Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

'66 Olds Tri-Carb Manifold & Carbs

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2009, 07:04 PM

'66 Olds Tri-Carb Manifold & Carbs

What's the current value of a bare '66 Olds three carb manifold bare? How about with restored correct carbs, linkage, & fuel lines?
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:53 PM

Years ago the first one I bought I paid $100 for a complete one. I had a friend pick up a nice complete one at a garage sale for $20 he quickly sold it on Hemmings and made a few bucks. Another friend bought one on the side that didn't hit the reserve on ebay from a Oldsmobile big shot out east. He wanted to sell it on the side for a reason...it had been welded and had stripped out holes. It looked like it was on the bottom of the Mississippi river for 20 years.
My 2 cents would be buy one now because I believe they will continue to go up in value. I talked to the people that were going to make a repro and they abandoned the project.
Good luck... I have a friend with this one ready to go but it's not for sale.
Old April 12th, 2009, 09:51 PM

This is really not a complicated setup to restore exactly as sold by Oldsmobile. As MN71W30 said, the glass fuel filter is hard to find, but they are around. If the carb casting numbers are right, manifold is not cracked or damaged, the rest of the setup is kind of a no-brainer. It uses the same carb castings as the '66 Pontiac. Correct Pontiac setups can be had for around $1,000. Carb coloring and restoration is not rocket science with these carbs. The air cleaners are exactly like the '66 Pontiac, and very good repros are available. Linkage is available that looks and functions exactly like the original. Fuel lines and fittings are available.

I sold a restored set of carbs to a guy last year for $1,700. He wanted bright yellow zinc plating, which is what I supplied--not dichromate as the factory did.

So, the only rare piece is the manifold. I tried trading two '66 Pontiac Tripower manifolds for a '66 Olds Tri-Carb manifold and the guy laughed at me. I sold those two bare Pontiac manifolds on eBay for over $400 each. Too bad the Olds repros never happened. The Pontiac ones are really nice.
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM

I am a Pontiac guy. I aquired this AZ Olds manifold recently for which I have no use, hence my question on what it's worth. I also have several sets of correct carbs for the '66 Olds setup. I also have a '66 Pontiac manifold with original '66 Olds linkage and fuel distribution block on it. The repro Olds linkage and fuel distribution block look identical to the originals I have. I bought an AC glass fuel filter off eBay recently that has the 5/16" tapped hole in the boss on top, cast "AC" letters on top, and 3/8" female pipe connections on each side. It's hard to get excited about a fuel filter that has the top portion hidden by the mounting bracket. There are very few people, including Olds entusiasts, that could determine whether the one I have is correct or not.

There are Pontiac enthusiasts that are very confrontational on details regarding correctness, also. I believe this hobby is about collecting, restoring, and preserving our favorite old cars, not arguing about how correct each specific item is.
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:40 PM
"me somebody" site member

Mike Siedlik has reproed the correct fuel bowl and will sell the complete assemply or just the top (for $210, a steal if you ask me):

http://www.thegoodoldsdays.com/realoldsmobile.asp

He also sometimes sells the filters and other tri-carb stuff on Ebay (like the correct L69 bellcrank, carb tags, etc).
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:51 AM

aliensatemybuick,
Thanks for the info on Mike. I've talked with him in the past and bought the mounting kit for the fuel filter on a '66 Olds Tri-Carb setup.
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:56 PM

Siedlik is detail oriented and has the only correct repro fuel line set for 3x2. I have seen 3x2 offered for $2500 with wrong carbs, linkage, lines, etc. Parts Place was working on repro manifolds and has the carbs. I don't know the current status on these projects. I have also seen lots of restored" cars with incorrect parts and finish on Tri Carb stuff. Sometimes that results from cost to do it right, availability of correct parts, sometimes ignorance (often combined with a belligerent attitude) lol.

The AZ manifold is the best casting. An Olds service guild bulleting described using Permatex #1 on the carb mounting gaskets with the earlier (AL, AU) castings because they did not seal the vacuum port under the center carb. the AZ has a bigger carb base for the center carb to cure the problem.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:43 PM

My understanding is that there were only 2,129 of these manifolds made so determining worth could be challenging. I do know what it cost to do mine five years ago. I realize that most people looking for these don't want ceramic coated manifolds, painted carbs, and chromed linkage and fuel lines, etc. I see these for sale on E bay from time to time, some that are incomplete, incorrect carbs, missing linkage , no glass fuel bowls, so you have to ask yourself do you really want one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
66_Olds_3_deuce.jpg (33.6 KB, 93 views)
66_Olds_442.jpg (3.3 KB, 453 views)

Last edited by 442garage; April 15th, 2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Banned

there is one on craigslist somewhere for $3800

what he gets is a different story im sure.
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:23 AM
"me somebody" site member

On the subject of correct fuel lines, some years back (before the repros were available) I bought a correct tri-carb fuel bowl off Ebay, and got a set of what were purported to be original copper fuel lines and fittings as well. The bowl was the right one, and thus I have no reason to think that the lines aren't original as well. They are a bit twisted, and have a "patina", but to anyone who can use them, I'd be happy to send for free. PM me if interested.

