425 v8 in NY?

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2012, 08:30 PM
67 heavy metal

425 v8 in NY?

I am looking for a good running 425 v8.I will need a trans as well but I am after the motor for now.I found one but it may not be worth buying.Anyone in New york state have one to sell.I would prefer a 425 but might consider looking at a 330,olds 350 or maby a 455. but I have a 455 for another project.Let me know what you have and price.
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

By the way, Delmont, what's that yard asking for the incomplete, non-running 425?

Just curious what the range is these days.

- Eric
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:03 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by MDchanic
By the way, Delmont, what's that yard asking for the incomplete, non-running 425?

Just curious what the range is these days.

- Eric
The one I am looking at he wants $500 and says it ran when parked.But he has several parts off it so with out a harmonic balancer and flywheel it can't be started.But he wants $500 and he said he would sell me the trans for $200.
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by delmontcrusier
The one I am looking at he wants $500 and says it ran when parked.But he has several parts off it so with out a harmonic balancer and flywheel it can't be started.
That's too much.

Walk away.

You can get a running motor for $2-300 if you're patient.
How long it will run, well, that's another story, but even that beats "can't be started."

Also, for whatever it's worth, I spent some time working in a junkyard as a kid.
The boss used to say "Go get a slant six off the rack, pull the plugs and turn it over a few times to get the water out - a guy's coming over in half an hour to buy it."

'Nuff said.

- Eric
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:07 PM
67 heavy metal

That's too much.

Walk away.

You can get a running motor for $2-300 if you're patient.
How long it will run, well, that's another story, but even that beats "can't be started."

Also, for whatever it's worth, I spent some time working in a junkyard as a kid.
The boss used to say "Go get a slant six off the rack, pull the plugs and turn it over a few times to get the water out - a guy's coming over in half an hour to buy it."

'Nuff said.

- Eric
That is true I should leave this one alone then.I guess it was more convienence than anything with it being in ny and not all that far away.I guess I will keep looking then.Maby someone on here will have somthing for me.
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:41 AM
72 Olds CS

http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/2946170858.html

says olds 425 drivetrain...not sure what it includes GL
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:13 PM

transmission

I have a good 400 long shaft trans for your car. Iwant a 100 for it. my # is 814 676 2662. HANK
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:40 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/2946170858.html

says olds 425 drivetrain...not sure what it includes GL
HE must have sold the olds parts as I don't see 425 just buick and some other items he is selling.

Originally Posted by Hank
I have a good 400 long shaft trans for your car. Iwant a 100 for it. my # is 814 676 2662. HANK

Sounds good but are you in NY or out of state.I could not complain for that price but if your out of state I would have to figure out shipping.
Old May 16th, 2012, 05:18 PM
72 Olds CS

HE must have sold the olds parts as I don't see 425 just buick and some other items he is selling.

Sounds good but are you in NY or out of state.I could not complain for that price but if your out of state I would have to figure out shipping.

hmm said that when i posted the link,,,maybe that promoted a sale
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:47 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
hmm said that when i posted the link,,,maybe that promoted a sale
Anything is possible but it was gone when I looked unfortunatly.Thanks for the heads up though.
Old May 27th, 2012, 11:42 AM
67 heavy metal

I was origionally looking for a 425 engine in new york state as it would be easier to get and shipping would not be involved.But it seems they are far few and between.I have in the past found more 455's than any other engine.I had this in the listing:I would prefer a 425 but might consider looking at a 330,olds 350 or maby a 455. but I have a 455 for another project.I also said about a trans since the car the engine would be going in has no trans.I did get one above offer and as you can see I messaged back and got no response only now did I notice the phone number duhh on me.So with all that said if any one has a good running olds engine for a decent price and it wont be crazy for shipping let me know.I did want to go 425 but I want to find some offers.The car is just a rollling chassie project at this point and I can't go much farther without a drivetrane and I do not want to put a sbc in a olds.Thanks and hope to hear from someone
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:25 PM
67 heavy metal

425 but not olds?

I have been looking for a 425 olds engine or the others listed and have not found one.But I came across this 1977 425 ci cadillac motor and 400 trans.Now it is not olds but now I wonder what is different between a cadi 425 and a olds 425.DO they bolt different or are parts not the same as olds.I am considering this as a option as it is a good price and it runs.So it is a better deal than the last 425 I was looking at and it comes with a 400 trans.So with all that said opinions please and any info on what would be different.Would it just drop in to a olds that was a 425 or would some mods maby be needed to fit a cadi 425.
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:53 PM

425 From Michigan

I might have checked this ad out more, if I hadn't first found a 455. This ad is from Cruis'news, June 2012, page 68... www.cruisnews.com search the site... (Rebuilt Olds 425 motor complete)

512-004 - Rebuilt Olds 425 motor complete (2bbl, Carb, exhaust manifolds, alt., P.S. pump) trans and driveshaft.
$500 obo.
More info 248-624-8073

B.T.W. I have two non-running 425's that need to be rebuilt.

