1965 Cutlass Automatic Floor Shifter

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2013, 12:32 PM

1965 Cutlass Automatic Floor Shifter

Hello.

Looking for an automatic floor shifter for a '65 Cutlass, including mounting brackets and cables.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old July 1st, 2013, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Hello.

Looking for an automatic floor shifter for a '65 Cutlass, including mounting brackets and cables.

Thanks,
Anthony
As I recall, these use metal rod linkage to connect the Jet-a-way tranny with the shifter.
I think the newer style Turbo trannies used cables.
Old July 1st, 2013, 04:03 PM

These are very commonly broken. The shifter shaft is what breaks not the ****. If someone tells you it needs a new **** be suspect of the shifter shaft. There is two nubs on it that break off and it is junk after that. I have seen some use a 78 up shifter which looks correct in the console and is cable shifted.
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by HonestDave
As I recall, these use metal rod linkage to connect the Jet-a-way tranny with the shifter.
I think the newer style Turbo trannies used cables.
My mistake, should had noted linkage, not cables. Thanks for noting the error. Anthony
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
These are very commonly broken. The shifter shaft is what breaks not the ****. If someone tells you it needs a new **** be suspect of the shifter shaft. There is two nubs on it that break off and it is junk after that. I have seen some use a 78 up shifter which looks correct in the console and is cable shifted.
Thank you for the information. Do you know if a replacement shaft is available for the '65 shifter? Use of a '78-up shifter is a good idea if a '65 shifter cannot be found. May possibly go that route.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Thank you for the information. Do you know if a replacement shaft is available for the '65 shifter? Use of a '78-up shifter is a good idea if a '65 shifter cannot be found. May possibly go that route.

Thanks,
Anthony
How do you mate the cable shifter to a metal rod driven Jet-A-Way? Most of the cable shift trannies I've seen have the cable going right into the transmission.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by HonestDave
How do you mate the cable shifter to a metal rod driven Jet-A-Way? Most of the cable shift trannies I've seen have the cable going right into the transmission.
Good question, does anyone know if it is possible to install the '78-later floor shifter into a '65 Cutlass, and connect the cable to the original transmission?
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:14 PM

Just like the th400 and th350 is hooked up. I have a 67 that someone did that to. the bracket on the pan bolts is like that of a th350 and the bracket on the shifter of the trans is just a metal plate with a bolt and clip on it. Very much like a th400 or th350 and it works great.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 06:56 PM

Come to think of it, the cable going into the T350 tranny is the kick-down. I think I need more coffee.....
I'll look at my 442 one day. I've got the T400 with a cable drive Starshifter. Just means stuffing my fat carcass underneath. Maybe no doughnuts tomorrow.
Old July 19th, 2013, 04:46 PM

1965 Console - Use of '78 Newer Shifter

Just like the th400 and th350 is hooked up. I have a 67 that someone did that to. the bracket on the pan bolts is like that of a th350 and the bracket on the shifter of the trans is just a metal plate with a bolt and clip on it. Very much like a th400 or th350 and it works great.
Hello,

Thanks for the information. Does your '67 have a '78 or newer shifter? Not sure if '67 console is similar to a '65, but how did they mount the newer shifter to the console - did the console need to be modified?

If you have photos, could you please forward them so I can show them to my friend.

Thank you,
Anthony
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:56 AM

I did this to a 65 GTO which uses basically the same shifter. I used the whole deal from a 66 (cable shifter) and made a bracket for the transmission and had a machine shop make me a **** like a 65 but had the 66 threads inside----to look at it you can't tell its not a 65 shifter. With the "T" handle in the Olds this might not be possible but then again it might be.
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:49 AM

The 78 up shifter has a round shaft that is similar to the 64-66 auto shifter. It has a similar but different t handle also. When used with the 64-66 console looks very original. Only those that "know it all" will be see a difference. The console and shifter for 67-69 is all totally different than a 64-66. you could make it all work but will look way different.
Old May 20th, 2014, 03:59 AM

The 78 up shifter has a round shaft that is similar to the 64-66 auto shifter. It has a similar but different t handle also. When used with the 64-66 console looks very original. Only those that "know it all" will be see a difference. The console and shifter for 67-69 is all totally different than a 64-66. you could make it all work but will look way different.
exactly what is 78 up shifter? salvage or after market? trying to repair 65 cutlass t handle thanks