ON EDIT: These have been claimed (guess the price was right!)

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; April 16th, 2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:59 PM

I picked up a thermosat housing today from a local salvage yard. Still need to make a decision on whether to paint the manifold '66 Olds engine bronze or leave it bare. Whoever buys it may want to use his own paint to match his engine.

I've attached photos with a couple of Pontiac end carbs setting on the manifold.
Attached Images
100_5694.jpg (80.5 KB, 90 views)
100_5696.jpg (70.6 KB, 70 views)
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
It's a sickness!

This is what I thought would look nice on my engine. The car too far from factory to worry about a stock restoration on the tri-power.Everything is completely rebuilt. My dad found a basket case in a barn.
Before:

Can you guys tell me some tips on adjusting?

Now:
DSC04765.jpg

Yeah, that's powder coat on the carbs.

Last edited by Toyaholic; May 6th, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:37 AM

2129 Tri Carb cars were produced. More setups were made and sold via GMPD. The complete conversion package was 397615.
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:02 AM
It's a sickness!

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
2129 Tri Carb cars were produced. More setups were made and sold via GMPD. The complete conversion package was 397615.
Any way to deturmine if the manifold came on a car or from GMPD?
Old November 19th, 2013, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Toyaholic
This is what I thought would look nice on my engine. The car too far from factory to worry about a stock restoration on the tri-power.Everything is completely rebuilt. My dad found a basket case in a barn.
Before:

Can you guys tell me some tips on adjusting?

Now:

Yeah, that's powder coat on the carbs.
Old November 19th, 2013, 03:23 PM

Toyaholic, where did you get those valve covers?.................Blaze442
Old November 19th, 2013, 06:09 PM

I've watched over the past year or so on ebay bare 66 Tricarb manifolds sell for 1200-1400 range.

Henry
Old November 20th, 2013, 03:25 AM
It's a sickness!

Originally Posted by blaze442
Toyaholic, where did you get those valve covers?.................Blaze442
Found them on ebay. Added the Krinkle coat piant in the grooves to match the breather top plates.

Securing them with show polished stainless bolts, so had to isolate them with a steel washer..... I painted the washers krinkle coat black, too.
Old November 21st, 2013, 04:26 PM

Fuel line

Blaze442
Very nice pics I see that you have rubber hose up close to the 4 way block. Everybody has told me to keep from having a fire use steel line down to fuel pump. your car is too nice to have it visited by the fire dept.
Best Regards
Guy Fillinger
Old November 21st, 2013, 04:44 PM

I have two sets of those M/T valve covers one that has had the M/T ground off to add emblems like you did. I like the outcome of them.
Old November 21st, 2013, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Guy Fillinger
Blaze442
Very nice pics I see that you have rubber hose up close to the 4 way block. Everybody has told me to keep from having a fire use steel line down to fuel pump. your car is too nice to have it visited by the fire dept.
Best Regards
Guy Fillinger
Old November 21st, 2013, 05:39 PM
It's a sickness!

Yikes! FIRE!!??

I pulled the Chevy engine out of it when Olds went out of business and dropped it into by Dad's frame off GMC short bed. Had a rubber line on it and it caught on fire. I think a belt came off and damaged the rubber line. Not too mush damage to the truck, just bubbled the fresh paint on the hood and some underhood goodies.
blowermotorreworked2.jpg

Notice the chunk out of the rubber fuel line....
11-05amp06-04OgdensburgNY454ampCharger041.jpg
Old November 21st, 2013, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by bocoogto
I picked up a thermosat housing today from a local salvage yard. Still need to make a decision on whether to paint the manifold '66 Olds engine bronze or leave it bare. Whoever buys it may want to use his own paint to match his engine.

I've attached photos with a couple of Pontiac end carbs setting on the manifold.
Old November 21st, 2013, 05:49 PM

bocoogto, How much for the manifold?.......................Blaze442