my car (can't be fixed now, he says) and that the only thing wrong was a bad solenoid (he said I got the last one of that solenoid he had). I've "exercised" each transducer on my '69 and they both work well.

Randy C.

Last edited by rcorrigan5; April 25th, 2021 at 02:01 PM. Reason: eliminate a word
Old April 26th, 2021, 03:38 AM

I agree its a long shot.
I ended up with a partial unit acting off a partial controller that enables my speedometer for now.
If this was a common failed part, probably going to take your advice.
I've been scouring ebay for months now watching the new listings.
Fingers crossed, thanks for the help.
Old December 9th, 2022, 10:14 AM

Revisiting this now that the list is getting shorter.
If anybody has a car with the correct cruise control parts for a 69 please share a picture.
Trying to piece this together from scratch and everything was taken off the engine.
Old December 9th, 2022, 12:36 PM
Randy C.

Hi Rick,
Here's a couple more shots of my set-up, along with the pics provided previously. I was very lucky to get my original transducer fixed by a man in Minneapolis who advertises on ebay. Good luck in finding all the parts. Do you have the switch in the dash and the wire harness that goes with it? If not, that may also be a hard find.

Randy C.

Old December 9th, 2022, 12:49 PM

I have the switch in the directional and the proper brake switch
Reading that the original 90 degree in/out transducers were very unreliable and GM was replacing them with the dual in/out on the back side.
Talked with the fellow on ebay too, he made me the jumper gear box to get an operable speedometer in the meanwhile.
Got a couple inquiries out to Olds part yards too hoping to find the parts even one at a time.
Fingers crossed
I see that diaphram is a little different and smaller, saw this on ebay but its for a Buick.
With the right brackets there might be enough there to make it work.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266010375940
Old December 9th, 2022, 05:29 PM
Randy C.

The switch I was referring to is the electrical on-off switch in the dash, which is mounted between the wiper switch and the steering column. The dark space above the word "cruise" is a light that glows red when the switch is activated. It energizes the system electrically so that when you press the button in the turn signal lever the electrical portion of the transducer will set the vacuum to hold your desired speed. This gives you two options to release the cruise control - use the brake pedal for the switch mounted there to release the vacuum or turn off the electrical at the dash. I was just wondering if your switch in the dash was still there. It will be interesting to see if you can make the Buick diaphram work - I believe it's definitely possible.

Randy C.

Old December 9th, 2022, 07:22 PM

The cruise systems will work without that switch in the dash if needed.