83 Cutlass radio trim

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2022, 06:42 PM

83 Cutlass radio trim

I’m looking for the wood-grain climate control/radio trim piece for my ‘83 Hurst/Olds. Let me know what you have. Thanks!
Old January 10th, 2022, 07:17 PM

A little pricey, but it's new/NOS.

1979-1981 NOS OEM Cutlass Supreme 442 Dash Lower Tray GM trim 562066 Oldsmobile | eBay
Old January 11th, 2022, 04:33 AM

Yes indeed, this is a really nice piece. If you buy it though, be extremely careful when you remove it from the package, I've had the silvering come off on the plastic wrap when I was too aggressive in trying to remove them.

I have a few of these NOS or close to NOS if you are interested. Some with clips some without.
Old January 11th, 2022, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
Yes indeed, this is a really nice piece. If you buy it though, be extremely careful when you remove it from the package, I've had the silvering come off on the plastic wrap when I was too aggressive in trying to remove them.

I have a few of these NOS or close to NOS if you are interested. Some with clips some without.
Thanks gang. I don’t need a pristine piece, but a I am looking for a nice one. BlueCalais79, let me know what you have! Thanks!
Old January 11th, 2022, 05:22 AM

Will do, I will search the archives in the next few days, and one thing I will say is I will want ALOT less than the E-bay piece. Will send you a P.M. when located.
Old January 11th, 2022, 05:25 AM

Great! If you have a radio by chance also, I’d be interested. Deciding whether or
not to put in a stock radio or one of the retro sound ones…
Old January 11th, 2022, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by stampsicle
Great! If you have a radio by chance also, I’d be interested. Deciding whether or
not to put in a stock radio or one of the retro sound ones…
My suggestion- Yes and yes. The factory radio system sucks azz by today's standards. So anything you can bolt in and improve the sound and unbolt later if you wish to go back to stock is a huge plus. You have options

Not 100% sure if the double DIN radios with an 84/85 faceplate would fit in its place. Not sure how the dash is setup on the 83 and earlier to accept taller radios. Maybe someone has tried it to verify one way or another? That could gain you some room for a bigger aftermarket radio should you decide that route.

But I would get a stock radio (with all the *****) and faceplate anyway and put it away if feasible, just so you can put it back to stock if that's an option for you to do down the road. You can always sell it later if you find you'll never need it. The good G-body parts are drying up and getting harder and harder to find (read $$$).
Old January 11th, 2022, 06:56 AM

Good advice, thanks. I have used one of these in the past with good results. It lets you use the stock radio but also connect via Bluetooth for music and hands free. Then just throw it in the glove box at the car show.
Old January 11th, 2022, 07:06 AM

69HO43 is right on all accounts above. Man, these factory radios are problematic. I myself am committed to keeping the 100% factory look so I continue to get them either repaired or replaced when they croak. Which is far more often than I'd like. I currently have the Delco AM/FM Stereo Cassette unit in all 3 of my 79's. However, in my 79 H/O I am probably going to put in "The King of All Radios" back then, the infamous AM/FM Stereo/8 Track CB. I've got a really nice one (that needs to be sent out for repair) and the power antenna in the H/O has the grey CB coil bubble. This way I can justify to my wife not selling all my 8 tracks. She'll want 'em gone if they are of no use.

Now this time, I went all out for a completely rebuilt AM/FM Stereo/Cassette unit, I just spent nearly $400 on it. I'm hoping this will be an end all and will be the last one I install in my 79 Blue Calais for some time. Wishful thinking? Probably.

I can muster up one for sale for you if you want one, no guarantees on the function but I will supply you with the name of a repair service which is a must if one is going to use these radios. Also, mine are cosmetically nice, no dingy, peeling push buttons or worn out lettering.
Old January 11th, 2022, 07:10 AM

pm sent
Old January 11th, 2022, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
69HO43 is right on all accounts above. Man, these factory radios are problematic. I myself am committed to keeping the 100% factory look so I continue to get them either repaired or replaced when they croak. Which is far more often than I'd like. I currently have the Delco AM/FM Stereo Cassette unit in all 3 of my 79's. However, in my 79 H/O I am probably going to put in "The King of All Radios" back then, the infamous AM/FM Stereo/8 Track CB. I've got a really nice one (that needs to be sent out for repair) and the power antenna in the H/O has the grey CB coil bubble. This way I can justify to my wife not selling all my 8 tracks. She'll want 'em gone if they are of no use.

Now this time, I went all out for a completely rebuilt AM/FM Stereo/Cassette unit, I just spent nearly $400 on it. I'm hoping this will be an end all and will be the last one I install in my 79 Blue Calais for some time. Wishful thinking? Probably.

I can muster up one for sale for you if you want one, no guarantees on the function but I will supply you with the name of a repair service which is a must if one is going to use these radios. Also, mine are cosmetically nice, no dingy, peeling push buttons or worn out lettering.
Nice! I had a Delco AM/FM/Cassette/CB rebuilt a couple years ago for $300 and it did awesome after that. Sounded great with upgraded speakers.

I just found a radio on ebay for a good price and bought it. Looks good, and cheap enough that I won't be sad if it needs a full rebuild.
Old January 11th, 2022, 10:00 AM

Good deal, can you post the auction number, I can look at the unit then locate a woodgrain surround that's compatible with the cosmetic condition of the radio, or better condition, your call. I've got a bunch of these.
Old January 11th, 2022, 12:23 PM

If you zoom up to the top radio on this pic, is an 83 am/fm/ cassette CB radiio
if that’s something you might be interested in
Regards,Brett
Old January 11th, 2022, 12:25 PM

Here is the current condition of the interior and radio trim. I’ll clean up the radio as needed, but something close to this condition would be ideal to match the rest of the wood grain.

Old January 12th, 2022, 04:09 AM

Some good news for you, once you slip out that aftermarket radio, unless that portion of the woodgrain piece behind the radio was hacked, it really looks like you have a good original piece. Overall it looks to be in great shape. I'd suggest pulling the radio and see what's underneath.

Also, great looking interior on this car, well done on the purchase!
Old January 12th, 2022, 06:51 AM

P.M. Sent
Old January 12th, 2022, 07:14 AM

I might have a wood-grain trim piece down in the pile if yours is cut up under the radio.

for cheap Ill look tonight
Old January 18th, 2022, 04:06 PM

Thanks to BlueCalais79 for the trim piece. It looks great with the new radio!

Question for the group, any trick to getting the cassette eject button off besides cutting it off? I have a replacement in the mail.

Last edited by stampsicle; January 18th, 2022 at 07:43 PM.
Old January 19th, 2022, 05:19 AM

Looking good and looking original! Per the eject button, not sure, I'll blast apart one of my spare radios this weekend and see how it can be removed. Your radio looks to be in great condition cosmetically, it really fits in well with the rest of the dash. Nothings cooler than that green light being on when a Cassette is in use!