1973 Cutlass M20 4-speed transmission and Shifter parts

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2016, 03:38 AM

1973 Cutlass M20 4-speed transmission and Shifter parts

WANTED: A 1973 dated, year correct, Muncie M20 4-speed (code "WD") transmission with slip yoke (if possible). Additionally, I'm needing the factory shifter & mounting bracket, rod linkages and levers. Any or all of the parts would be helpful.

In an effort to preserve and restore a factory built '73 Cutlass "M20" car, I'm searching for these factory correct original parts to uphold its factory 4-speed pureness.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by macrover; October 3rd, 2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 09:53 AM

really rare stuff as far as the shifter stuff...i see it once in a great while on ebay, might be one on there right now i think..i think is saw one..i will look and post a link if so...

ive prob seen 3 in my life in person...most people dont know what they are for...the buick shifter is very close..so be carefull make sure ya know which is which before ya buy
Old October 3rd, 2016, 11:39 AM

Hey Mark, how's it going? I appreciate the input.

Yes, the shifter parts are rare parts indeed. I was about to purchase a complete, factory original setup several weeks ago and the seller ended up selling everything to a guy who wanted to install it in his '68 Camaro! I politely told the guy I have the factory correct car for that setup and offered him a choice between a rebuilt '68 or '69 M20. He was not interested at all. Needless to say, I was a bit perturbed but it was a lesson learned.

As you stated, most people don't know, which makes the search even tougher. Especially, knowing about the rods and levers. Those are probably going to be the toughest to locate. If you find that ebay link, let me know. It'll be interesting to see if what's being offered, is what I'm looking for.

For the most part, I know what's "year correct". That includes the shifter information and part numbers of these parts.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks again!
Old October 3rd, 2016, 11:52 AM
Old School Olds

Hey Kelvin, how goes it? Is this the old 73 you bought from me all those years ago?
Old October 3rd, 2016, 01:08 PM

Adam! all is well on my end. How about you, things going okay down that way?

No, it's not. I still have the '73 rolling chassis I got from you. I had planned on installing a 455 and converting it from an automatic to a 6 speed car. The engine I was going to use, was scrapped. So with that happening, those plans were tossed out the window. The roller is probably a parts car now.

In the process of all of that, I was thinking of a new game plan and a true factory '73 4-speed car was presented to me and...well...the rest is history in the making.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:36 PM

things are good..busy with work..ya know how it is...

below is the right shifter i believe, its completed but you can save a pic..the diff in my experience is the buick shifter the H is stamped in a funky curve and is distorted looks like a mis-stamp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-74-75-O...hXmpC-&vxp=mtr

here, i believe is the right lever...and the guy is kinda high on the price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-72-OLDS...dW2rqD&vxp=mtr

heres the right shifter i believe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
s-l1600.jpg (289.7 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by marxjunk; October 3rd, 2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:43 PM

I have a 73 four speed shifter that I might be willing to sell. The 3138 shifter body was rebuilt and the 8740 handle was rechromed. It is really nice and hasn't been used since the rebuild/rechrome. If you're interested, I'll get some pictures.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 03:14 PM
Old School Olds

All good down in Marble bud. That old 73 would make a good roundy-round.
Are there still some good dirt tracks up yonder? Seems there used to be one
down around Kennedale or was that a 1/4 mi track? I forget, to long ago.

Following along on the new 73 project. Looks like you may have found the shifter
if you and 442 72 can hash out a deal. Good luck Oldsmobrother.
Old October 4th, 2016, 08:07 PM

Gentlemen, thanks for the assistance and input, I really appreciate it.

Mark - thanks for the links. The lever and shifter mechanism that sold for $249 on eBay, was a "buy it now" auction. I noticed that auction within a hour of it being listed. I clicked the buy it now link and with great excitement, I attempted to complete the transaction...only to be greeted with an eBay purchasing error. Someone was quicker on the draw than I was. Man oh man, what a way to be deflated in an instant.

On the other auction, the Gentleman selling the $hifter lever only, is proud of his item(s)....to say the least. You bring up a great point on being aware of the subtle differences in these shifter levers. I was moments away from making a purchase that would have been a disappointment.

