1949 Olds 98 Convertible Door Windows

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2018, 12:33 PM

1949 Olds 98 Convertible Door Windows

I need the windows, or just the window frames for both left and right door windows for my 1949 Olds 98 convertible.
Bob

Old December 23rd, 2018, 01:11 PM

Bob, get a Hollanders Interchange book that coveres that year. It has glass interchange. My Hollanders only goes through 1948 but shows that Cadillac 60,61 convertibles interchanged with 48 Olds 98. Might be the same for 1949? If there is an interchange it would double your chances of finding the glass or frames you want.

Also, on Ebay there used to be a guy who made the frames for door windows for several GM 1940s makes. Though he didn't make one specific to my 1947 Olds 68 convertble he did supply me with one for a Buick which I was able to shorten to fit my Olds. He seemed to know a lot about what might interchange and what could be modified to interchange. It saved my butt as there was nothing on used or reproduction market specificially for my 1947. I'd suggest searching Ebay for 1949 Oldsmobile glass.

I'd say the chances of finding good used frames or NOS specifically for a 1949 would be very slim at best. You might check wrecking yards. There is one in Albert Lea MN that specializes in older cars, Some wrecking yards will send out a request through a network of wrecking yards to help you locate your part if they don't have it.
Jerry
Old December 23rd, 2018, 02:44 PM

Dash is near done. Dakota Digital gauges

Old December 23rd, 2018, 03:34 PM

Windows Missing

I( have a set of regulators but no mounting instructions or if they even work. :-/

Old December 23rd, 2018, 03:54 PM

Seats Are In

The seats are done, but will have to be removed for top, carpeting and of course, PAINT!.
Bob

Old January 5th, 2019, 05:37 PM

Door window frame maybe found

Bob, I was digging through some of the left overs from my 47 convertible project (see my earlier window reply) and found a door window frame that measures 23" x 28" and appears to be for the left door.. It is new and just the bare frame. I don't know if it would fit your 98 convertible. As I mentioned in an earlier reply, this window frame is too big for 60 series but can be cut down. The seller was the man who makes window frames and told me this was for a Buick but I could cut it back to fit my Olds. If interested measure your window opening from edge where wing window ends to back of door. That length on my piece is 28 in. The side of my piece with the two counter sunk holes is intended to be the front vertical part of the frame. That part measures 23 in. Your wing window piece should extend down into the door interior far enough that the two bolt screw holes line up with screw holes in the wing window piece. If the holes in the frame don't line up but the frame is long enough you can drill holes in the window frame to fit the holes in the wing glass extension.

door window frame, maybe Oldsmobile

This is the only door frame that I have.
Jerry

Originally Posted by Oldsr4me
I need the windows, or just the window frames for both left and right door windows for my 1949 Olds 98 convertible.
Bob

Old January 9th, 2019, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
Bob, I was digging through some of the left overs from my 47 convertible project (see my earlier window reply) and found a door window frame that measures 23" x 28" and appears to be for the left door.. It is new and just the bare frame. I don't know if it would fit your 98 convertible. As I mentioned in an earlier reply, this window frame is too big for 60 series but can be cut down. The seller was the man who makes window frames and told me this was for a Buick but I could cut it back to fit my Olds. If interested measure your window opening from edge where wing window ends to back of door. That length on my piece is 28 in. The side of my piece with the two counter sunk holes is intended to be the front vertical part of the frame. That part measures 23 in. Your wing window piece should extend down into the door interior far enough that the two bolt screw holes line up with screw holes in the wing window piece. If the holes in the frame don't line up but the frame is long enough you can drill holes in the window frame to fit the holes in the wing glass extension.

door window frame, maybe Oldsmobile

This is the only door frame that I have.
Jerry
Thanks Jerry. I plan to take some measurements in the next few days. I'm also having problem figuring out how the back of the top gets secured to the body of the car right behind the rear seat. I also need the rear glass window.
Bob

Old January 10th, 2019, 12:47 AM

Bob, upholstery, including cloth tops are not in any of the car related skill sets I have. I took mine to an upholstery guy who kind of specializes in convertible tops. He made the soft items for the top as I had the metal pieces--in pieces, and had the same problems you are having trying to figure out what went where. I probably don't need to tell you that the "irons' are hard to figure out. The previous owner built the pillars to which the rotating irons attach. He got it wrong. Someone else in the 46-48 thread sent me photos of his stock pillars. Not sure I saved them but will look. Everything metal pivots from those pillars except the locking parts of the front that affix to the windshield frame. I imagine by 1949 that Olds had revised a lot of the top mechanism so I'm likely not a lot of help in that regard.

The rear window can be made by any good top shop. Its clear plastic and flexible and is sewn to the top material. In the picture that shows the rear window opening there is a black strip that looks like semi hard tar. If memory serves there is a strip of top material below the clear plastic and upholsterers drive tacks through the cloth and into the black strip to affix it to the body. They have some kind of neat trick to fold top material over the tack heads and hide them so it looks very finished. The black material can be supplied through upholstery shops. The stuff in my car was hard as a rock and I had to take it all out chipping and scraping as I went to prepare that part for the upholstery guy. In the last picture it looks like there was a row of snaps that held that part of the top to the upper quarter panel. Not sure if the snaps would have to be undone to lower the top.
I will look through some more of my build photos to see if I can find anything that helps illustrate any of this. For 46-48 A body Olds they put out a special publication about how to lower and raise the top and care for it. They are on ebay from time to time. There might be a similar booklet for your year and model. I think they were included with the car when purchased. Dealers would have their own book on upholstery including convertible top work..
You might have to remind me about searching my build photos for top related stuff.
Hope this is helpful. Jerry
Jerry

Last edited by 47 Convertible; January 10th, 2019 at 12:51 AM.
Old January 10th, 2019, 08:38 AM

Thanks loads Jerry.
Bob
Old January 12th, 2019, 06:57 AM

I had to use a used set of windshield panes. I bought all new side windows, but no door window frames. They need to be about 31.5" X 16".
Bob