1965 Full Size AC line needed

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2023, 06:36 PM
mmmm, starfires

1965 Full Size AC line needed

For a 1965 Starfire/88 possibly others. I need this aluminum line with 90* bend that follows passenger fender and radiator support.
Old May 30th, 2023, 06:40 PM

Good on you for looking for a factory part, but am I wrong to think this is something you could make or have made for not too many $?

Isn’t is just a bent line with fittings and flares on the ends?

All for originality, but finding such a part new & functional would seem like a pretty tall order to me. Or maybe it’s a moment for me to learn.

Cheers
Chris
Old May 30th, 2023, 06:45 PM
mmmm, starfires

Originally Posted by cfair
Good on you for looking for a factory part, but am I wrong to think this is something you could make or have made for not too many $?

Isn’t is just a bent line with fittings and flares on the ends?

All for originality, but finding such a part new & functional would seem like a pretty tall order to me. Or maybe it’s a moment for me to learn.

Cheers
Chris
I found a bent and twisted line off another parts car. Literally the only one I have found. Brought it to a local shop where they were able to salvage the fittings off of it, but they are unable to bend a new tube without kinking it, so I'm kind of stuck unless I can find someone to bend me a proper line.
Old May 30th, 2023, 08:12 PM

I’m not that up on A/C lines, but I’ve bent a bunch of my own steel fuel & vacuum lines.

Unless the line must be aluminum for heat/cool or weird fittings, maybe get some stainless steel line of the right size/gauge, figure out the flare and reuse the fittings.

I freely admit my ignorance about A/C lines, but bending up steel lines can be learned in a weekend with enough practice materials & patience. I may have a post here somewhere about what I did for fuel and vacuum lines. It was fun to learn, I can’t recall if I documented it here.

One big tip is to model up the bends with a coat hanger or welding wire, take that to the bench, then use a quality tubing bender to create your new line. The other important tip is to put the fittings on _before_ you flare the ends. Or you’ll start again. Cuz the fittings won’t slip over the flares.

Hopefully not under-thinking it..
Chris