Based on my extensive research on the '73 Cutlass 4-speed cars and specific Hurst shifter parts, I think the shifter lever he's offering is not "correct" for my application. I almost jumped the gun and bought this lever...that is, until research stated otherwise. Now, I will say, in a pinch it will work but the geometry is off.

Interesting you mentioned the curved "H" shifter lever and Buick. Are you referring to the '73 4-speed Century/Gran Sport?

442_1972 - Thank you for the offer. I'm negotiating a potential deal on a purported, complete factory '73 setup. I'm trying to verify if the parts are the real deal, as the Seller is stating. We shall see....

Adam - Good to hear all is good down in Hill Country. I'll get back down that way, at some point. Your memory serves you correctly. There are some tracks in Kennedale. I believe a 1/4 mile circle dirt track (Kennedale Raceway Park) and the 1/8th mile drag strip (Texas Raceway). There may be others in that area, too.

Regarding the '73 roller I got from you, I'll find a use for it, somewhere along the way. Not likely I'd let it go to the circle track though, '73's are few and far between. They're not seen that often so I'd rather keep it and continue with keeping Rocket preservation alive and well.

Glad to have you following along, I appreciate your presence and input.
Old October 6th, 2016, 04:21 PM

yep...century shifter i believe is the same but has a curved H

i will keep an eye out....i do see them..next time i wil PM you..hard to believe a member would swoop in..but it happens...
Old October 7th, 2016, 10:44 AM

Thanks Mark, I appreciate the assistance.

Funny thing, back in July, I was vacationing with my Family and that's when I got an email about that $249 shifter auction on eBay. I couldn't pull my vehicle over fast enough to try and buy it. My wife was trying to figure out what the urgency was because I was swiping and tapping my phone like a mad man. lol

It's all good though, just one of those things you have to deal with when trying to locate factory correct parts. Truly a chore when dealing with a '73 4-speed car but not too far fetched.

I could easily install a variety of parts to "make things work" but my OCD kicks in. Sooo, I like to keep things the way they were from the factory, for the most part or at least try.
Old October 8th, 2016, 09:25 AM

Kevin, I have an M-20 P3R23A, VIN 33M200XXX complete trans, if your still looking...

I have a shifter with the #8739 handle, is that what your looking for???

Thanks... Crash crash_enterprises@yahoo.com
Old October 12th, 2016, 10:00 AM

Hey Crash, thanks for the information. I have a deal in progress and waiting on the Seller to provide me some information so we can move forward and finalize the deal.

A hurry up and wait situation.

I'll keep you posted on my progress. Email sent as well.
Old January 5th, 2017, 02:04 PM

Well, a few months have gone by and it seems the "deal in progress" has stalled.

Okay, moving forward. Any updates or sightings on any of these parts?

Hey Crash, check your email and give me a shout.

Last edited by macrover; January 5th, 2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old January 5th, 2017, 02:31 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olds-Hurst-4...xYSI5z&vxp=mtr
Old January 6th, 2017, 03:30 PM

Kevin, I've been swamped with rebuilds (7 trans behind) this weekend I should have some time to find the trans and shifter parts...

Thanks... Crash
Old January 8th, 2017, 12:57 AM

Mark - Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Crash - No problem, touch base with me when you can.
Old January 27th, 2017, 11:04 AM

The search continues...

I'm adding an item to my parts search. I'm also looking for the correct '73 4 speed console shift ****.

Crash - any updates?

Again, I appreciate all of the assistance with locating these parts.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 01:26 PM

Did you ever find a shifter?..i bought a load of parts and an 8470 is in the lot..just the handle..i know its been a long time..but i thought id let you know

Last edited by marxjunk; April 2nd, 2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 10:18 AM

Hello, Mark! Nice to hear from you. How's it going? I hope you and yours are doing well and staying safe. I haven't been on here in a while so please pardon my delayed response. I happened to be checking my email spam folder and noticed you had sent me a message through CO. Every now and then, messages and notifications from here, end up in my spam folder...glad I checked it.

Thanks for keeping me in mind and keeping a watchful eye on '73 4 speed parts, I really appreciate that and the update. A far as my search for parts, it's never ending with this factory correct, one year only stuff. I'll check my messages and give you a shout.