F.Y.I. Jaybird

Timing is everything!

Last edited by Jaybird; June 1st, 2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:08 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... I came across this 1977 425 ci cadillac motor and 400 trans. Now it is not olds but now I wonder what is different between a cadi 425 and a olds 425.
Everything.

DO they bolt different or are parts not the same as olds.
The 425 has the same external dimensions and attachments as the 472 and the 500.

So with all that said opinions please and any info on what would be different.
The transmission bolt pattern should be the same, but the motor mounts will be in different places. I do not know where and how Cadillac motor mounts bolted up, but I doubt you'd luck out and find that they bolted into the same points in the Olds frame, since Caddy frames are different.
As for whether you had enough clearance for all of the front-of-engine components, you probably would, since the '77 Caddys were pretty much A-body sized, but you never know.

And don't forget that that motor was only rated at 180hp.

Opinion: Hell no.

Would it just drop in to a olds that was a 425...
No, it would not.

... would some mods maby be needed to fit a cadi 425.
Maybe.

- Eric
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:59 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by Jaybird
I might have checked this ad out more, if I hadn't first found a 455. This ad is from Cruis'news, June 2012, page 68... www.cruisnews.com search the site... (Rebuilt Olds 425 motor complete)

512-004 - Rebuilt Olds 425 motor complete (2bbl, Carb, exhaust manifolds, alt., P.S. pump) trans and driveshaft.
$500 obo.
More info 248-624-8073

B.T.W. I have two non-running 425's that need to be rebuilt.

F.Y.I. Jaybird

Timing is everything!
That sounds like a nice deal but then shipping would be ruff with that much weight.I just found the cadi 425 and it is here in ny.But if you read below now that looks like a fail.The guy only wants 400 for the engine and trans running.My biggest problem is I need a running or decent running motor and trans.I don't have the funds or personal knowledge to rebuild a engine and having one rebuilt can be exspensive.That also depends were you go,who you know and what parts need to be replaced and what parts do not need to be replaced.

Everything.

The 425 has the same external dimensions and attachments as the 472 and the 500.

The transmission bolt pattern should be the same, but the motor mounts will be in different places. I do not know where and how Cadillac motor mounts bolted up, but I doubt you'd luck out and find that they bolted into the same points in the Olds frame, since Caddy frames are different.
As for whether you had enough clearance for all of the front-of-engine components, you probably would, since the '77 Caddys were pretty much A-body sized, but you never know.

And don't forget that that motor was only rated at 180hp.

Opinion: Hell no.

No, it would not.

Maybe.

- Eric
I just though maby I found somthing that was a option.The engine is needed for my ratrod olds project.The car was a 67 2dr convertible delmont 88 and the front end or clip is off of it much of the front clip was wrecked in 85 from a tree or pole so I was told.I took what was left off and saved the parts for my other 4dr project.This 2dr convert is quite rusty and makes for a great rat rod but alot of work to make it a nice convert delmont.This is my way to save the car as well since it was origionally bought for parts.then I came up with this idea.The guy I bought the car from had the engine and trans in the car when I first started talking to him.The origional 425 and 400 trans.But it was pulled for his cousins culass.I may have to contact him and see if it is still around or not since I am not having that great of luck finding a suitable replacment so far.

Last edited by delmontcrusier; June 1st, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:22 PM
67 heavy metal

I have been unable to find a local 425 worth getting.I have seen ones that were out of state but shipping would be ruff.But I recently found a 350 olds with th350 trans that is a option.What I need to know is what mounts will be needed since it is going were a 425 was and the orig trans was th400 and if I remember correctly the trans mount is off a bit from a th400 to a th350.I can get this for a good price just need to know what will be off and what mounts will be needed to put er in.
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:49 PM

Go For It!

Hey delmontcruiser: Go big or stay home! There are many 455 engines available. Try looking for a good rotating assembly.
My new 455 is currently being rebuilt. My man Dave said he hopes this thing is out of his yard by the weekend!

Yes!!
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:27 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by Jaybird
Hey delmontcruiser: Go big or stay home! There are many 455 engines available. Try looking for a good rotating assembly.
My new 455 is currently being rebuilt. My man Dave said he hopes this thing is out of his yard by the weekend!

Yes!!
well I was after a 425 and though a 455 has power and is a good engine.I have one waiting to be put in my 4dr.I found this one for $300 with trans all I would have to do is add a power steering pump and mounts.The car the engine is going in does not need to be a total power house since it is going to be a ratrod fun car.Not that I don't like 455's just would have prefered the 425.
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:54 AM

