1969 cutlass 442 speedo circuit board

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2013, 03:55 PM

Unhappy 1969 cutlass 442 speedo circuit board

I need the electrical circuit board off the back of a 69 Cutlass 442 speedometer, the guy reinstalling my dash broke the pins the wire harness plugs into. my car is a floor shift car. I tried one from a 68 column shift but it won't fit around where the speedo plugs into. there's just 3 screws that attach these circuit boards so I don't need the whole cluster. Thanks Craig
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:30 PM
Randy C.

Craig,

If you still have the broken off pins, you might try what I did. I removed the printed circuit board from the speedo can. The pins are hollow, so I went to a model store and bought some small screws - small enough to go through the holes in the printed ciruit board from the back side, but big enough to thread into the hollow pins and with a big enough screw head so it would snug up tightly against the back side of the circuit board and pull each pin into the printed circuit. It worked beautifully. I had to be real careful during the process of "threading" each individual screw into each individual pin - patience had it rewards, though. That was 6 years ago and everything still works fine.

Randy C.
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:56 PM

Cool 69 speedo

Ok Randy that was some pretty slick thinking the way you did yours, I tried to solder mine and that didn't work ! if I can't come up with anything I'll sure give it a try sure had to be some small screws. Thanks again Craig

Last edited by 55chevycraig; May 21st, 2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:06 AM

Mine only had 4 circuits. (wires in plug). I bought a cheap 4 wire trailer plug, soldered wires directly to board, other end of plug into harness. Supported weight of plug.
Could not find my broken board plug.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Craig,

If you still have the broken off pins, you might try what I did. I removed the printed circuit board from the speedo can. The pins are hollow, so I went to a model store and bought some small screws - small enough to go through the holes in the printed circuit board from the back side, but big enough to thread into the hollow pins and with a big enough screw head so it would snug up tightly against the back side of the circuit board and pull each pin into the printed circuit. It worked beautifully. I had to be real careful during the process of "threading" each individual screw into each individual pin - patience had it rewards, though. That was 6 years ago and everything still works fine.

Randy C.

I did the same thing on my Rally Pac gauge, I found screws small enough at a hardware store. Turns out 2.5mm screws will fit the holes in the circuit board perfectly.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:47 AM

circuit board repairs

Guys:
I have repaired a few over the years, if anyone does not feel like they can do the repair, drop me a PM here. Depending on pin size, I can also scratch make those as well. Cost is very reasonable compared to cost of new or hassle of finding a good used one, since this is a common problem.
Thanks Ron