Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

69 442

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Alb

69 442

Well I went and looked at the 69 442 yesterday. It has a 455 in it that is blown up. He thinks it is #2 cyl.rod bearing. No water pump on the engine. The front fenders need patch panels. Both 1/4 panels need repaired right behind the doors. Real wheel wells are great as with the rest of the panels. Both doors need repaired at the bottom where they meet the fenders.. There is a hole in the floor boards on the drivers side. The hood has some rust issues also but, can be repaired.It has a vinyl top with some bubbles at the rear window. Trim is in good shape. But the side markers, tail lights and hood extentions need replaced.Trunk is in great shape.It has a 4 speed,bucket seats and console. They are ok for a driver but no show quality.Frame looks to be in good shape. He told me that when he bought it in 1985 he cleaned and painted then undercoated the frame.The car has been sitting since 1987 in a non heated garage.The car was originally green and now it is maroon.They painted under the hood the same color. Looks like sh$$. I wish I would have taken my camera to show some pics. of it. My question is. I know this is kind of bad with no pics. But is the car worth $1000.
Alb
Old July 7th, 2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Alb
Well I went and looked at the 69 442 yesterday. It has a 455 in it that is blown up. He thinks it is #2 cyl.rod bearing. No water pump on the engine. The front fenders need patch panels. Both 1/4 panels need repaired right behind the doors. Real wheel wells are great as with the rest of the panels. Both doors need repaired at the bottom where they meet the fenders.. There is a hole in the floor boards on the drivers side. The hood has some rust issues also but, can be repaired.It has a vinyl top with some bubbles at the rear window. Trim is in good shape. But the side markers, tail lights and hood extentions need replaced.Trunk is in great shape.It has a 4 speed,bucket seats and console. They are ok for a driver but no show quality.Frame looks to be in good shape. He told me that when he bought it in 1985 he cleaned and painted then undercoated the frame.The car has been sitting since 1987 in a non heated garage.The car was originally green and now it is maroon.They painted under the hood the same color. Looks like sh$$. I wish I would have taken my camera to show some pics. of it. My question is. I know this is kind of bad with no pics. But is the car worth $1000.
Alb
If you can get your money back in parts (and you can) it's worth it. If you're looking for something to restore I'd find one further along in the restoration process for a little more money. There are many cars out there that already have floors welded in, 1/4's repaired, and a bunch of resto parts accumulated that sell for a couple thousand more. My car came with floor pans welded in, a three piece trunk pan set, fender patch panels, new wiring harnesses, new carpet, etc, etc, etc. I still had to do a ton of work but I didn't pay much more than the 69 you're looking at.
Old July 7th, 2011, 06:15 AM

if your question is it worth $1000, then I would say , yes. If your second question is it worth your time, effort and more money to make it into something that you are proud of, then that question has to be answered by you. On a relativity scale, spending more and having a nicer vehicle to begin work on would obviously make your life easier. But if you are waiting on a great car at an unbelievable price, then you have to weigh how much time and effort is spent on that effort.

As is always the case, one man's trash is another man's gold mine.
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Alb
It has a vinyl top with some bubbles at the rear window.
Alb
Expect a lot of pinchweld rust when you remove the vinyl top. This sounds more like a $500 parts car to me.
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Expect a lot of pinchweld rust when you remove the vinyl top. This sounds more like a $500 parts car to me.
I may be missing something, but a 4 speed, consol and bucket seats here are worth more than $500. I'd go ****** that car up for $1000. I'm looking for a fender for my 68 and ones that need patch panels are $100 - $200. The only one I found that doesn't need a patch is priced at $400! Quarter panels are nearly impossible to find. I'd pay $200+ for one like this car has. Fender and door trim is $30 to $50 each piece. No mention of bumpers but if it has even a core rear w/ cutouts that's $200. Atleast $100 for a front core.

To me $1000 for the car sounds like a steal. JMO

Don
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:29 PM

I kinda agree with you Don, not to mention a few bills for the rear end especially if it is a posi ( most likely), some more for the sway bar and boxed arms, but I have to say the realization is sticker shock... people just ask crazy money, then you try to find out what heads are on the 455? what manifold etc etc etc there is gold in dem dar rust hills LOL...
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:32 PM

Besides.....

it saves some crumb buying it and flogging the vin, title, and plate on flea bay after he scrounged all the parts from it.... it is a 442 after all....
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:34 PM

I would gladly pay a grand for a car like that around here!