51-52 Fan Shroud

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

51-52 Fan Shroud

I need a fan shroud for a 51-52 Olds. I don't know if a 53 had one or not but if it did it should work. I am getting ready to add air to my 54 and it did not come with a fan shroud. I have no idea why. I am trying to get all the parts rounded up.

Thanks
Old May 28th, 2014, 07:12 AM

1957 Chassis Parts Book Info - Form PA-95

Just some shroud data FYI from an original Olds parts bible.

1949 & 1950-88; 1952-88A 22" high PN: 555997

1950-98 PN: 558013

1951-98 PN: 561749

'51-88A & Super 88; 1952 ALL 22 1/2" high PN: 560433
'53 ALL W/C.A.C. & D.F. 22 1/2" high PN: 560433

1954 THRU 1956 ALL W/C.A.C. PN: 567453

1957 W/C.A.C. PN: 570694

C.A.C. = Car Air Conditioning
D.F. = Dnyaflow Transmission

As an aside, neither my '55 Holiday 88 nor my '54 Holiday 88 have shrouds,(both orig stick cars), so they are either missing or never there??? Does "ALL W/C.A.C." mean that only cars with air conditioning have shrouds?? Unfortunately that info is above my pay grade! Oh, did you notice the 1956 air parts car on ebay right now???

Happy Hunting, Tom
Old May 28th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks for the info foxman. I don't think factory AC was available on an Oldsmobile until 1954 (might be wrong) but I know it was not in 1950 and 51 so that rules out only AC cars having fan shrouds. I will take some measurements this weekend. It looks like some of the Tri-5 Chevy shrouds may fit and they are reproduced. Thank again for the info.
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:00 AM

The first C.A.C. (car air conditioning) for Oldsmobile was 1953. In that year, and subsequent years, the shrouds were used on the A/C cars (and the Dynaflow transmission cars in 1953), but not on the others. Prior to 1953 they were used without A/C. If your 1954 has the original radiator, the ones used from 1954-56 should work. The biggest problem is that most of the cars did not have A/C, hence the shrouds are not commonplace. My 1955 has one as it has A/C. If you can't find one and you are handy with sheet metal, you can fabricate one. I once did it for an early 442, which only came with a "ring". It won't look like the original, but will work as well or better. If I'm remembering correctly, the 1953 & 1954 had the evaporators in the trunk over the axle. The 1955 had the evaporator under the hood. If you want it to be "original" you'll probably have to find a donor vehicle. If you get with a "modern" wrecking yard, they may be able to do a search of other yards to find one, but you can expect to drive a lot to get to it and pay dearly. Best wishes!
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:47 AM

Redoldsman

Redoldsman, check your PM's Tom
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Not doing factory air coldwar. I don't believe it was available on a 54 convertible since it was trunk mounted and went through the headliner. I am going to do a Vintage Air reproduction of the Mark IV underdash.
Old May 29th, 2014, 08:35 AM

If you do find a donor shroud, depending on your plans for what's under the hood, you may also want to consider fan, pulleys, vibration damper, etc. These were different on the A/C cars. The fan was a rigid 6 blade in '55. There were 3 grooves for the belts. The condenser was a large heavy steel unit. The A5 compressor is also large and difficult to get parts for. The A6 is much better if you'd prefer to switch, but the brackets are different. Or perhaps you will be using the Sanden. Later water pumps offered a larger bearing for the A/C cars which should work on the '54. Probably, you have considered all of this already.
Old May 29th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks Ozzie. I have rounded up the harmonic balancer and water pump pulley. They are actually 4 groove since they apparently used two belts to drive that huge A5 compressor. I also picked up a rebuilt AC water pump. I have a pretty good lead on a 4-core radiator which will no doubt have to be rodded out (hopefully that is all). None of this stuff is cheap because it is so rare. I am going to use a Vintage Air reproduction of the Mark IV underdash unit with a Sanden compressor. I am going to take some measurements this weekend on the radiator and look at some of the universal aluminum units and see how close they are. I will also look at some of the repro shrouds for the Tri-5 Chevy's and see if I can make one of those work. When I start the installation I will do a thread on it.
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:47 PM

I'll be looking forward to hear how all the challenges were dealt with, and how all came out. I've attached a diagram of what the A/C system looked like in '55. Using a different condenser and compressor should be a positive. As you can see, the system used 3 valves. The expansion valve was conventional. The pressure regulator valve was to keep the pressure in the evaporator from going too low and icing the coil. It functioned similar to the later POA valves (but did not have an oil recovery feature from the evaporator). The by-pass valve regulated the high side pressure to keep it from going too high. Your system may or may not have these. You can probably use most driers which physically fit. Most of these have built in sight glasses. The original did not. They used an in-line sight glass. If you have difficulty using the sight glass in the drier, try to get one of the original sight glasses. It's a well made brass unit with a large viewer which you can shine a light through. It's one of the best I've ever seen. Best wishes on the project.
Attached Images
Old May 30th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks Ozzie.