350 olds with th350 trans

I have been unable to find a local 425 worth getting.I have seen ones that were out of state but shipping would be ruff.But I recently found a 350 olds with th350 trans that is a option.What I need to know is what mounts will be needed since it is going were a 425 was and the orig trans was th400 and if I remember correctly the trans mount is off a bit from a th400 to a th350.I can get this for a good price just need to know what will be off and what mounts will be needed to put er in.
You should be able to use the same engine mounts, as the bottom of the blocks are the same between big and small blocks. The exhaust will be a problem, especially if you have single exhaust; the crossover for a big block is longer. The bigger problem may be the transmission. First of all, you'll need to come up with a kick down cable set-up. The T-350 didn't come out until 1969, so there is no provision on your gas pedal, or firewall for one. Also, you'll need a longer driveshaft, with a different yoke. There may be other issues, but these are what come to mind right off. Bob.
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:18 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN269V
You should be able to use the same engine mounts, as the bottom of the blocks are the same between big and small blocks. The exhaust will be a problem, especially if you have single exhaust; the crossover for a big block is longer. The bigger problem may be the transmission. First of all, you'll need to come up with a kick down cable set-up. The T-350 didn't come out until 1969, so there is no provision on your gas pedal, or firewall for one. Also, you'll need a longer driveshaft, with a different yoke. There may be other issues, but these are what come to mind right off. Bob.
Seems like for the trans I should stay with the th400 but the engine would work.I could still use the th350 on another vehicle so it would not be a waste either way.But then i would have to measure for the exaust to make sure everything would fit.I find with olds you have to go out the pass side even if you do dual exhaust because the steering is in the way.That is the case at least with my 67's.
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Olds Fever

I have been unable to find a local 425 worth getting.

There might be one available soon in the Albany area..... How far are you located from Albany?
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:07 AM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
There might be one available soon in the Albany area..... How far are you located from Albany?
I live near Rochester about 10 miles or so to the west of the city.Now here is the funny part i bought the car that I need the engine for not all that far from albany.I got it in vorheesville about two years ago.
Old June 21st, 2012, 06:36 PM
Olds Fever

I live near Rochester about 10 miles or so to the west of the city.Now here is the funny part i bought the car that I need the engine for not all that far from albany.I got it in vorheesville about two years ago.

If a decision is made any time soon as to actually being for sale, I will let you know ASAP...... I can tell you, the 425 engine and the 400 trans were removed from a 67 98 convertible..... Both were supposedly rebuilt only a short time before the car was damaged from being in a house fire, and the damage to the car was only heat and water damage and not actual fire (burned) damage.......
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:04 PM
67 heavy metal

If a decision is made any time soon as to actually being for sale, I will let you know ASAP...... I can tell you, the 425 engine and the 400 trans were removed from a 67 98 convertible..... Both were supposedly rebuilt only a short time before the car was damaged from being in a house fire, and the damage to the car was only heat and water damage and not actual fire (burned) damage.......
wow so it had lots of good parts yet then.The front end on that car is the same as a 67 delmont with the signals in the bumper.The deltas had them between the head lights and my preferance is them in the bumper.Yes please do keep me informed with what is decided.Too bad about the 98 though.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:47 AM

Good Morning, I have a complete Oldsmobile 350 2BBL with 2 Speed Transmission in a 68 Cutlass that is driven freqeuently. About 100K on motor, new water pump, slight intermittent blue smoke, transmission I was told has been rebuilt and shifts very smoothly. I will be removing the engine/transmission in the upcoming months to put in a 455 and will not be needing either. I am located in Central NJ. Price is $500.00 for combination. Let me know if this helps, Vin
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:19 PM

Delmont "Rund to Rund" ( Joe) on this site has 425's. You will know what your getting from him. I bought and traded lots of stuff with him through out the years.
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:12 AM

I have a complete 455 powertrain within 3 hours of your location. I sent you a PM
Old October 12th, 2014, 07:13 PM
67 heavy metal

I have been mia for awile but still looking

I had a few potentials but still looking for that 425 or 455 v8 and th400. The project is getting closer to getting it's shop time but will be limited if I don't find the drivetrain. I now have a truck that can haul the motor and trans with as well.
Old October 13th, 2014, 04:17 AM

This thing's been on Craigslist for along time. If it's running, pull the motor and part the rest or scrap it. I'll bet you can get it for $600.

http://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/cto/4663682096.html
Old October 13th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Olds Fever

The 425 I mentioned in my previous post (Can't believe it's been over 2 years) is now in my garage and for sale.... I will also include the 400 trans if you still need it.... I cleared the area around the engine recently and rotated the engine a couple times too make sure it was not seized.... Like I said previously, it was supposedly rebuilt shortly before the fire... It is complete carb to pan and I am asking $600....
Old October 13th, 2014, 05:43 PM
67 heavy metal

The 425 I mentioned in my previous post (Can't believe it's been over 2 years) is now in my garage and for sale.... I will also include the 400 trans if you still need it.... I cleared the area around the engine recently and rotated the engine a couple times too make sure it was not seized.... Like I said previously, it was supposedly rebuilt shortly before the fire... It is complete carb to pan and I am asking $600....

Wow nice you still have it I figured it would have been long gone. I am interested and do still need the trans.
Old October 14th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Olds Fever

Wow nice you still have it I figured it would have been long gone. I am interested and do still need the trans.

PM me with some email contact info and we can proceed from there if you are seriously interested...