455 Waterpump pulley needed

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2016, 06:00 PM

455 Waterpump pulley needed

Okay folks, I've got some measurements of the 3 groove Waterpump pulley, ALL FROM THE FRONT OF THE PULLEY NOT THE BACK MOUNTING FACE- so overall front to rear 3", not using the first pulley groove, from the front of the pulley to the 2nd groove is 2 1/8" the third groove from the front of the pulley is 2 5/8" overall diameter is 5 5/8" I need a larger pulley if y'all can help me with what stamped code or if you have one that matches them measurements, thanks
Old August 14th, 2016, 06:36 PM

Are there any markings on it?
And a larger pulley might not clear the crank pulley.
Old August 14th, 2016, 06:38 PM

Also remember a larger diameter will slow down your water pump speed and that is less flow.
Old August 14th, 2016, 07:07 PM

I'm wondering if I'm over spinning the water pump that's why I'm considering a larger diameter pulley to slow it up
Old August 14th, 2016, 08:59 PM

I don't think that the engineers that designed this stuff would have put something on that that would over spin the water pump.
What makes you think that anyway?
Old August 15th, 2016, 02:55 AM

my setup isn't quite factory anymore, but as I drive through town I run 180* once I get on the interstate and run 65-70 it creeps up to as high as I let it until I put it in neutral and coast for a few miles, I've already had the 4 row radiator checked and cleaned, flushed the whole system, and upgraded to a flowkooler pump, it has a 5/8" restrictor washer in it, dual electric fans with a proper shroud, so I'm interested in trying a larger diameter pulley to slow the flow a little
Old August 15th, 2016, 03:34 AM

If it's creeping up in the highway I would be thinking about buildup in the block and possible restrictions from blocked passages between the block and heads.
I honestly think you're barking up the wrong tree with this, and this is why. You put it in neutral and coast and it cools down. You are not just slowing down the water pump, but you are not putting near as much heat into the water for it to try and remove from the system.
If the water can't flow through the block and out, then the heat can't be removed efficiently.
If It were me I would do a hard flush on the engine, and pull the drain plugs on both sides of the block to make sure to get as much out of it as possible. If you can find someone that has a flushing machine that uses agitated air that would be even better. I'm not a fan of chemical flushes if they can be avoided.
Old August 15th, 2016, 04:15 AM

Okay thanks
Old August 15th, 2016, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
If it's creeping up in the highway I would be thinking about buildup in the block and possible restrictions from blocked passages between the block and heads.
I honestly think you're barking up the wrong tree with this, and this is why. You put it in neutral and coast and it cools down. You are not just slowing down the water pump, but you are not putting near as much heat into the water for it to try and remove from the system.
If the water can't flow through the block and out, then the heat can't be removed efficiently.
If It were me I would do a hard flush on the engine, and pull the drain plugs on both sides of the block to make sure to get as much out of it as possible. If you can find someone that has a flushing machine that uses agitated air that would be even better. I'm not a fan of chemical flushes if they can be avoided.
Just thinking About 12 years ago I had a head gasket blow, I wonder if a guy can get a left and a right gasket mixed up, it put cometics on it
Old August 16th, 2016, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by raxefab72
.....I wonder if a guy can get a left and a right gasket mixed up, it put cometics on it
Head gaskets will fit either side of the engine.
My question is "did you put a lower gear in the rear end". The lowest gear that the factory put in a car with a/c (large crank pulley and small water pump pulley) was a 3.23 ratio. The reason being that any more gear would spin the water pump too fast on the highway; thereby, not allowing the water time to transfer the heat to the radiator. When you put your car in neutral on the highway, the engine is idling, slowing down the water flow and you're putting a lot of air through the radiator to cool off the water quicker. Just another thing to consider.
Old August 16th, 2016, 08:41 AM

Yes I had 3.73 in it, then I broke the factory limited slip carrier and then went to a 3.42 and still had the problem, that's why I was wondering the same thing is the water/coolant even having a chance to absorb the heat and then transfer it out, when it's idling the water is really moving, I rev it up slightly and it's really really flowing, as soon as I let off the throttle it overflows the radiator and out the waterneck it comes. I've asked around for a different Waterpump pulley but no one seems to help, I've got the measurements but no ID number or digits 5 5/8" diameter, three groove, I only use the 2nd and 3rd grooves, which are 2 1/8" and 2 5/8" from the very front face of the pulley not the rear mounting surface but the front of the mounting surface

Last edited by raxefab72; August 16th, 2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old August 17th, 2016, 01:49 PM

I'd really like to try a different pulley before a radiator if anyone has one
Old August 18th, 2016, 06:19 AM

455 Waterpump pulley

You have to have a "matched set" of pulleys on any engine. By this I mean that you probably can't just change to a larger w/p pulley, as stated above by SVNT442, as it would more than likely interfere with the larger crank pulley. It sounds like you're not running a/c. If that is the case, then you would need a matched set from a non-a/c application, which would have only two grooves, a smaller crank pulley, and a larger w/p pulley. Chris may be able to help you out with the parts id; or consult an assembly manual for your model.
Old August 18th, 2016, 06:36 AM

Thanks yeah no a/c, and I put the alternator on the passenger side not over the power steering pump if that matters