Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

pair of Carters from '64 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2013, 02:18 PM
ojh

pair of Carters from '64 Cutlass

I have a pair of 3804S Carters from a '64 442, dealer installed option i think. They are rebuilt and ready to go, i don't have the original intake as it is still on the car.
The carbs are complete and original down to the date code tag - M4.
I still have one of them apart, if you are interested in these carbs shoot me an email: ojh4@verizon.net and i'll send you all the pics you need, inside and out.
They are beautiful.
Thanks, oj

I am asking $800 for the matched pair, shipping from Berryville VA to lower 48 is included.

I also have a large inventory of original carter carb parts, mostly 40's & 50's era, in very good condition with the original factory finish. If there is something special you need shoot me an email and i may have it.

Last edited by ojh; December 20th, 2013 at 05:27 AM. Reason: afterthought
Old December 20th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ojh
I have a pair of 3804S Carters from a '64 442, dealer installed option i think.
Sorry, no. There are no factory dual quad setups from Olds. The only small block dual quad manifolds are from Offy. A dealer may have installed this intake (or not), but it (and the carbs) were not from Olds.
Old December 20th, 2013, 07:04 AM
ojh

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sorry, no. There are no factory dual quad setups from Olds. The only small block dual quad manifolds are from Offy. A dealer may have installed this intake (or not), but it (and the carbs) were not from Olds.
Sorry, you are wrong. This car is as original as it gets, these carbs were on it from the dealer. The original 2X4 is still on the car, the car has 86K miles on it. With the exception of a pair of edelbrock carbs the car sits as delivered in 1964, same spare tire. The master cyl, brake and fuel lines etc have been replaced and the car is now being driven for the first time since the early 70's. It might have the original cigartte butts in the ash tray.
There is no 'maybe' this or 'maybe' that.
Old December 20th, 2013, 07:28 AM
ojh

After further consideration, as i am so sick and tired of internet experts, these carbs are no longer for sale.
Old December 20th, 2013, 07:29 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

I agree with Joe, as I have never seen a dual quad setup on an Olds, except for aftermarket. Three two barrels, yes!

But the carb numbers referenced (3804S) seem to be from a '64-'65 409, rear carb; somebody probably installed them on an aftermarket manifold.

But the good news is that the 3804S is probably worth a fortune to a 409 Chevy guy......lol!

http://www.hemmings.com/partslocator/carburetors.html
Old December 20th, 2013, 07:33 AM

If the car is so original why would you want to sell the original carbs from it?

And Oldsmobile never offered a 2x4 system from the factory.

What brand and size spare tire do you have?

Henry
Old December 20th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ojh
After further consideration, as i am so sick and tired of internet experts, these carbs are no longer for sale.
Good. Many of us are sick of sellers making claims without factory documentation. Suffice to say that in the five decades since this car was built, you are the first person ever to have seen one. As Chris Witt would say, that's SMW 403 kind of rare.

Note that there has never been a single photo of a dual quad SBO manifold with a factory part number. They do not appear in any factory parts book, tech bulletin, sales literature, or period magazine article. Olds DID make a small handful of experimental manifolds, as evidenced by the photo by my screen name to the left of this post. That's a factory experimental dual quad cross ram intake built by Olds and documented in the July 1969 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. I've owned it since 1981. Note that it carries an ERxxxxxx casting number, for Engineering Research. Also note that is was cast in the late 1960s and is set up for Qjets, not Carter carbs (especially not Carter carbs with a Chevy 409 part number...).

Lots of luck with your one-of-none sale.
Old December 20th, 2013, 08:26 AM

pics

Originally Posted by ojh
Sorry, you are wrong. This car is as original as it gets, these carbs were on it from the dealer. The original 2X4 is still on the car, the car has 86K miles on it. With the exception of a pair of edelbrock carbs the car sits as delivered in 1964, same spare tire. The master cyl, brake and fuel lines etc have been replaced and the car is now being driven for the first time since the early 70's. It might have the original cigartte butts in the ash tray.
There is no 'maybe' this or 'maybe' that.

