Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1971 cutlass engine and tranny..also have power disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2014, 09:29 AM

1971 cutlass engine and tranny..also have power disc brakes

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]I have my olds rocket 350 and TH350 transmission for sale. the engine has the #7 HEADS, Mallory unilite distributer, new plugs new wires, Quadra jet has been rebuilt, also has flowtech ceramic long tube headers, the tranny shifts perfect and engine runs great. The only reason I am selling this and please OLDS guys don’t bash going to a LS swap and OD tranny, I am asking $800 obo I would prefer not to separate this but will entertain all offers the engine is still in car but can be pulled in a day. as I am waiting on the shop to get me in..2542143514...I can send more pics or video of the car running with it. I am in Texas and can meet with in San Antonio, Dallas, Austin Area or with in 2 hours of those areas..

I also have used OEM parts for power front disc brake conversion, calipers, booster, porp valve, master cylinder, rotors and spindles all put together ready to bolt on. Asking $150 thanks for looking.

2014-02-09 13 33 52.jpg

2014-02-09 13 34 07.jpg

2014-02-10 18 09 45.jpg

2014-02-10 18 10 24.jpg

2014-02-10 18 11 37.jpg

Last edited by delta254; February 11th, 2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:52 PM

I will take it.
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:18 PM

brakes sold engine and tranny sale pending
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:31 PM

Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:28 PM

Thank you for the engine. I will put it to good use.
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:48 AM

Your are welcome I would have loved to stay and talk some but we were in a hurry to get back.
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by delta254
The only reason I am selling this and please OLDS guys don’t bash going to a LS swap and OD tranny
Have you started a thread yet in the Non Olds Powered section of the site? I'd love to follow that as I'm interested in some of the changes you're doing.
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:46 AM

I know everyone has their own outlook, and I am not criticizing anyone, but I still cannot understand why an Oldsmobile drivetrain would be swapped out for a modern GM/Chevy drivetrain. Oldsmobile's have always been taken cross country and back in the past without a problem, so why all this concern now about reliability for these touring and cruising trips. I can understand the overdrive, or going to a numerically lower highway gear as an alternative for the fuel mileage and drivability, but it seems what Oldsmobile's were always noted for, their reliability plus power, is being forgotten with these so-called upgrades. Just my opinion.
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:35 AM

Sorry I have not started a thread on this build I am having a shop do all the work for me it wil be hard to get pics...But i can tell you what I have purchased so far.

2005 chevy 5.3 105K miles with 4l60E tranny and ecm, typhoon ls1 intake because the truck intake is too tall,ISKY racing cam not sure on specs, Shift works 4L60E tranny upgrade kit and a a kit from BR hotrods to make installation a breeze. Headman mid headers, and a electric fuel pump kit.

I liked my olds engine but for me it was not a relieablity issues I was going to do just a overdrive so I went ahead a did a full engine swap as well. My car is not a number matching car that why I did it, if it would have been numbers matching I would just have beefed up my rocket 350.. I will post pics when its done..thanks guys
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Administrator

I'd like to know the costs involved, since your relatively local? Are you doing gears also?
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:10 AM

Cutlass

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I'd like to know the costs involved, since your relatively local? Are you doing gears also?
Im getting it done at a shop in Waco..we havent got to gears yet still dont know as far as cost Im trying to stay around $4000 to $5000 with parts and labor.
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by anthonyP
I know everyone has their own outlook, and I am not criticizing anyone, but I still cannot understand why an Oldsmobile drivetrain would be swapped out for a modern GM/Chevy drivetrain. Oldsmobile's have always been taken cross country and back in the past without a problem, so why all this concern now about reliability for these touring and cruising trips. I can understand the overdrive, or going to a numerically lower highway gear as an alternative for the fuel mileage and drivability, but it seems what Oldsmobile's were always noted for, their reliability plus power, is being forgotten with these so-called upgrades. Just my opinion.
I think I understand your point. I look at this with an open mind. There are various things to consider with the driveline replacement though. I tend to like keeping the car original but even I can see the value in upgrades, especially if it makes the car more user friendly at the pumps and for overall drive-ability. I've seen some modern GM drivetrains dropped into 70's series Cutlass that follow the theme of Oldsmobile back in the day - Build it the way you want it. Since the Oldsmobile brand was discontinued 10 years ago the new generations will never really know what part of the GM heritage they missed out on. First Olds, then Saturn, then Pontiac.....which brand will be next? I know for sure it won't be Chevy or Cadillac.
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:33 PM

I guess if you want to upgrade an Oldsmobile with a new or newer GM/Chevy engine, then it would make more sense to use an '78 or newer model with a non-Olds engine, since Oldsmobile had more or less been forced to use Chevy or other GM corporate engines due to shortages and other reasons. Also, if the factory Oldsmobile engine is either shot or missing, at least replace it with another Oldsmobile engine. If you must do a non-Olds engine/drivetrain upgrade on an Oldsmobile, for touring, cruising, or whatever reason you may have, then at least choose a model that was never equipped with the more favorable and better Olds engine/drivetrain. There are plenty out there that were built in the later years with a Chevy, Buick, or Pontiac engine.

One of the things I find strange is that the muscle cars of late 60's and throughout the 70's always seemed to be the group of cars that did not need the upgrading for driving and cruising, in comparison to the earlier cars - in addition to not having the amount of electronic, safety, computer, and/or emission equipment found after the seventies, that made those cars less desirable. Installing newer, more modern, equipment, engines, and such, just seems to be counterproductive and inconceivable just a few years ago.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by anthonyP; February 25th, 2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old March 16th, 2014, 04:49 PM

Hey Delta,

What all are you getting for 4 to 5K? Can you please be specific as I am looking at doing some work on my (Really my wife's) car in the very near future too. I have been looking at, A. Upgrading to a monstrous Big Block, B. Putting a fresh 350 Rocket in it, C. Going with an LS and OD transmission. I am still in the research phase, but I want to make something happen before summer.