Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

7040253 (1970 4-speed) Carburetor-- Replated and Rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2014, 03:54 PM

Maybe I'm just spitballin' here, but those four little dots could be from the "gang" holding the numbers together while the actual stamping is done. Does anyone know FOR SURE if carbs. were stamped in "gang" style or each digit was done individually?
Old September 14th, 2014, 04:44 PM

I never claimed to be an expert

never bought a carb from CJ"s

far as responsibility to a degree, hence this thread and the previous one to educate everyone as a whole. With that in mind and in present and future context one can hopefully discriminate among the legit carbs and the fraudulent ones as well as other parts.
Old September 14th, 2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
So, are you saying the pic of the 254 in the ad is bogus or the real deal? The two little dots are NOT in the same location as in the pic of the 253 that is listed for sale. Is that NOT a service date on the Carb Junkies 254?
From the pic it looks suspect and plus the fact I have called various times in the 5 years and they always have one. One phone call and I quote " give us your build date of your car and we will find one for you" This was my first call 5 years ago and I was quite naïve then.

Sam gave me his opinion and maybe he will state it.

Could be a service replacement date but personally imo I think that's the new trend - re-stamp carbs w alleged service replacement dates or legit.
Old September 14th, 2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
http://www.carbjunkys.com/theShop.html

this is Carb Junkies website
check out the 2954 -69 W-30 carb
tell me what you think

now keep in mind 4 years ago they had some
2 years ago had some and now present day they do

Also keep in mind 1100 or so W-30's made in 69
I know a few years ago there were some NOS 9254 carbs floating around. I think Octania had some.
Old September 14th, 2014, 05:22 PM

I'm not an expert either; just a die hard Olds enthusiast who owns some cars and and one who does not sell parts very often. I have sold a handful of parts over the last 15 years.

I too have NOT purchased any carbs directly from CJ.

However, I did buy 2 carbs from an individual in Zion IL. We, (Vader and I) later found out that the individual in Zion IL was getting some carbs from CJ. I sold the carbs to Vader for less than what I had into them as I needed to put money together quickly to purchase another W machine. I also passed on to Vader the contact information to the fellow in Zion IL. At a later date, Vader visited this individuals home to inquire about some parts.

If Mike, (Vader) is referring to me as the individual that has purchased from CJ - then you Vader- are wrong my friend. IF you think the carbs I sold you weren't what you thought you were receiving then I still have NO problem in refunding your $. No problem on my end my friend. Interesting how this was never brought up before.

Vader, you even referred to the fact in an email to dnmfranco that "Sam purchased the carbs from XXX in Zion Il who purchased them from CJ."

So, I know that you know I never purchased **** directly from CJ like yourself. I am sure that dnmfranco can attest to this information that you told him in an email.

Again, I don't sell parts - but I am always looking to purchase the next car not the next part to sell.

Vader has also sent some items to the "facility" for testing in the past - some parts were discovered to be fake re- stamps. He had bought these items from 2 other OLDS individuals. He had NO idea of these parts not being real until they were tested by the facility and returned to him with details!

There are fake items floating around out there everywhere. The original post was to help all of us to learn and keep our OLDS hobby real!

Cheers,
Sam

Last edited by 72xw30; September 14th, 2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old September 14th, 2014, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vader
Yes, we both have owned and sold from Carb Junkys. Forgive my incorrect semantics. My understanding of the CJ business is that they are 100% legit, and have bought, rebuilt and sold thousands of carbs. Hence, they are the experts, far and above most individuals here.
If it's "proven" that their carbs are fake, I'll be in the line with everyone else who has a claim. My issue is shooting the messengers in a public forum.
I would rather work it out with Chris then to be publicly stoned.
The carb you sold me was bought by Dean.. so there ya go .

And we already know this Mike ----

- as you already stated in an email to Dean that Sam got the carbs from Zion IL who had purchased them from CJ - as we later found out??. NO??? Dean?

So Dean got the carb I sold you right?
So automatically you are saying that the carb from CJ is NOT real and I owe Dean $.

Remember this I've never purchased from CJ, ZERO!!!
The only connection I have are theses 2 carbs that I was unaware of where they came from at the time I bought them from Zion IL.

How many carbs have you bought directly from CJ Vader? They seem to know you very well!!

Again I own cars Not sell parts!!!

Nice try...lol

Sam

Last edited by 72xw30; September 14th, 2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old September 14th, 2014, 06:18 PM

I'm certainly not out to publicly stone anyone, and I hope no one else here is either. I was happy to have the opportunity to purchase this carb from Mike a few months ago. He was great about it, and even let me pay him with a deposit and a weekly payment plan. It's a beautiful carburetor, factory stamped or fraudulently restamped. In essence, a "restamped" carb this nice is to all carburetors what a Thornton OAI repro hood is to all factory OAI hoods. Someone took a lot more time and effort to make this carb beautiful than the peon who slapped it on a manifold on an assembly line 44 years ago. Am I off the mark here?
Old September 14th, 2014, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Vader
Thanks Chris. You know how we worked this out and thats our business. Email me and we'll work something out.
I've sold a lot of parts on this board and have always tried to provide a lot of pictures and any info I could. Never had a part returned except 2: a console because of a broken mount, and a set of H heads... so what did I do... I sent a second set of H heads without him sending me the cash and told him to pick the ones he wanted. Worked out great.
I've enjoyed the business and comradery on here but I just do this for fun..
it's no longer fun. Later
So you're no longer having fun because you may or may not have to take a part back? Really? I don't know your reputation but if it's as good as you and others say this shouldn't be a problem.
Old September 15th, 2014, 09:46 AM

To respond to Dave's question about stampings. I am certain that they used a jig to stamp that part numbers on. It would be almost impossible to stamp each number separately and have them even and level like they are. That said, on a 1970 model the "70402" is first stamped into the carb. Since all Olds carbs would start out this way it is obvious the body's could all have this number on it before the carb was assembled into its specific application. Later when the carb was set up for its specific model it would receive the final 2 numbers. As far as re-stampings go, a friend of mine told me about a company from the mid west that re-stamps that he had a carb from. He did not say the company he bought it from but they did admit it was a re-stamp and did disclose how they re-stamp it. They grind the last number off and then build it back up and then re-stamp it. So that is one way how they are doing it, and would account for how the last digit looks different in various ways from the rest of the stampings. hope this helps.
Old September 15th, 2014, 08:10 PM

Mike (Vader) and myself have come to an agreement and this carburetor is no longer for sale. He and I never had an issue. We worked it out and all is well. Thanks to anyone who had good intentions. Mods, feel free to close this thread.
Old September 15th, 2014, 08:46 PM

Glad it worked it out for all