I will stay out of the carb discussion since I already have my mind made up on your originality claim. However any 1964 442 is welcome here. Please post pics of your car for us all to enjoy.
Old December 20th, 2013, 08:33 AM

Question

Originally Posted by ojh

I'm NO internet expert, BUT.......I do have a question.........

Are these the same carbs that you couldn't rebuild in July, and now you are trying to sell them under a different screen name?????

If I am wrong about this, please correct me, and I apologize.....but it's the only set of AFB carbs I have ever seen on a '64 Olds! And there weren't many 442's made in 1964, either, as it was a "police package"
--------------------------------------

Quote:

64 - 330 carb issues?
Hello everyone,

I'm getting my old 442 back on the road after setting about 35 years, so lots of replacements going on. I had to replace my 2 four barrel "AFB's" since they wouldn't rebuild correctly and replaced them with two Eldebrock 500cfm's that seemed to do OK. Had a guy set them up that professed to be carb guy, but not sure, anyway, Car was starting when cold OK, but not real good, but would start good when warm. Took to garage for a clutch, when it came back it didn't want to run, seemed like idel problem. So I reviewed the Eldebrock how to and set the idle - fuel and air per instruction and it started better than ever, and runs smoother, but, it's real Bi#$* to start warm. I'm think I have enough fuel and air, maybe timing? why start cold good, run good, then after warm It don't want to play nice-staring wise??

Ok, let the opinions begin........... you guys always seem to have the answers!!

Thanks "Sixtyfour"

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...sixtyfour.html

Again........if I am wrong about this, and you, "ojh", are not "Sixtyfour", I sincerely apologize; I am not here to stir up any trouble.

I am a long time Olds fan, and just came here to see if anybody needed any Olds parts, and possibly share some Olds information when I can!

I hope everybody has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
Old January 7th, 2014, 08:12 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
I will stay out of the carb discussion since I already have my mind made up on your originality claim. However any 1964 442 is welcome here. Please post pics of your car for us all to enjoy.
Originally Posted by R-body_mopar
I'm NO internet expert, BUT.......I do have a question.........

Are these the same carbs that you couldn't rebuild in July, and now you are trying to sell them under a different screen name?????

If I am wrong about this, please correct me, and I apologize.....but it's the only set of AFB carbs I have ever seen on a '64 Olds! And there weren't many 442's made in 1964, either, as it was a "police package"
--------------------------------------

Quote:

64 - 330 carb issues?
Hello everyone,

I'm getting my old 442 back on the road after setting about 35 years, so lots of replacements going on. I had to replace my 2 four barrel "AFB's" since they wouldn't rebuild correctly and replaced them with two Eldebrock 500cfm's that seemed to do OK. Had a guy set them up that professed to be carb guy, but not sure, anyway, Car was starting when cold OK, but not real good, but would start good when warm. Took to garage for a clutch, when it came back it didn't want to run, seemed like idel problem. So I reviewed the Eldebrock how to and set the idle - fuel and air per instruction and it started better than ever, and runs smoother, but, it's real Bi#$* to start warm. I'm think I have enough fuel and air, maybe timing? why start cold good, run good, then after warm It don't want to play nice-staring wise??

Ok, let the opinions begin........... you guys always seem to have the answers!!

Thanks "Sixtyfour"

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...sixtyfour.html

Again........if I am wrong about this, and you, "ojh", are not "Sixtyfour", I sincerely apologize; I am not here to stir up any trouble.

I am a long time Olds fan, and just came here to see if anybody needed any Olds parts, and possibly share some Olds information when I can!

I hope everybody has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

ojh, as said above, I sincerely apologize if I was wrong in my speculation, but, as oldsmobiledave said above......let's see some pictures of your car; perhaps we can get more background on the 2 4bbls.; I would be interested in the history of the car, if they were experimental or ???

Have a great day!