1970 Ninety Eight speedometer drive / wheel bearing cap

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2022, 03:56 PM

1970 Ninety Eight speedometer drive / wheel bearing cap

Hoping someone has one of these waiting for a new home!

Driver's side wheel bearing dust cap / speedometer drive assembly. Refer to photo for image of drive portion of cap, which I assume should be bonded to the cap. There is a square drive in the center that drives the speedo cable.

Old December 3rd, 2022, 03:40 PM

That particular part is just to reduce radio interference and it fits in the cap. On my 66’s there is a nylon fitting integral to get driver’s side cap whose squared off inside hole drives the squared off end of the speedo cable.

These are pretty rare now, but would have been used on 65-70 88/98’s and Starfires. Check with French Lake Auto parts about their supply of 65-70 big Oldsmobiles. I got a bunch of chrome/stainless from them last Summer and they just might have the driver’s side hub cover with the speedo cable fitting available.

If you get desparate, you might have a local plastics shop cast your cable in to some kind of plate which could then be cut to fit in side your old hub. You’d use the squared off cable end for sizing because, as far as I’m aware, you can’t drill a square hole…

Chris
Old December 3rd, 2022, 03:43 PM

Just noticed you’re in Napa. Check also with GM Sport Salvage in Stockton and see if you can get ahold of Larry Camuso near San Jose. The first company specializes in A-bodies, but years ago when they were in San Jose, they had some B-C body stuff hanging around in their bins. There’s also Turner’s Auto supply down south, I think near Fresno. They have a few Mid60’s Olds which may have the part you’re looking for.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 06:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

To add to what Chris wrote, this is what the drive feature looks like inside the cap. That brass static suppression spring just fits around it. The spring doesn't have anything to do with driving the speedo cable.

Old February 26th, 2023, 03:16 PM

just an update, Hugo at GM Sports sold me a cap from an earlier full size (64?) and the cap worked out just fine.

Thanks everyone!
Old March 6th, 2023, 09:58 PM

Lh dustcap with speedo drive

Speedo drive dustcap
I have 1