Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Cragars for sale

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2020, 05:06 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Cragars for sale

Cragars for sale 15x8 and 15x7. The BS. Is pretty much the same as any stock GM wheel with the rear wheels having 1 inch extra towards the outside. Uni lug bolt style which will fit most 5 lug studs with the correct lug nuts ( currently on a 5x5 bolt pattern GM but will fit 5x 4.75. I can measure. The back spacing if need be. They are all in very good shape 1 wheel has a stain where a cat peed on it. Yes that's a thing lol. But it's just small yellowish tint on the chrome. The tires are all in great shape but are on the older side . i want to say i bought the wheels and tires back in 2009 and they might have 6k miles always stored inside so no cracking or splitting. Definitely drivers imo the wife drove the car alot this past summer. Front tires are 215/65/15 rears are 225/60/15 I would prefer local pickup . i also can meet up or deliver. Asking 750 OBO.

Last edited by coppercutlass; January 15th, 2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old January 15th, 2020, 08:11 PM

They will fit 5 x 4½, 5 x 4¾, and 5x5. There are two types washes for the Cragar SS wheel ....round and offset. Round is for the 5 x 4¾ and the offset is used for the other two. They are to help center the wheel and uses the two small tabs near the lug nut hole to do so. Also SS washers are convex to evenly distribute the load on the wheel and are a bit thicker than standard mag washers.

If you zoom in you can see what I'm talking about.

washers

Last edited by svnt442; January 15th, 2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old January 15th, 2020, 08:43 PM

Mag lug nuts are usually convex or "cupped" . what was on there was what pops got with the wheels. Never had any issues although I'm well aware of the s/s unique washers. Im not a fan of cragars so during this winters work they are the first thing to go. Car needs to go on a diet.

Last edited by coppercutlass; January 15th, 2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old January 15th, 2020, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Mag lug nuts are usually convex or "cupped" . what was on there was what pops got with the wheels. Never had any issues although I'm well aware of the s/s unique washers. Im not a fan of cragars so during this winters work they are the first thing to go. Car needs to go on a diet.
I just noticed that you didn't have them and wanted the info out there. I used to sell these many moons ago so I know what goes with them and what they fit.
GLWS.
Old January 17th, 2020, 10:26 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Hijack sort of....svnt...are you the resident expert on what wheel fits what car? Or are you referring to just the fasteners(nuts) and uni-lug washers?
Reason I ask as Ive been trying to source new SS Caragars for a 68 vette. The wheels we just purchased wont clear the outer caliper face or the ebrake cable bracket. Offset must clear the calipers. Purchased from Summit. Tech said they would fit...they dont without spacers which requires longer studs which will bring the tire/rim combo out beyond the body, YUK! Size ordered was 15x8" with 4" OS.

The 68 vette only OEM Ralley wheels are 15x7 with 3 3/4" offset. I know Cragar did make this wheel many years ago. 68 vette is a one year wonder like the 68 442. The ebrake bracket, outer caliper face and spring/shock mounts cause all the trouble on 68 vettes.
These will fit the 442 so I may keep them.
Old January 17th, 2020, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Hijack sort of....svnt...are you the resident expert on what wheel fits what car? Or are you referring to just the fasteners(nuts) and uni-lug washers?
Reason I ask as Ive been trying to source new SS Caragars for a 68 vette. The wheels we just purchased wont clear the outer caliper face or the ebrake cable bracket. Offset must clear the calipers. Purchased from Summit. Tech said they would fit...they dont without spacers which requires longer studs which will bring the tire/rim combo out beyond the body, YUK! Size ordered was 15x8" with 4" OS.

The 68 vette only OEM Ralley wheels are 15x7 with 3 3/4" offset. I know Cragar did make this wheel many years ago. 68 vette is a one year wonder like the 68 442. The ebrake bracket, outer caliper face and spring/shock mounts cause all the trouble on 68 vettes.
These will fit the 442 so I may keep them.
If my memory serves me (it's been 24 years) the reason isn't the offset of the Cragars, but the shape of the spokes that cause the clearance issue on the Vette. I don't think you will be able to get a set to clear without spacers, unfortunately. I worked at Super Shops and we wouldn't install spacers for safety reasons. I'm not telling you not to, but if you did you would need wheels with the increased backspacing (more positive offset) to compensate for the pushout from the spacer so as not to hit on the wheel lip. BUT that would get the spokes away from the caliper face and clear the parking brake bracket.
I guess it just depends on how badly you want the wheels on the car.
I remember we had similar issues with some wheels on fox body Mustang GT's and LX 5.0's , but not the 4 and 6 cyl models because of the difference in the calipers.
Old January 18th, 2020, 10:08 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Thanks for that info. Ya, the rear face of the spokes is the problem. Don't want to use spacers. Just have to live with it for now. The aftermarket wheels on it now are OK Ind I have the OEM Ralleys with rings and derby caps. That's what I'll likely go back to.
I have 4 NIB 15x8" Cragar SS wheels I will likely sell.

Back to your regularly scheduled show...Copper take a picture of the rear of the spokes, please.
Old January 18th, 2020, 04:46 PM

I will take a pic tommorow
Old January 26th, 2020, 08:28 AM

which wheel do you need a picture of. sorry about the delay. I just pulled the body off of that car the wheels where on.
Old January 29th, 2020, 04:42 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Interested in the design of the older wheels vs the new. Flip them over and take a shot of the backside of the spokes. Im trying to see if they are the same as the new ones I just bought.
Do you or did you have a good amount of lug nut thread engagement? These new wheels seem quite thick. I'm only getting 3/8 to 1/2" of stud engagement. I'd need to install longer studs for me to be happy.
TX Steve
Old January 29th, 2020, 08:23 PM

Interested in the design of the older wheels vs the new. Flip them over and take a shot of the backside of the spokes. Im trying to see if they are the same as the new ones I just bought.
Do you or did you have a good amount of lug nut thread engagement? These new wheels seem quite thick. I'm only getting 3/8 to 1/2" of stud engagement. I'd need to install longer studs for me to be happy.
TX Steve
It sounds like you are using the wrong lug nuts. The SS takes specific lug nuts for proper stud engagement with the nuts.
Old January 30th, 2020, 06:47 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Maybe. They were ordered through Summit with "matching" nuts? Have to look closer. These were for the 68 Vette but they don't fit as promised. The lug pattern is the same on the 68 442. But the studs dont poke through the wheel enough for my comfort.
Old January 30th, 2020, 08:02 PM

Maybe. They were ordered through Summit with "matching" nuts? Have to look closer. These were for the 68 Vette but they don't fit as promised. The lug pattern is the same on the 68 442. But the studs dont poke through the wheel enough for my comfort.
That won't matter if you have the correct lug nuts. The shanks are long enough to grab enough of the stud so that they are safe to use. Now the spacer can make it an issue.
Old January 31st, 2020, 03:55 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

The 68 vette already had thin spacers to make the aftermarket wheels work. Very thin 3/8". The SS Cragers hit the caliper and ebrake bracket rear only. 68 vette is a one year wonder like the 68 442. So I wanted to see if they would work on the 442. Thats when I ran into the stud depth issue. Ill take a pic to show what Im describing.
Old February 8th, 2020, 10:01 AM

Old April 16th, 2020, 07:59 PM

Are these still for sale?
Old April 16th, 2020, 08:09 PM

Yes
Old April 17th, 2020, 05:22 PM

Pm sent