1977 Cutlass opera window trim

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2018, 07:03 AM

1977 Cutlass opera window trim

Looking for Opera window trim for my 77 cutlass supreme. I see it new online but not wanting to spend that much. Anyone out there have it used in good condition? thank you.
Old February 7th, 2018, 07:15 AM

The original Mylar/plastic trim usually deteriorates from the sun. Very hard to find in usable condition. Your best bet is 73-76 stainless trim. However pricing seems to be comparable to new plastic repo stuff. At least it is on E-bay.
Mike
Old February 7th, 2018, 07:21 AM

Opera trim

Hi Guys
Where can I get the window trim on ebay, I have searched but cannot find it.
Thanks
Old February 8th, 2018, 07:12 AM

The Parts Place has them.

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/old...ID=4&year=1975
Old February 8th, 2018, 08:03 AM

To the original OP...as Mike stated, it's impossible to find presentable used ones with the chromed mylar still intact. I hesitate to even mention it, but I have one pair that I removed that I believe are solid enough to still be usable if you are okay with painting them with a chrome paint in an attempt to at least resemble a chrome finish. But, be advised...the plastic can be brittle after 40+ yrs and no guarantees they could be reinstalled without cracking them. At best, they might get you by until you decide to spring for some repros. Personally, I'd either go without...or, wait until that time.

For general info purposes, be advised that the moldings for the LARGER qtr windows are the same among Chevelles, Centurys, Cutlasses (442 & S) and Lemans models. Not true with the SMALL qtr windows as only the Cutlass (Supreme & Salon) and Century/Regal share the same ones. Chevelles/Malibus, Montes and Grand Prixs are different in their own ways. Stainless was only used on '73 models before some bean counters at GM decided they could save a few bucks by going the cheap route with chromed mylar plastic (we all know how those have held up over the years). Also, be aware the repros are the same chromed plastic version.

Last edited by crimsoncolby; February 8th, 2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old February 8th, 2018, 08:43 AM

Crimson I would be more than happy to purchase those from you. Thank you so much.
Old February 8th, 2018, 11:22 AM

Here they are. I noticed the rearward leg (one that looks somewhat shiny) on the driver side molding is that way because not only did the thin layer of chrome mylar come off, but the layer of plastic that it was bonded to did also. That's why the profile looks thinner than the rest. After seeing that, it appears these are made of two layers of formed plastic laminated together with the very thin chrome mylar being the third layer. So, you be the judge whether these will work for you. I probably paid $20 for the pair including the stainless corner connectors...so, add $10 more for my efforts and Paypal fee and that will be the price (plus shipping). If you already have the corner connectors, throw them on e-Bay and recoup your money. Let me know!

Steve
Old May 18th, 2019, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by crimsoncolby

Here they are. I noticed the rearward leg (one that looks somewhat shiny) on the driver side molding is that way because not only did the thin layer of chrome mylar come off, but the layer of plastic that it was bonded to did also. That's why the profile looks thinner than the rest. After seeing that, it appears these are made of two layers of formed plastic laminated together with the very thin chrome mylar being the third layer. So, you be the judge whether these will work for you. I probably paid $20 for the pair including the stainless corner connectors...so, add $10 more for my efforts and Paypal fee and that will be the price (plus shipping). If you already have the corner connectors, throw them on e-Bay and recoup your money. Let me know!

Steve
Old May 18th, 2019, 03:26 PM

I would be willing to buy the trim from you if still available please
Old May 18th, 2019, 09:17 PM

Sorry, Greg...these are long gone.
Old May 18th, 2019, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by crimsoncolby
Sorry, Greg...these are long gone.
Ok thanks Colby I’m looking for actually the little chrome corners that hold trim in place if anyone would have to sell
Old May 19th, 2019, 07:11 AM

If you have a Supreme or Salon, I've got some corners. $55/pr shipped. Let me know.

Steve
Old May 19th, 2019, 06:12 PM

i believe fusicks also has them..Fusick.com
Old May 20th, 2019, 02:46 AM

thank you all for the very helpful information I narrowing in on them !! Amazing how everyone has been
Old May 20th, 2019, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the info, Bill...I wasn't aware anyone was reproducing these. Ones I have are factory originals. Any feedback as to whether they are made of same gauge of stainless and/or fitment issues? Wonder why they don't provide repros for the larger opera windows on the "S" models as they are similar; except for the wider angle of the "legs".

Last edited by crimsoncolby; May 20th, 2019 at 07:10 AM.