394 AC crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2015, 10:33 PM

394 AC crank pulley

Hey guys, I need some help. I have a 63 Dynamic 88 with a 394 low compression engine with dealer installed AC (I think it is a York compressor - a big square unit that sits up on top of the front of the engine).

Background: The crankshaft bolt backed out on me (not torqued correctly) which backed out the AC crank pulley. I think it mushroomed the inside of the actual crank pulley when that happened. I'm not sure how those two mate together, but when they are together it makes the crank pulley look like it has three grooves.

I figured this out when the AC quit working and I thought the compressor locked up. After further investigation, I found out that NONE of the AC pulleys were turning including the bottom pulley.

So needless to say, I need a new crank pulley and bottom AC pulley. Does anyone have any extras laying around that they can part with?
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:38 PM

Anybody know where I can get these?
Old June 17th, 2015, 06:00 AM

The AC pulley on the 394 has 3 grooves whereas the non AC pulley has 2, which pulley do you require/
Adding the 3 groove pulley to a non engine changes the alignment of the alt. and water pump.
Steve
Old June 17th, 2015, 06:11 AM

Well, it was a dealer installed unit, so it is a separate pulley that mates up to the two groove crank pulley. I believe it to be a cast iron piece made by GM that has a keyway and interlocks into the two groove crank pulley, essentially making it look like a 3 grove pulley when pulled in with the crank bolt.

I'm not sure how the alternator and power steering was on a factory installed unit, but the power steering is on the driver's side and runs in one of the two grooves, while the alternator is on the passenger side and also runs through one of the two grooves. The AC sits just off to the passenger side in front of the thermostat housing and rides in the "third" groove.