I will not be using any of the actual components for the original AC system. I am going to install a Vintage Air system. They are manufactured in San Antonio. They reproduce the Mark IV underdash unit that was so popular in the 60's. They make some cool (pun intended) stuff. What I am doing right now is getting the stuff rounded up to improve the cooling system to handle the AC and the pulleys to drive the system. I see you are from Southeast Louisiana. I grew up in West Monroe and live there until 1979. Do you by chance know Scotty Hall in Lafayette? He has like 5 54 Starfires. He is the guy I bought my crankshaft and water pump pulleys from. I am hoping he has a 4 core radiator. He does not have the fan shroud. Here is the Vintage Air link:

http://www.vintageair.com/

Thanks for your help and interest.

Last edited by redoldsman; May 30th, 2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old May 30th, 2014, 10:16 PM

It looks like Vintage Air has a lot of "cool stuff" as you said.
While I have been to Lafayette many times, I don't know Scotty Hall. But he does sound like a good guy to know if he's so well supplied with old Oldsmobiles. I had to rebuild the balancer on mine when its ring lost its bond. I'm wondering if Vintage Air will have a compressor bracket for the Oldsmobile engine, or if you will be making your own. The original one for the A5 was stout and had rubber cushions. It sounds like you have a nice project underway.
Old May 31st, 2014, 08:21 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Vintage Air has a universal bracket for the Sanden compressor which is what I believe I will have to use. It will take a little fab work which I may have to get some help with. I think I will wind up spending about $800 getting the car ready for the AC.
Old May 31st, 2014, 10:44 AM

If the compressor bracket gets to be too burdensome, you can always go with the A6 compressor by getting a bracket from a '64 Olds (big car). The A6 pumps really well, as long as it doesn't seize. The bracket will require a slight modification due to changes in the engine during the previous 10 years. The bonus is that it will also hold the GM alternator, which is a vast improvement over the old generator. With some minor rewiring and another method of regulation (internal or external), it works well. The original generator is really overtaxed, especially when driving at night in the summer with the A/C on and the radio playing.
Old May 31st, 2014, 11:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Interesting thought on the later model bracket for the A6. The Sanden is such an improvement I will still go with it. If I can get a bracket for a 54-56 might be able to use part of it to mount the Sanden compressor. I already have the one wire alternator. Big improvement. Thanks for the advice.
Old June 11th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I finally sprung for the fan shroud on ebay. It only cost about twice what I thought it should have. Now the only piece I need is the 4 core radiator for the AC cars. I can probably have an aluminum one made but they are expensive and very non-original. I now think I am going to come in at about $1,200 just getting the car ready of the AC. I probably need to make a new thread listing a 4-core radiator instead of a fan shroud.
Old June 12th, 2014, 05:13 AM

This probably won't help much, but the Olds parts book shows 3 radiators for 1954.
With A/C & Dynaflow, part number 3130671
Without A/C, part number 3131179
With A/C, part number 3131351
A talented person may be able to recreate a copper/brass unit for you if the radiator specs are known. Having the top & bottom tanks would help. Again it will involve $$$.
The non A/C unit may do the job if the environment is not extreme and the fan and shroud are excellent. In those days even the "standard" radiators were better than more recent models.
Unfortunately, we have chosen a costly hobby.
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks Ozzie. I wonder what the difference in the two A/C radiators is. I first thought maybe a transmission cooler but then they would have to have one for non A/C cars. I am going to talk with a couple of local radiator shops and see what their thoughts are on recoring it. Texas is like south Louisiana in that it is an extreme climate. The cooling system will need all the help it can get. You are correct in that this is a costly hobby.
Old June 12th, 2014, 06:57 PM

Hey Guys, are you aware that the radiator for fan shroud applications have a series of 4 tabs extending off each side at the rear of the radiator (running vertically) on each side to receive the shroud attaching screws (which are short 1/4" diameter lag screws with flat washers. These early shrouds do not attach to the core supports like 60's and 70's cutlass-442. To make your installation right and a simple bolt-up installation you will need the shroud and a matching radiator with the tabs for screw attachment. I have a '56-98 w/ original factory air system. Incidentally, I have a 1950 tin woody project car that has no air, factory or otherwise, no power steering, or power anything, but it does have a fan shroud and matching radiator that I believe to be original. It would be interesting if someone out there knows the story about which 1950's cars did and did not receive these early fan shrouds.
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:36 PM

I'm in Austin, Tx and own a complete 51 Super 88 that I just today pulled the radiator from and it has a nice clean shroud on it. 50.00 if you can pick it up. Just sold engine and transmission from the 51 so it's coming apart.

Henry
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks oldave55. I do understand how the shroud mounts. It will probably take a little fabrication of some brackets to mount it on a non AC radiator. From what I have been able to determine, All the 88's from 49 to 52 had shrouds. There were no factory AC cars until 1953. The factory AC cars has the shroud, a 4 core radiator, a 6 blade fan and a heavier duty water pump. The non AC cars from 53 to 56 did not have the shroud. I think I am pretty close on this. I have everything except the 4 core radiator.
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks Henry. I bought one and paid a lot more than $50.00 for it. I guess I got in too big a hurry. I can tell you that you should have not problem selling it at that price. Your are probably a little too cheap. Thanks for responding.